Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 35mm Blue Ring vs Digaron-W 32mm  (Read 1872 times)

Zachary Goulko

Phase One 35mm Blue Ring vs Digaron-W 32mm
« on: December 25, 2017, 04:32:40 pm »

Has anyone had experience of these two lenses on an IQ3-100 and how they compare?
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

gagemanning

Re: Phase One 35mm Blue Ring vs Digaron-W 32mm
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:20:45 pm »

I own both.  What specifics are you looking for?  I have a website you can view pics from both.  This link (http://www.gagecaudell.com/category/rodenstock-32mm-f4-hr-digaron-w/) will get you to images with the 32mm digaron. This link (http://www.gagecaudell.com/category/schneider-35mm-ls-f3-5/) will get you to images using the Schneider 35mm.

I'm not a huge technical guy and I'm sure you will find some on here but my opinion would be the 32mm digaron is a better lens in regards to sharpness from center to edges.  I personally enjoy shooting with a technical camera because I really hate distortion and shooting with a technical camera I can control this most of the time in camera and not have to worry about fixing it later.  I also enjoy the process of composing in this manner.  Worst part for me is having to travel with both my Cambo, Rodenstock 32mm, and XF body and images.  Gets very heavy!

Gage

beano_z

• f/13 photography
Re: Phase One 35mm Blue Ring vs Digaron-W 32mm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:35 pm »

Another not-so-technical user here, also have both and actively using both in similar shoots (i.e. architecture for me).  Happy to say that in real world usage, there's no difference in image quality for me.

I choose one over the other solely based on the fact whether I need movements or not, or which system I'm bringing to a shoot.  The 32 on a tech cam will require LCC on the 100MP back and you'll have to dial in the lens corrections yourself given the actual movement.  The 35mm on XF will send all info to Capture One and the lens corrections will be applied automatically, very convenient.  So actually for work related shoots, whenever I can get away without using movements, I'll use the XF and 35mm.

But do note that the 35mm has a 105mm filter thread, which limits your choice of filter systems, however, if like me you are using the centre filter on the 32mm permanently, then 105mm is something you'll have to love with.

Welcome to comment if you need any specifics clarified....
Pages: [1]   Go Up