Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Discontent  (Read 16528 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Discontent
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:29 am »

I find the statement to be true amongst hobbyist and amateurs.  I can't tell you the dread I have of being hunted down by an hobbyist on a shoot, in some public location, who wants to waste my time asking me about cameras.   >:(
You must be meeting different hobbyists and amateurs the I. I am a pure hobby photographer and a few times per year I have meetings with different photo groups. Some groups the users have different brands, some groups is "my brand" only. Gear usually takes less then 10% of the conversations time and ususally less in the mixed groups. The rest is spent on finding/sharing locations, light, composition and actually going out shooting and talk about the difference of shots people take of the same situation or location.
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 03:46:02 am »

You must be meeting different hobbyists and amateurs the I. I am a pure hobby photographer and a few times per year I have meetings with different photo groups. Some groups the users have different brands, some groups is "my brand" only. Gear usually takes less then 10% of the conversations time and ususally less in the mixed groups. The rest is spent on finding/sharing locations, light, composition and actually going out shooting and talk about the difference of shots people take of the same situation or location.

Which, to me, is every bit as bad as camera obsession. Who really gives a hoot about the other guy's picture, and if so, why?

Photography, unless of models, is by far at its best done alone without human distraction. If you need human distraction, what's wrong with a pub? There, you can have all the distraction anyone could want, and not even have to have anything to show for it at closing time. (You can just tell I dig honky-tonk music, can't you!)

:-)

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 06:59:16 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 08:00:48 am »

I am sure I am generalizing here; I just can't stand when someone starts pestering me on a job about camera bodies and lens and ... with the client standing right there. 

Moral of the story, if you run into a professional photographer on a paid assignment, leave him alone.  He already has enough stuff on his mind to deal with. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:41 am »

... Actually, thinking of the term fun in any depth is something new to me...

I sympathize: I had fun once... it was awful  ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 09:29:53 am »

Do you guys realize this is the third page of this thread, we're in the Coffee Corner, and nobody's raised a political rant? It's all been about photography and equipment. This must be some kind of record for the Coffee Corner.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 09:45:22 am »

Do you guys realize this is the third page of this thread, we're in the Coffee Corner, and nobody's raised a political rant? It's all been about photography and equipment. This must be some kind of record for the Coffee Corner.

Isn't this a political rant about equipment then?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 09:58:38 am »

Bloody right-wing nonsense!

;)

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 12:57:13 pm »

I sympathize: I had fun once... it was awful  ;)

I know; the alternative is to start having it alone, and that, I'm assured, is bad for one's eyes.

What's a person to do? It could drive some to photography and/or politics just for the change, but then one would be bound to meet even more people in a similar state of spiritual confusion.

I had a peculiar moment with Moira the horse the other day. I had imagined that as with a dog, she was lifting her right rear leg and turning her head because she was about to use her hoof to scratch her ribs. No, instead, she sort of stumbled a little bit, and then made a kind of swooping motion with her head and gave one mighty lick to the region where a cow would have an udder. This almost floored her, and me, too: whatever her nose had encountered did not look like any udder known to me. I am now wondering if she is not a she, but an unfortunate horse damaged by a vet when young. Whatever, it produced a fit of coughing for her (?) which seemed a good time to resume my walk back home.

Rob

pegelli

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »

Which, to me, is every bit as bad as camera obsession. Who really gives a hoot about the other guy's picture, and if so, why?

Photography, unless of models, is by far at its best done alone without human distraction. If you need human distraction, what's wrong with a pub? There, you can have all the distraction anyone could want, and not even have to have anything to show for it at closing time. (You can just tell I dig honky-tonk music, can't you!)

:-)

Rob

Why wouldn't one be interested in someone else's pictures. If not most of this site is useless.
If it's your profession I maybe understand it, but for an amateur/hobbyist I wholeheartedly disagree with your point.
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 02:18:34 am »

I am sure I am generalizing here; I just can't stand when someone starts pestering me on a job about camera bodies and lens and ... with the client standing right there. 

Moral of the story, if you run into a professional photographer on a paid assignment, leave him alone.  He already has enough stuff on his mind to deal with.
Agree, I have never done that and neither has any of the groups I have been with. So I see no reason not to return the favour and stop painting every hobbyist with the same brush.

And when someone does this to you don't get frustrated, just tell him/her you don't have time. Life is too short for spending energy on these minor irritations which are really unimportant.
pieter, aka pegelli

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 03:44:00 am »

I remember the other side… Sitting in a café in regional NSW, maybe Bathurst, in probably 2005. I was approached by a couple of local pro photographers who had spied my new EOS 20D. Lots of questions about the camera/computers/software and a bit of touching (of the camera).  :)

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 09:27:56 am »

I remember the other side… Sitting in a café in regional NSW, maybe Bathurst, in probably 2005. I was approached by a couple of local pro photographers who had spied my new EOS 20D. Lots of questions about the camera/computers/software and a bit of touching (of the camera).  :)

Cheers,

That's regional Anywhere, I guess...

Rob C

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 09:33:50 am »

Why wouldn't one be interested in someone else's pictures. If not most of this site is useless.
If it's your profession I maybe understand it, but for an amateur/hobbyist I wholeheartedly disagree with your point.

For exactly the same reason I'd dislike any photographic "group outing" as it were; other people can do as they please, it doesn't upset me unless I have to join in.

The very few photographers on LuLa whose work interests me know who they are.

Snaps or overworked nothings - it comes to the same - have nothing to do with the attraction of LuLa to me. The site has other values that are important to me.

Rob

pegelli

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 09:52:59 am »

it doesn't upset me unless I have to join in.
No need to worry ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »

No need to worry ;)

About that, no; but life is far more complex, unfortunately, and so worry worms it way inside the soul.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:14 am »

Yesterday I found a new frustration within photography. I'd altered an image that's on my site, and on trying to scrub the old version to load the new, I found myself unable to enter the thing.

Off has gone the e-mail, but so annoying having to wait and face whatever the problem is. The site's okay, but not getting to do any work on it isn't!

Makes me think again of the doubtful reliability of digital posterity.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2017, 06:10:24 pm »

The trouble with any electronic device such as ipad or computer screen is that what you see on it can instantly be changed by turning a knob or pushing a slider, and you have no way of knowing how closely it comes to the photographer's vision. A print is fixed (and preferably adequately washed   ;) ) at least if it is processed well, and it doesn't change at all for a reasonable length of time.

Eric
I agree, only you have to be looking at the actual print...the screen is everywhere.
Peter
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:22:33 am by petermfiore »

Rob C

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:16 am »

Yes, I've seen lots of computer screens where everything is messed up because the users have no idea about the existence of calibration; what I have noticed with the little iPad is different: it appears to give all the images that I find on the web, my own as everybody else's, a sort of sense of thickness, a kind of enhanced substance and tonality - not meaning bumped contrast.

It's why I wonder if Apple uses different standards for its domestic machines as well as for its top-grade monitors, different standards to anyone else, I mean. Unfortunately, I have not seen my own stuff on an Apple monitor and so can't judge for myself.

There is also the possibilty of scale making a difference; it cetainly affects the way I can judge a picture on my own monitor: too big and I lose the feeling, and too small and the same happens. However, as with some Leica-glass wet prints, a difference can be seen if you know what you are seeking or even just experiencing.

Perhaps that's why they have Apple showrooms.

;-)

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 12:11:37 pm »

I agree, only you have to be looking at the actual print...the screen is everywhere.
Peter

Yes, everywhere, and - calibrated screens excluded - the variation drives me mad.

If it weren't for prints I'd have moved on long ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up