Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)  (Read 2443 times)

CrazyPugLady

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:05:56 am »

Hey folks,

quick question about printing borderless (A4). How to avoid getting messy backsides? After making 5 A4-sized prints that were ok, I realized the following prints all had nasty black smears all over the backside. I noticed that the "spit pads" (porous pads that catch the overspray on the sides) where pretty wet and therefore smudging the prints on the back. No problem to clean them, it's quick and easy, but I never had to do this with my Canons in between print sessions. How often do you clean them? Every X prints DURING print sessions? I guess it would probably be easier not doing borderless and just cut from the roll...

Kind regards
Logged

Frodo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 152
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:21:16 pm »

In my P600 print dialog, I have an "expansion" option for borderless.  This determines how much the print is enlarged beyond the edge of the paper.  Where I have to go borderless (I try to avoid that as I don't think that the "spit pads" are user-replaceable), I see the expansion at minimum.  This gives me a fine white line (less than a mm) around the edge of the print, giving me some confidence that overspray has been minimised. The thin edge is easily trimmed off.  If you want to avoid trimming, you may be able to play with the expansion setting.
Logged

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:59:02 pm »

The 4900 uses a "border free" maintenance tank which can be replaced.  You may find replacing that will help.  After pulling it, you may also want to check to see in there is ink inside the printer in the transport mechanism that has migrated there from an over saturated border free tank.
Logged

BobShaw

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2272
    • Aspiration Images
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:00:13 am »

I guess it would probably be easier not doing borderless and just cut from the roll...
Yes. Similar problem years ago and that is the solution.
Borderless just wastes ink.
Logged
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Farmer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2848
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:37:03 am »

As Wayne says, it's not just the pads.  IIRC this is a resurrected 4900?  So definitely check that tank but more importantly make sure that water will drain through to it with the pads removed in case there is an ink build up.
Logged
Phil Brown

CrazyPugLady

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:48:57 am »

Thanks for answering, guys! :-)

In my P600 print dialog, I have an "expansion" option for borderless.  This determines how much the print is enlarged beyond the edge of the paper.  Where I have to go borderless (I try to avoid that as I don't think that the "spit pads" are user-replaceable), I see the expansion at minimum.  This gives me a fine white line (less than a mm) around the edge of the print, giving me some confidence that overspray has been minimised. The thin edge is easily trimmed off.  If you want to avoid trimming, you may be able to play with the expansion setting.

Good idea. I haven't touched the expansion setting so far.

The porous pads however, are easily replaceable. At least for the x900 series (haven't worked with others yet). They are just thin porous stripes of material, that are stuck into the holes and held by small "noses". The parts numbers are visible in the image I attached. They cost a few bucks but they are also easily cleaned with isopropyl acohol (which I am doing in a regular basis when I'm cleaning the wiper and the flush box).

But there lies the problem: With borderless printing, the overspray starts to saturate the pads up to the point where they act like a sponge. Any paper that touches them WILL get wet from the ink on the back side. Of course, the excess will get drained to the borderless maintenance tank at some point, but in my opinion, this will not stop the pad from acting like a sponge, just from overflowing.

My maintenance tanks are brand new and I can see cleaning fluid draining into the tank very well. It just seems like the porous pads itself are just not a really good solution if you do a bunch of borderless images in a row.

I will try the expansion setting first, if the problem persists, I guess roll printing is the solution.

Kind regards
Logged

Farmer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2848
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:19 am »

I wouldn't be cleaning them with IPA - it may be affecting the ability of the ink to flow on (i.e. actually contributing to the retention).  It's aqueous ink, you should be using distilled water to flush them out if that's your aim, but ensure they are 100% dry before using again.
Logged
Phil Brown

CrazyPugLady

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
Re: Borderless printing makes a mess (Epson 4900)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:49:03 am »

OK, didn't know that. Isopropyl alcohol is cleaning off dried ink very well. Many printhead cleaners contain mostly distilled water, ethylene glycol and isopropyl alcohol so I thought it would be ok.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up