Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forth Bridge  (Read 1351 times)

KMRennie

Forth Bridge
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:20:41 am »

A multi shot panorama. I need to experiment with better pano stitching as this one looked very odd before I had a play with Warp and still doesn't look good now. I will have a go at Hugin and its various projections to see if it looks more normal. Of course it could be that the wierd look is exactly correct and my brain corrects the natutral scene but obviously not the photograph. Getting the colour balance will be difficult. Any comments welcome about stitching or colour balance welcome or indeed anything. Ken

thierrylegros396

Re: Forth Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:22 am »

Well done.

Thierry

Alskoj

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:19:34 pm »

Good job with the pano!  Keep at it and have fun!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:12:02 am »

The light is good, gives it a more industrial look, so to speak. What I find strange is the curvature of the water; could be a perspective effect?

francois

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:29 am »

The light is good, gives it a more industrial look, so to speak. What I find strange is the curvature of the water; could be a perspective effect?

That's the only negative for me. It probably comes from the multiple shots (tripod not exactly level or in software).
Other that that, it's a stunning shot.
Francois

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:55 am »

The tripod was exactly level. I suspect that it is my hamfisted attempt to make it look more natural by using "warp". I will have another attempt to stitch it. Ken

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:41 am »

The tripod was exactly level. I suspect that it is my hamfisted attempt to make it look more natural by using "warp". I will have another attempt to stitch it. Ken

I assume you are stitching these in PS? If so have you tried stitching the shots using the 'Cylindrical' option? This usually works well for me and is a tip I picked up from the man himself Jeff Schewe, but if you still have a curved horizon even after that, then duplicate the finished and flattened layer, select all and then go into warp and try using something like the 'Arc' option at around 05 or so to see if it straightens everything out for you.

Dave

KMRennie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:52 am »

Dave stitched in lightroom and then imported into PS. I am now trying it in photoshop and it is struggling but I will get it in the end. Thanks for the tip about arc in warp. I was so used to the odd perspectives in using an ultra wide angle lens that I didn't take an all in one image (dim or what?). Ken

KMRennie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:33 am »

Stitched in Hugin and then an attempt to make it look the way that your brain perceives it. This looks better to my eyes. Posted large so you can admire the 127 yr old engineering of this 1.5 mile long bridge. A UNESCO world heritage site and viewing it still gives me a thrill and I am not alone in this. Ken

francois

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:47 am »

Yes, this version looks a lot better.
Bravo!
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:40 am »

Yes, this version looks a lot better.
Bravo!

Ditto  :)

So what are you going to do with it now Ken that you have it finished to your liking? A huge print of this pano, because that is how it needs to be printed I think, would take up an entire wall in most houses I imagine, so would probably need hanging in an airport lounge or something to really look at its best.

Dave

Dave

KMRennie

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 11:12:44 am »

Probably do nothing with this image Dave my wife would not like it taking up a wall, trees yes, mountains, rivers and seascapes yes but 40,000 tons of steel no. I agree that it needs to be printed large but I only have an A3 printer so I would have to use a commercial printer and it would therefore be expensive. I will spend a few days in Fife taking seascapes and will take the image again in better light conditions perhaps with the "alpenglow" of a fading sunset lighting it up. I was very rushed and couldn't explore more locations to produce a shorter non pano shot but I will go back and explore both shores and all 3 bridges. Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up