Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone Director's Viewfinder apps  (Read 54646 times)

danbereskin

iPhone Director's Viewfinder apps
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:37:39 am »

Instead of lugging around a piece of cardboard with a cutout to help me frame shots as I did in my 4x5 days, I've just found out there are several iPhone apps that allow you to determine the correct focal length for the composition you choose depending on the lens and camera. I don't do cinematography, and use only full frame 35mm DSLRs, so bells and whistles are not needed. The apps that look most interesting are made by Artemis, Cadrage, and Alpa (or a developer associated with Alpa). They are not cheap, and probably have far more features than I need. There are also a few in the App store that are inexpensive, but it's hard to tell if they're any good. I'm intending to use an iPhone X and my widest lens is 21mm, full frame. One or two apps I've looked at seem to work only down to 24mm.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Dan
🇨🇦

paulster

Re: iPhone Director's Viewfinder apps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:23:45 pm »

I've used Cadrage for a number of years, and it's been a solid performer.  I like that you can add your own lenses and camera combinations if you have something that isn't in its database by default.  And you can limit what it shows you to your own lens collection, so you can toggle between them quickly and see the effect on the composition.  The only issue for me is that the iPhone doesn't go wide enough for my wider lenses, and because I use mine in a case it's too much of a hassle to use a wide-angle conversion lens with it.

danbereskin

Re: iPhone Director's Viewfinder apps
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:17 am »

Thanks for the advice.  The other app I'm considering is the one by Artemis-a bit more expensive, more features but mostly of benefit to cinematographers, I think.
🇨🇦
Pages: [1]   Go Up