Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article - Shooting With The Masters - Charles Cramer - Part 1  (Read 10417 times)

pearlstreet

Re: New Article - Shooting With The Masters - Charles Cramer - Part 1
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 12:39:28 pm »

Hugh, that's a wonderful photo of those kids!

Kevin, what is the viewfinder magnifier that Charles uses in the video?

Charles Cramer

• Contributor
    • http://www.charlescramer.com
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:12 pm »

Sharon,  the loupe I use in no longer made....  It was originally designed for film viewing on a lightbox. It's made by Peak, and is a 4x magnifier.  Several years ago I bought 4-5 of these, as I saw it was being discontinued.  The next best thing is the Hoodman 3x magnifying loupe.

Charles Cramer

• Contributor
    • http://www.charlescramer.com
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »

Loved those videos.  Charlie Cramer is my absolute favorite photographer

Doug, and also Erik, thanks for the nice words!   May I also say that you both have exquisite taste! :-)

jng

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »

Sharon,  the loupe I use in no longer made....  It was originally designed for film viewing on a lightbox. It's made by Peak, and is a 4x magnifier.  Several years ago I bought 4-5 of these, as I saw it was being discontinued.  The next best thing is the Hoodman 3x magnifying loupe.

I'd like to add my positive thoughts on this series. It was great to hear Charlie discussing his vision and approach in such a relaxing and inviting style. In this series Kevin seems to step back a bit and let his subject carry the narrative. Kudos to you both and to Chris for his usual marvelous production. I shall be renewing my subscription when it expires in the next few days.

Sharon: you can still find the Peak 4X Loupe (PEAK TS2038) on Amazon or eBay, but it's a bit pricey at around $138 new. I saw them for much less a while back from some seller on eBay and I imagine it's possible to find a much better deal if you're patient.

John

pearlstreet

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 03:13:56 pm »

Thank you, Charles and John!

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:26 pm »

Wonderful video. I really enjoy listening to Charles.

I'm off to the shop to buy a book cover to make a cut out card

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:00 am »

I'm off to the shop to buy a book cover to make a cut out card
When I cut the Pebble Beach piece, I too went out and cut myself a viewing card from on outdated ColourChecker card. It works perfectly.

The card makes framing natural subjects that Michael used to refer to as "Messy! Too messy!" far less problematic and you truly do know if there is a shot there or not.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 01:01:55 pm »

Excellent and very much enjoyed watching these videos with Charles Cramer, and I can't wait for more of the same  :)

For all those wanting a cheap, easy to carry and very durable viewing card, that is adjustable for all size formats including Pano's, then why not treat yourself to one of these View Catchers .

I have carried one of these in my bag for around the last ten years now and even though I find I can now visualise most scenes without using it, it is still worth having one in your bag for all those who want to experiment with using compositional aids like these.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:09:14 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

ramd41@gmail.com

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:28 pm »

These videos are absolutely terrific.  Can't imagine a better subject than Charlie Cramer.  You've well captured him and his philosophy on photography.  This alone is worth the price of admission.  Would love to see more of these.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 01:46:00 am »

Enjoyed the videos. Kevin's yearning for a cup of coffee added a nice touch.

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 02:13:13 pm »

I too, have really enjoyed the videos of Kevin’s time with Charles.  Wonderful stuff.  And I’m very much looking forward to the print making videos.  This stuff is first class.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »

Excellent and very much enjoyed watching these videos with Charles Cramer, and I can't wait for more of the same  :)

For all those wanting a cheap, easy to carry and very durable viewing card, that is adjustable for all size formats including Pano's, then why not treat yourself to one of these View Catchers .

I have carried one of these in my bag for around the last ten years now and even though I find I can now visualise most scenes without using it, it is still worth having one in your bag for all those who want to experiment with using compositional aids like these.

Dave
Amazon US has it Here

vartkes

• The Armenian
    • VartkesImages - Contemplative Photographs
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 06:54:28 pm »

An excellent start to the series. Mr Cramer is one of my favourite artists. I print my own (Epson 4900) and thus i am pleased that some of these videos will focus onto the print-making.
Thanks for the opportunity to spend some time and listen to Mr Cramer.
Vartkes

adias

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »

An excellent series indeed. Now for a non-PC position - let's hope that the caliber of the selected Masters remains high. There are several professional photographers contributing often to this site who do not qualify for the Master Series IMHO.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 10:21:49 am »

... let's hope that the caliber of the selected Masters remains high. There are several professional photographers contributing often to this site who do not qualify for the Master Series IMHO.

I am certain that applies to most of us

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »

When I cut the Pebble Beach piece, I too went out and cut myself a viewing card from on outdated ColourChecker card. It works perfectly.

The card makes framing natural subjects that Michael used to refer to as "Messy! Too messy!" far less problematic and you truly do know if there is a shot there or not.

I remember Michael talking about "Messy" on a number of occasions. I think when he was down in the Amazon, was one occasion.  I often think of him when Im in the rain forest down here in NZ trying to make sense of the mess. 

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Thanks!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 08:18:50 am »

Hi,

I was greatly impressed by Micahel Reichmann's interview with Charles Cramer a few years ago. I have some ambition to join one of Charlie's workshop, perhaps not in 2018 but may be in 2018.

Thanks for these videos!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Photog-x

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:52 am »

I enjoy these videos :-)    However...one comment.  If I had my preference, I'd like to see more video of the in the field shooting like you did with William Neil in Yosemite.  It was nice to see the shooting process and hear the thoughts of how/why something is being shot.  The story is nice to hear (the photographer's story just sitting on the bench), but I like the in the field portion best and maybe that's what might be most helpful to people.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:29:14 am by Photog-x »

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 12:58:10 pm »

Add me to the list of those who thoroughly enjoyed the Charles Cramer videos.  I especially liked hearing his thoughts on things like sharpness and pre-visualizing or discovery.  He seems like a very nice guy as well--a trait not always found in successful people.
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »

Man, the third set is DEEP.   I will have to watch it again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up