Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R III on DxOMark. And the winner is....  (Read 59392 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Sony A7R III on DxOMark. And the winner is....
« on: November 28, 2017, 02:48:56 pm »

Both! (the A7R III and the D850):

• Even at score 100 with Nikon D850! Nikon has 0,11EV extra Dynamic range and A7R III wins at high ISOs by aprox. 0,5EV
  • vs A7R II, it improves Dynamic range by 0,8EV, more than expected
  • vs Canon 5D IV, Canon loses less dramatically than it used to be, just 1,11EV (good Canon!)
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7R-III-versus-Nikon-D850-versus-Sony-A7R-II___1187_1177_1035

Regards!

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Sony A7R III on DxOMark. And the winner is....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »

Indeed.

Reading DPreview a bit these past weeks, the near total absence of Canon from most year end rankings is striking though.

The gap with the technology leaders Sony/Nikon seems to be increasing.

Cheers,
Bernard

DP

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:31 am »

The gap with the technology leaders Sony/Nikon seems to be increasing.

think Adobe - they don't need the best ever demosaick, NR, color,  DAM in the world ... but they have the best (= biggest) market share among the paying customers regardless ... so Canon just needs to get its gear to get the job done and the gap (sensor "DR" wise) is actually decreasing, so Canon is not sitting idle - they simply mind their costs vs sales

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:53:47 am »

While all these numbers are interesting and show that digital cameras are still improving I think the differences between different cameras and brands are getting less significant (or even insignificant). The photographer's skill is determining the quality of the end result, not the camera used.
pieter, aka pegelli

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:57:01 am »

Hi,

It just may be that extreme DR is not the crucial factor in image making. Just as an example, Velvia film had quite horrible DR but it was a favorite of many landscape photographers, including myself.

So, it may be that Canon systems lag in one aspect, DR, but they may have other advantages.

Just to say, the 5DIV and the 1DXII have new sensor technology, on sensor column converters, although they still lag Sony sensors in DR. Technology doesn't stand still at Canon...

Best regards
Erik

think Adobe - they don't need the best ever demosaick, NR, color,  DAM in the world ... but they have the best (= biggest) market share among the paying customers regardless ... so Canon just needs to get its gear to get the job done and the gap (sensor "DR" wise) is actually decreasing, so Canon is not sitting idle - they simply mind their costs vs sales
Erik Kaffehr

patjoja

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »

While all these numbers are interesting and show that digital cameras are still improving I think the differences between different cameras and brands are getting less significant (or even insignificant). The photographer's skill is determining the quality of the end result, not the camera used.

The improvement in cameras in no substitute for the photographer's skills, but in a skillful hand, the modern cameras can do things that were nigh impossible a few years ago.

Patrick

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 04:17:56 pm »

Hi,

It just may be that extreme DR is not the crucial factor in image making. Just as an example, Velvia film had quite horrible DR but it was a favorite of many landscape photographers, including myself.
Best regards
Erik

Velvia had very bold colour.
Yes you could like that- and sometimes i did too. This is now possible with all camera's.
But a large DR is very handy when you need it- not saying you need it all the time...and not saying you know beforehand when you need it.

and
there were enough moments that i wished Velvia had more DR than it had, but choices were poor then.
Now we have the DR of negative (and more) with the colour of velvia at the same time. Very nice indeed.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:18:04 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rado

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »

This is getting off-topic but I could never replicate the colors of Velvia or Ektachrome (100VS used to be my favorite, more so than Velvia) in my digital images. I can play with the saturation and curves or use presets emulating those films but it doesn't look as good. Everything else is much better with digital but I think the colors were more beautiful with slide film. Perhaps I'm just bad at postprocessing.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »

Looking at the per-pixel DR achieved by these two monsters, I have a feeling 16-bit  RAW files are knocking at the door. Another improvement in DR and 14 bits won't suffice to hold it.

Regards!

Enviado desde mi ALE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up