Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibration Isolation for Tripods  (Read 53722 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Vibration Isolation for Tripods
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:44:00 pm »

I am doing some very long stacks of images, 150 or so, as part of focus-stacking and checking out a new lens that itself is long and heavy. I have my subject isolated so there are no vibrations, but there are some vibrations coming up through the tripod legs, making it difficult.

I am using a Really Right Stuff carbon-fiber tripod, a Series 3.

If anyone has ideas how to dampen the vibrations coming up from the floor, I would appreciate hearing about it. The vibrations are coming from my own movements just standing on the floor, so it’s a little subtle. 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
Re: Vibration Isolation for Tripods
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:19:19 pm »

Put the tripod feet in buckets of sand plus a sandbag on the tripod.  Won't help if the floor is flexing a lot, but should kill small vibrations.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »

Put the tripod feet in buckets of sand plus a sandbag on the tripod.  Won't help if the floor is flexing a lot, but should kill small vibrations.

Good idea. I will try that.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

stever

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:26:21 pm »

those pads look intended for medium to high frequency, if the problem is low frequency (which is more likely with a wooden floor) then the sand is probably a safer solution.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »

those pads look intended for medium to high frequency, if the problem is low frequency (which is more likely with a wooden floor) then the sand is probably a safer solution.

I will try these various things. I do have some of those Mead's telescope tripod pads. The problem is that I am hanging a very large and long lens (Printing Nikkor 150mm) of the end of the Cambo Actus Mini, with no support, because I need to use Tilt. That is where the vibration is not being dampened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up