Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee F  (Read 2004 times)

Rob C

Lee F
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »

http://www.atgetphotography.com/The-Photographers/Lee-Friedlander.html

Nice bit of writing and added photographs. Hope you enjoy it too.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Lee F
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:10:41 pm »

http://www.atgetphotography.com/The-Photographers/Lee-Friedlander.html

Nice bit of writing and added photographs. Hope you enjoy it too.

Rob

Friedlander is the man...big influence on American illustrators. At least this former American Illustrator.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:15:39 pm by petermfiore »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »

One of the greats. Maybe not as influential as HCB, Frank, or Winogrand, but one of the truly great photographers.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »

One of the greats. Maybe not as influential as HCB, Frank, or Winogrand, but one of the truly great photographers.
+1 +2 +3  and Friedlander is still with us.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:32:07 pm by petermfiore »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »

Good point, Peter. I'm also happy to see that Elliott Erwitt is still with us. One reason I'm happy is that he's about a year and half older than I am, and still has that great sense of humor. Tells me I might be able to struggle on for a while longer. Friedlander's more than four years younger, so I'm not surprised he's still going like the energizer bunny.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:49 pm »

The site is also quite good in that there's a list of photographers on it, and these come with a potted history from:

"from "Looking at Photographs" by John Szarkowski"

which is better than nothing! At least, he was contemporary enough to know a thing or three about some of them.

Now I feel inclined to get into the car and risk getting booked for driving with a camera at the ready. For once, perhaps a camera is less a legal liability then driving with a cellphone at the ready!

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 04:54:48 pm »

The site is also quite good in that there's a list of photographers on it, and these come with a potted history from:

"from "Looking at Photographs" by John Szarkowski"

which is better than nothing! At least, he was contemporary enough to know a thing or three about some of them.

Now I feel inclined to get into the car and risk getting booked for driving with a camera at the ready. For once, perhaps a camera is less a legal liability then driving with a cellphone at the ready!

Rob

These days I never get behind the wheel when photography is in anyway on my mind: way too dangerous. I let others do the driving so that I might see.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »

These days I never get behind the wheel when photography is in anyway on my mind: way too dangerous. I let others do the driving so that I might see.

Admirable option - wish I had it too! But anyway, I'm sure it's not gonna happen any time soon; too much caution in my soul.

Sometimes thought of going down to Palma and hiring a taxi for a sort of ramble along the streets...

If you still pop in to Leicaphilia, his latest writing shows pics that he's made from the car; really good photographs, even if he is mainly talking about the use of film and also of music recording - mainly jazz (modern).

http://leicaphilia.com/unfortunately-theres-no-free-lunch/

;-)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 04:21:56 am »

Lee F had the kindness to provide a quote that coincides with my own prejudices in opposing the pretentious industriousness of the current-day artist:
"I don't have 'projects', I take photos. Sometimes a project happens afterwards".

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 07:37:30 am »

Lee F had the kindness to provide a quote that coincides with my own prejudices in opposing the pretentious industriousness of the current-day artist:
"I don't have 'projects', I take photos. Sometimes a project happens afterwards".

I find that having a project can be helpful; today, for example, it's cold as hell and raining, but thoughts of Ms Coke and the car took me outside, and I think I got some reasonable pix on the iPad! I can see it taking me over, the 'Pad, not Coke, which I liked as a kid with a James Dean complex, but can't stand in later life: far too sweet in flavour and gassy. Who needs more gas in old age, I ask you!

The problem with the shoot was this: it has completely dislocated my eating schedule and now I am sitting here typing as the soup I made a couple of weeks ago thaws prior to being boiled up. No, she didn't want a microwave, so neither will I. ;-)

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:21 am »

All my personal works have been based around series of images. I'm not particularly interested in strays or one-offs. If this means I'm a PPPPP (pretentious photographer producing personal projects) then I guess I can live with it. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:41:29 am by KLaban »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 09:58:27 am »

All my personal works have been based around series of images.

Nothing wrong with it. Just tired of being asked "What are your projects?"

It reminds me a little of a quote attributed to Einstein:
"If I knew what I was looking for, it wouldn't be called research."

KLaban

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:56 am »

Nothing wrong with it. Just tired of being asked "What are your projects?".

Yes, I can imagine that could get to be tiresome.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:49 pm »

Nothing wrong with it. Just tired of being asked "What are your projects?"

The problem with projects, though, is that they can limit your possibilities if you allow them. I'm thinking in terms of self-imposed blinkers. Ms Coke was an example in my own life. For a longish time it was pretty much all I was thinking about visually, and I'm sure I missed some other, unrelated directions because of it. The snag is, it's just so easy to find something interests one, and then stop looking further.

Perhaps what's needed is a series of projects running side-by-side, but that requires one to feel strongly enough about several things at once, and that can be difficult. Maybe a solution is limited editions: no more than twelve or fifteen shots in any one series? Obviously, a number that suits the individual photographer is key.

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

The problem with projects, though, is that they can limit your possibilities if you allow them. I'm thinking in terms of self-imposed blinkers. Ms Coke was an example in my own life. For a longish time it was pretty much all I was thinking about visually, and I'm sure I missed some other, unrelated directions because of it. The snag is, it's just so easy to find something interests one, and then stop looking further.

Perhaps what's needed is a series of projects running side-by-side, but that requires one to feel strongly enough about several things at once, and that can be difficult. Maybe a solution is limited editions: no more than twelve or fifteen shots in any one series? Obviously, a number that suits the individual photographer is key.

Rob

It's what I've been doing for years: projects, or rather, series, overlapping. One series is just too blinkered even for me!

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 03:00:38 pm »

It's what I've been doing for years: projects, or rather, series, overlapping. One series is just too blinkered even for me!

;-)

Wish I had the energy, Keith. Finding the time to do anything is challenge enough. Don't ask me what takes all my time: I couldn't give you a reasonable answer... Just seems to take me forever to do anything - I constantly discover that I have begun to do one thing, and then realise I've moved on to something else half-way through the first task. Organised I no longer am - if ever I was. Perhaps, foolishly, I imagine I can multitask?

"One has to take several different shots of a subject, from different points of view and in different situations, as if one examined it in the round rather than looked through the same key-hole again and again." .....  Rodchenko

:-(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:12:38 pm by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 04:26:00 am »

Wish I had the energy, Keith. Finding the time to do anything is challenge enough. Don't ask me what takes all my time: I couldn't give you a reasonable answer... Just seems to take me forever to do anything - I constantly discover that I have begun to do one thing, and then realise I've moved on to something else half-way through the first task. Organised I no longer am - if ever I was. Perhaps, foolishly, I imagine I can multitask?

"One has to take several different shots of a subject, from different points of view and in different situations, as if one examined it in the round rather than looked through the same key-hole again and again." .....  Rodchenko

:-(

17102, perhaps?

Seriously though, photographically speaking, I'd say you are more prolific than this laggard.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 05:15:05 am »

17102, perhaps?

Seriously though, photographically speaking, I'd say you are more prolific than this laggard.

;-)

Numerically speaking, you make a good point!

Last time I gave it up I made two books that never saw the light of day. Seems progress comes in mysterious ways.

Being prolific sometimes depends on having something or not having something better to do. My Big Plan is that if this apartment sells, once everything is off my hands I shall take the car and drive slowly up through France building a portfolio of snaps as I go. It will either be a swansong, or, perhaps, the writing of a new chapter. If that buyer is listening: can we complete it all by this coming May, please?

;-)

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up