Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning Photoshop CC Recommendations  (Read 7323 times)

saiguy

Re: Learning Photoshop CC Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 08:08:36 pm »

Perhaps I should add that I don’t have any association with Lynda dot com (except as a subscriber) or with LinkedIn (which I don’t use and which bought Lynda dot com some time ago).
What, LinkedIn bought Linda. What's it al coming to. Martin Evening has the authoritative books on PS and LR. But the best video tutorials I have benefited from are those produced by George Gardine. Mulita.com Master Course. It is LR5 I think, but entirely relevant to current sate of affairs. George was an insider on the earlier LR team and very astute at developing files.

Doug Gray

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 11:32:24 pm »

What, LinkedIn bought Linda. What's it al coming to. Martin Evening has the authoritative books on PS and LR. But the best video tutorials I have benefited from are those produced by George Gardine. Mulita.com Master Course. It is LR5 I think, but entirely relevant to current sate of affairs. George was an insider on the earlier LR team and very astute at developing files.

And Microsoft bought LinkedIn.

Garnick

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:33 am »

Thanks, Tom. Several years ago I referred to Adobe TV while learning Lightroom. Thanks for the reminder.

Kit

Hi Kit,

All of the above are excellent PS reference alternatives definitely.  Since I'm joining the conversation rather late I would also offer 5 STARS for Julieanne Kost and her way of explaining the subtleties of Photoshop, Lightroom etc.  BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!  One of Julieanne's favourite segues to another facet of the particular app she is covering.  When I first started using PS(v.3.0 I believe), one of the first things I did was order a set of Julieanne's tutorial DVDs.  A lot has happened in PS since then, but they were a great place to start.  I'm glad her name surfaced again here, since I haven't been following her for a few years.  I just bookmarked her latest page on Adobe and will reference it again on occasion, PS and LR.  One tends to get tied up with tools we use all of the time and not necessarily explore others as often as one should perhaps.

Again, a lot of great references here already, but perhaps a couple more that might be of use to you Kit.  First is "Photoshop Café with Colin Smith" - https://photoshopcafe.com/.  Secondly is Matt Kloskowski's site - http://mattk.com/.  Matt does a lot of work with the folks at ON1 Software and you can also find him there - https://www.on1.com/.  I've always found that the more I learn about any of these apps, one lesson that keep repeating is, there's always more to learn.  Hope some of this is of help as well.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Kit-V

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 10:37:05 am »

Gary: Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts. It is truly appreciated. I remember years ago when I was learning LR, I also found Julieanne Kost's tutorials to be quite instructive.

I might add that I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It tells me that every one of you remember when you were first learning some aspect of photography & benefited from the recommendations & ideas of those who were more experienced. And I appreciate your willingness to give back.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Garnick

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 04:25:50 pm »

Gary: Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts. It is truly appreciated. I remember years ago when I was learning LR, I also found Julieanne Kost's tutorials to be quite instructive.

I might add that I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It tells me that every one of you remember when you were first learning some aspect of photography & benefited from the recommendations & ideas of those who were more experienced. And I appreciate your willingness to give back.

Kit

You're quite welcome Kit.  I've been using PS for many years, but almost weekly I learn something I had never thought of before.  Of course in PS there is always at least three ways to arrive at the same outcome, and sometimes more.  It's just a matter of exploring the tools I use everyday and find something I hadn't noticed previously.  One important thing I failed to mention in my previous reply is that both of the sites I suggested have a lot of free tutorials as well, which is great for someone just jumping in to PS. 

Take care and have some fun with PS.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

saiguy

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 08:04:45 am »

George Jardine on mulita.com has a free video on Lightroom & Photoshop Integration.

Kit-V

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:13 am »

George Jardine on mulita.com has a free video on Lightroom & Photoshop Integration.

Ah, interesting. I will check it out. Thanks.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

AlanPesetsky

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »

Along with Martin Evening’s books, Lynda dot com (https://www.lynda.com) has been and continues to be very important to me, for both learning new things about Photoshop and Lightroom (which are pretty much all I use) and going back to refresh my understanding of less-often-used tools. 

From the home page you can search for the category “Photography” or software names (e.g., “Nik”) or write out well-defined issues you want to learn (e.g., “select and mask”).

The plan I use is $240 a year, which includes unlimited access.  For a bit more one can have access to images files that allow a subscriber to work at home on the exact files covered in the tutorials.  There is also a free trial subscription.

Perhaps I should add that I don’t have any association with Lynda dot com (except as a subscriber) or with LinkedIn (which I don’t use and which bought Lynda dot com some time ago).

If you live in New York City (and some other places also) the New York Public Library offers free access to Lynda.com with your Library Card.  You can even download the Lynda.com desktop program and download and vies the tutorials off-line.l

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:43 pm »

It's good to know this, Alan.  Thank you.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 06:23:25 pm »

Thank you all for the tips and links ! :)
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Daverich

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 01:42:11 pm »

I too seem to learn better from print than video but Martin Evening is the only recommended print author?

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 05:23:03 pm »

Two books I have used a lot are Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann et al. (New Riders, 2013) and Mastering Photoshop Layers by Juergen Gulbins (Rocky Nook, 2013).

Perhaps I needn’t add that there are a lot of Photoshop books covering different aspects of it in different degrees of depth for readers of different experience and needs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:36:10 am by Jeffrey Saldinger »
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

saiguy

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 10:30:17 am »

Two above mentioned books. Katrin's is very advanced training. When I first stared with PS, Juergen's book was very helpful laying a foundation for using PS.

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 10:55:56 am »

Is it possible that I post, keep receiving e-mail notifications and the posts are gone ?
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Daverich

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 03:05:55 pm »

Two books I have used a lot are Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann et al. (New Riders, 2013) and Mastering Photoshop Layers by Juergen Gulbins (Rocky Nook, 2013).

Perhaps I needn’t add that there are a lot of Photoshop books covering different aspects of it in different degrees of depth for readers of different experience and needs.

Thanks, I have the book by Katrin Eismann but not the one by Juergen Gulbins. I’ll have to check it out.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »

Thanks, I have the book by Katrin Eismann but not the one by Juergen Gulbins. I’ll have to check it out.

It's good to know I may have helped.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up