Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do people who have upgraded to V11 think it’s worthwhile?  (Read 4587 times)

Ben_Tait

Do people who have upgraded to V11 think it’s worthwhile?
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:57:25 pm »

Hi all,

I understand from Phase One that anyone who upgraded to Version 10 on or after October 31 is entitled to a free upgrade to C1 V11.

I upgraded on October 26 (I have plenty of luck, all bad...). The LAB readouts (I use this for colour correction in PS) and layer opacity is appealing, but both things that aren’t strictly necessary with a C1/PS workflow.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to pony up the money for the upgrade. How do people who have upgraded to V11 feel about it?

Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:00:27 pm by Ben_Tait »

IanSeward

Re: Do people who have upgraded to V11 think it’s worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:25:39 am »

Hi all,

I understand from Phase One that anyone who upgraded to Version 10 on or after October 31 is entitled to a free upgrade to C1 V11.

I upgraded on October 26 (I have plenty of luck, all bad...). The LAB readouts (I use this for colour correction in PS) and layer opacity is appealing, but both things that aren’t strictly necessary with a C1/PS workflow.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to pony up the money for the upgrade. How do people who have upgraded to V11 feel about it?

Thanks,
Ben

Have a look at this 10 min video, it might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guNqkH_Kh-A

The use of styles on layers is impressive, helping to get the job done quickly:-)

Ian

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:04:26 am »

Hi all,

Hi Ben,

It depends on the specific workflow that one uses. The more Layer-centric workflow has become a powerful feature now that it can be used with all adjustments. That means that less work in Photoshop is required, and one can do a lot of postprocessing while still in Capture One. It does make the masking capabilities more important, and there is still room for some improvement, so Photoshop or a similar editor is still required for some (but not all) types of work.

But if one has a very Photoshop-centric workflow, then those Layers improvements become less important anyway.

The Lab readout is useful (for many users, not for all).

Similar thing with the Layered annotation, watermarking, etc., capabilities, very useful for some, less so for others.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jodo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:22:44 am »

The new improved layers adjustments with opacity control made the upgrade an instant yes for me.

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:28:50 am »

I use a referenced catalog and the number of images in it are increasing and will do so even more next year as I intend to gradually import all my previous Lightroom catalog images. ( 2009 to 2014 )

Consequently filtering on All Images is becoming more frequent so the speed improvement in " loading " all the images is most welcome.

LAB readouts .... finding the a & b values ( -a green, +b yellow for example ) useful for assessing colour casts then making a judgement on whether it needs correcting, which is where the new masks / layers features will be put to good use.

Personally,  Annotations & Crop as a path are not things I would use but Phase One has to add features for the Professional  ( Phase One Camera ) photographers so I am OK with that  :)

There will probably a few more things that I find useful once David Grover, of Phase One, has done some v 11 webinars  and I have had a chance to attend / watch them
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:31:53 am by Jeff »

sebbe

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:35:27 am »

I really like their improvement from local adjustments to layers.
But even without that is the program faster now and their color engine is improved as well. If you work a lot in C1 these two are a big time saver.

Remko

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:56 am »

Hi all,

I upgraded on October 26 (I have plenty of luck, all bad...).

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,

Contact Phase One's Customer Support. I have heard about a couple situations where people who were missing the grace period by a couple of days still got a free update. Certainly worth a try!

cheers,
Remko

Ben_Tait

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:53:00 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the responses!

I would like to front-load my currently PS-centric workflow by doing colour correction at the RAW conversation stage (LAB readout), and I see that layer opacity will help (particularly with fine-tuning application of styles and bulk processing).

I’ve got a sopport case open to see if Phase One are willing to extend the grace period by five days, or offer a discount on the upgrade. Ultimately there probably is enough value here for me (even with no discount).

Ben

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:46 pm »

You can get a 10% discount code for an upgrade here. Also a lot of great information on the new features.

http://alexonraw.com/capture-one-11/
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

sjprg

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »

I have canceled all of my ADOBE programs since V10 so I must like C1 even with its GUI.
Paul

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 07:40:57 am »

Are the comments about improved speed mostly referring to adjustments? Or is there a noticeable speed improvement in DAM functions as well?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:54 am »

Are the comments about improved speed mostly referring to adjustments? Or is there a noticeable speed improvement in DAM functions as well?
Well the search is fast as long as you can remember exactly how data is stored in metadata - for instance if you search on camera make it is FUJIFILM not Fuji for instance.

The View

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 02:54:34 pm »

No, it is not worth it.

This is an incremental upgrade and should not be charged for.

Key problems like fuzzy and incorrect preview and bad database are still not fixed - that's what I'd pay for in an upgrade.

I have not upgraded to 10 for this reason and will skip this "upgrade" as well.

Fix the issues, Phase One, and don't just load features on while having serious coding problems at the core of the application!
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

chipbutty

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:21:13 am »

This has always been my issue with C1. Weird bugs and glitches which are hard to pin down. These things don't seem to get fixed and the whole cycle continues with the next release. Saying that, I do love the software and I'm thinking of not renewing my Adobe CC subscription (it's up for renewal next week) and buying C1P 11. I've been very impressed with 11 during the trial. I own v8 and never bothered with subsequent releases due to the bugs. I wouldn't have given it a second thought but Phase One have a time limited upgrade offer for v8 owners to buy 11. Seems like a no brainer to pay £150 to own C1P 11 against another year of paying £120 to rent Lightroom. I love them both but my wallet isn't fat enough.

No, it is not worth it.

This is an incremental upgrade and should not be charged for.

Key problems like fuzzy and incorrect preview and bad database are still not fixed - that's what I'd pay for in an upgrade.

I have not upgraded to 10 for this reason and will skip this "upgrade" as well.

Fix the issues, Phase One, and don't just load features on while having serious coding problems at the core of the application!

HCS

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:42:23 am »

This has always been my issue with C1. Weird bugs and glitches which are hard to pin down. These things don't seem to get fixed and the whole cycle continues with the next release. Saying that, I do love the software and I'm thinking of not renewing my Adobe CC subscription (it's up for renewal next week) and buying C1P 11. I've been very impressed with 11 during the trial. I own v8 and never bothered with subsequent releases due to the bugs. I wouldn't have given it a second thought but Phase One have a time limited upgrade offer for v8 owners to buy 11. Seems like a no brainer to pay £150 to own C1P 11 against another year of paying £120 to rent Lightroom. I love them both but my wallet isn't fat enough.

For me it is indeed worth it. My C1 only workflow went for about 80% of my pictures and V11 has taken that up to over 90%. The only things i have to extend my workflow for are compositing (focus stacking, pano and artistic composites). For a large part due to the enhanced layer capabilities.

But then again, i don't do a lot of complex post processing  :)
Hans Cremers

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 08:23:14 pm »

I been using Capture One Pro since version 9. I switched from Lightroom CC because I was unhappy with the IQ from my Fuji X RAW processing with LR.

I just upgraded to C1P 11 and I highly recommend the upgrade. The capability gets better and better. Speed opening large catalogs is much better. The IQ remains fantastic and the layers work great.

Since switching to C1P, all of my PS and LR plugins are gathering dust.

Highly recommended.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up