Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide angle lens suggestions  (Read 64873 times)

Miles

Wide angle lens suggestions
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »

I've been pretty happy with my Nikon 14-24mm to date but have wondered if there is anything out there substantially better for image quality, especially now that I have the D850?  The 28mm Otus would be nice, but would require stitching of my landscape photos and the price is hard to accept.  I believe a few members have or have had that lens so I would be interested in comments and any comparison to the new Nikon 28mm f1.4.  I have also read good things about the Zeiss 21mm and 15mm lenses and the Nikon 24mm f1.8 (significantly less expensive). 

When looking at sharpness ratings online, it appears that the wider the lens, the less sharp it is going to be as a general rule, and a lot more comes into play for a good lens than just sharpness.  I would be interested in suggestions to consider from this group. 

The use of the lens would be for landscape images and an occasional astro shot, both primarily from a tripod.

Thanks in advance for any responses and let's keep it fun.

Miles

NancyP

Re: Wide angle lens suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »

The first question should be - what focal length prime?
The second question - do you need filters?
The third question - do you need tilt-shift capacity?
I take it that a little distortion won't kill you, because your mentioned uses didn't include architecture.

Miles

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:59:44 pm »

Thanks for posting Nancy. 

I admittedly like to go wide and the 14-24 has served well in that area.  If I couldn't stitch an image, I would be looking for something in the 15mm range.  I don't plan on selling the 14-24mm, thus it will be available if stitching is a problem (waves in the scene).

You raise a good point on filters.  I haven't used filters much.  As you know, a polarizer on a wide angle gives an uneven sky.  I do have a graduated ND that I have used some (hand held in front of the lens), as well as a solid screw on ND that I use with my 24-70 when I want a long exposure. 

Do I need tilt-shift capacity?  I have never used one although I have studied and understand their capabilities.  The Nikon 19mm seems like a good candidate that would bring additional capabilities to my camera bag.  I have read others posts with interest on this lens.  Unfortunately there is a lot of negative comments regarding flare, even when the sun isn't directly in the image.  I'm not sure what to make of this.  Maybe I should rent one.

A little distortion isn't a big deal if it can be fixed post.  It is rare that I do architecture.

I print my own images and like to print large (up to 60").  I'm trying to gain from others what lenses are giving the best results.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:38:06 am »

In Nikon mount: Irix 15mm. Sigma 14 Art. I was going to mention the recent Milvus 25 f1.4, but you mentioned around 15mm.

In Sony E mount: Batis 18. 12-24 f4, which is reportedly excellent. Sony has been making great inroads in wide angles.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »

Do I need tilt-shift capacity?  I have never used one although I have studied and understand their capabilities.  The Nikon 19mm seems like a good candidate that would bring additional capabilities to my camera bag.  I have read others posts with interest on this lens.  Unfortunately there is a lot of negative comments regarding flare, even when the sun isn't directly in the image.  I'm not sure what to make of this.  Maybe I should rent one.
The Nikon 19 mm is a very good and very sharp lens. IMHO, it's the best DSLR wide angle. I have tested all Canikon lenses.
Every lens needs a perfect hood for max. performance. The coating of the Nikon is
state of the art. I don't think there are better coatings available. Rent one and if you like it, buy a compendium or a hood for/with it.
My 2 cents.
Regards,
Ben
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:57:05 pm by ben730 »

Two23

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:59:28 pm »

For astro, the Sigma 14mm f1.8 is a no-brainer.  For landscape and architecture, I'd go Nikon 19mm PC-E all the way.  The Nikon 24mm PC-E is my most used lens.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Miles

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »

Thanks for the input everyone.  I haven't researched the Sigma 14mm or Irix 15mm, but will now. 

I've been drawn to the 19mm TS a few times.  Your positive input is appreciated on this item Ben.

Miles

Pages: [1]   Go Up