Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smokestacks  (Read 1013 times)

Alskoj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 408
Smokestacks
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:01:19 pm »

A view of South Boulder, CO from the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) which sits above the city at the base of the Faltirons.
My intention was to shoot the Flatirons behind NCAR, but the lighting wasn't cooperating so I took a few shots since I was there then headed back to the car and this scene unfolded before me.  Zone VI view camera and Schneider 300mm/5.6.
The three smoke stacks in the background are located at a local power station (Valmont).
The 4x5 film (Fuji Velvia) was drum scanned by Photo Craft Imaging of Boulder.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:27:01 pm »

It's nice the way the smokestacks rise out of the low cloud.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:55 pm »

I like it, a neat shot with the smokestacks like that. Super sharp too although I think I see some dust specks. Maybe from the scan? Easy to fix regardless. Great detail!
Logged
-MattB

petermfiore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2706
    • Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:01:26 am »

I like this image very much. Beautiful light you captured...a modern clasic.

Peter

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:13:17 am »

+1
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alskoj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 408
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:35:36 am »

Thanks all for the very nice comments!  Yes, for some reason, this scan was dustier than any other scan I've paid for.  I'm getting it re-scanned.
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:16 am »

Love it. Back in my student days I shared an office (in Sydney) with a guy who spent most of the year working on his PhD at the NCAR... but I've never been there.
So aside from being a stunning photo, it fills in a little hole in my past, thank you :)
Logged

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Smokestacks
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 01:44:22 am »

Great photo. I immediately recognized the scene.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up