Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: film scanner, SCSI (or firewire) converter to USB/Windows 10  (Read 5831 times)

tgo2002

film scanner, SCSI (or firewire) converter to USB/Windows 10
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:09:34 pm »

I have a Minolta Dimage Multi Pro film scanner that I purchased back in 2002.  It is currently hooked to a Windows XP desktop through an SCSI card and it works with the Minolta software, but I am trying to come up with a better solution so I get rid of the XP machine, which I use for nothing else.  There is a firewire connection on the scanner but I have never used it.  There is no way to install a SCSI or firewire card in my new Dell Windows 10 desktop, which was poor planning on my part I suppose.

Does anyone have any experience connecting a scanner to Windows 10 using a SCSI (or firewire) to USB converterr?  The SCSI-USB converters I see on Amazon seem to be for connecting hard drives, not scanners.  If this connection somehow works, I plan on using Vuescan software.

degrub

Re: film scanner, SCSI (or firewire) converter to USB/Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:16:32 pm »

use firewire to usb unless the scanner requires scsi.

ChrisMax

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:35:39 pm »

I use a Artixscan 4000t film scanner with an Adaptec 29160 scsi card on a win 10 pro 64 computer with no problems

tgo2002

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »

Unfortunately my fairly new Windows 10 desktop has no open slots to even try moving the SCSI card from the old computer.  The only option seems to be USB, if that is possible.

degrub

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:46:57 pm »

talk with the Vuescan author, he may be able to advise what he has used.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »

use firewire to usb unless the scanner requires scsi.

Firewire cannot be connected to USB, they are completely different. If you were using a current Mac the Firewire can be connected through Thunderbolt 2 using an adapter.

So, you might have to do something different... It might be time to finish up your scanning and move on, or if you currently sill shoot film and scan it (which I still do a bit of) figure out a way to free up a slot. Or maybe you will have to buy a new[er] scanner??
Jay W Page

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:05:44 pm »

I have a new Macbook Pro with all USB-C ports, and an old Nikon LS4000 slide scanner with Firewire. I bought an OWC USB-C hub which has Firewire (as well as USB3, ethernet, Thunderbolt, etc.), and it connects to the scanner. Vuescan does a fine job of running the scanner. So I think this is possible with a modern computer to get your scanner to work.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

mlewis

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »

Firewire cannot be connected to USB, they are completely different.
You can get adapters.  I don't know how well they work.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:32:34 pm »

The complication that arises from trying to connect to Firewire devices is because Firewire sends a constant stream of data, while USB sends data in packets so the two were incompatible. At least this was the case until USB 3.0/3.1 came along which is more than just faster than USB 2.0, it's a different protocol: it is asynchronous, meaning it can send and receive data at the same time (full duplex), along with charging other devices. This is in contrast to USB 2.0 which is half duplex, meaning it can only send or receive data, not both at the same time. But in any case the data is still sent in packets, so it is more complicated than just changing plugs with an adapter.

I don't know what distinguishes Thunderbolt from USB 3.0, but it seems to be able to accommodated the Firewire data stream, and both Apple and OWC sell adapters to connect it with Firewire devices, which will be the way I will go when I upgrade my 2010 MacPro next year. Ken Bennett's mac computer (above) has USB-C ports which work for both USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt.

However, none of this this is particularly useful to the OP who is using a Windows computer. So good luck :).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:02:55 pm by JayWPage »
Jay W Page

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »

Probably the cheapest solution is to get a new scanner.
However you could presumably get a Mac and run the Windows XP under VMware and use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 05:54:44 am »

There are lots of USB to SCSI cables and convertors and options as well as for USB to Firewire.  Google and find some that meet your connective requirements and price range and try one - it shouldn't be an issue.
Phil Brown

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »

Probably the cheapest solution is to get a new scanner.
There aren't many scanners as good as the Minolta DSMP. The cheapest solution is to just keep the existing desktop system. If it's working OK now, it's likely to keep going for years yet as a dedicated scanning system.

donbga

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 10:59:34 pm »

There aren't many scanners as good as the Minolta DSMP. The cheapest solution is to just keep the existing desktop system. If it's working OK now, it's likely to keep going for years yet as a dedicated scanning system.
Exactly! +1.

New scanners today can't  match the quality of the Minolta.

Get another PC and use an Adaptec SCSI card.

If you spend some time researching online you can come up with an acceptable solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up