Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jay Maisel  (Read 2913 times)

Rob C

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:16:43 pm by Rob C »

mbaginy

Re: Jay Maisel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »

Very enjoyable video. Great photos!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:34:02 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »

I think the second video has a lot more photography and, thus, is perhaps more interesting, but I think they segue into one another automatically - at least, they did on my computer...

So many people of that time had a great sense of graphics - which is where I think Slobodan has a lot going for him too.

Where the old images differ so much - at least on my monitor, is that the new stuff appears to be sharpened too much. I don't mean Maisel's work, just a general impression I get from looking at contemporary work. To me, that forms its own distraction, as it were; the content fights for dominance with its own severity (sharpness) of presentation. Internecine warfare!

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 03:56:04 pm »

So many people of that time had a great sense of graphics - which is where I think Slobodan has a lot going for him too.

Rob

Yes indeed...He like many of that generation studied painting. In Jay's case he attended Cooper Union in NYC. I heard him one described himself as an Impatient Painter.

Peter

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 04:57:51 pm »

Where the old images differ so much - at least on my monitor, is that the new stuff appears to be sharpened too much. I don't mean Maisel's work, just a general impression I get from looking at contemporary work. To me, that forms its own distraction, as it were; the content fights for dominance with its own severity (sharpness) of presentation. Internecine warfare!

I think at least some of this is inherent in newer lenses, sensors and processing algorithms. When I started using Affinity Photo on my iPad this past summer I had to back way off on the clarity and USM compared to previous software. (Started using my Ms again in earnest at around the same time.) Even then, looking back now, some of my earlier Affinity efforts are too crispy. The app is just pulling more spatial stuff out of the RAWs.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:02 pm »

Yes indeed...He like many of that generation studied painting. In Jay's case he attended Cooper Union in NYC. I heard him one described himself as an Impatient Painter.

Peter

An impatient painter is an apt thing to say, and I think many of us in photography become photographers not just because it's faster, but because it's the only way we can make pictures that are worth looking at. At any rate, it is for me.

Rob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 06:24:03 pm »

For those who may not have seen them, the two videos that Michael & I did with Jay 10 years ago
Jay Interview
Jay's place
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:31:08 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:58:56 am »

For those who may not have seen them, the two videos that Michael & I did with Jay 10 years ago
Jay Interview
Jay's place

Chris,

I had no idea you had these two beauties!

They are the two best documentaries on the subject that I've ever seen!

Simply wonderful to watch. Thank you.

Rob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:45:32 pm »

Thanks Rob! As Charlie Cramer is wont to say, "Go on."

jodo

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:49:38 pm »

Let me "go on" and add the lula videos of Maisel are the best of the genre I've had the pleasure of viewing. That's a credit to you and Michael Reichmann and especially Maisel. Superb all around.

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:29 pm »

Excellent videos. Thank you.

RSL

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »

There's a quite good article on Maisel in the current Shutterbug. Here's a quote which, you can be sure, I strongly support:

He (Jay) also believes a photographer should crop or frame his image in the shooting, not in postproduction. "You crop or frame the image by moving yourself or changing lenses or zooming in or out on the image."

Take that you croppers!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »

There's a quite good article on Maisel in the current Shutterbug. Here's a quote which, you can be sure, I strongly support:

He (Jay) also believes a photographer should crop or frame his image in the shooting, not in postproduction. "You crop or frame the image by moving yourself or changing lenses or zooming in or out on the image."

Take that you croppers!
I agree, but not always!! LOL

Peter

RSL

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:34 pm »

Well, as you've seen a few times, Peter, I know that sometimes you just CAN'T do that. I posted a recent example. But it's still the right way to try to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up