Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI and Live View  (Read 1388 times)

arobinson7547

HDMI and Live View
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:52:53 am »

Greetings,

please tell me;

Did I just discover that you can not use HDMI for Live View and a Tethered connection at the same time?

I have a Nikon D800 and I have the HDMI connected to the Desktop Computer's Monitor, HDMI input. So that I can use the Screen (NEC PA302) for Live View.

The USB connection it connected to a Camera side Cmputer running Capture One.

When I enable LV and switch the  NEC's input over to HDMI, I get my picture.

But the SECOND I hit the power button on the Camera Side Computer, Live View turns off and pressing the button does nothing (I wont turn back on)

So really, what I'm seeing it that LV won't turn on when I'm tethered.

How can I use them both?

Thanks

arobinson7547

Re: HDMI and Live View
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:06 pm »

For anyone interested. I did a little web reading and read upon a topic that suggest that the D800 will immediately power off the HDMI if it detects 5v power coming from the USB Cable. The fellow that posted this says the information came from Nikon. Maybe to save Power (Battery Life)

The thread goes on to suggest trying a USB Cable WITHOUT the Power Leed connected (It seems that there are four wires in the UBS housing. If you cut one of them (the one for the 5v power) then the Data wires stay in contact and can continue to function. The Power is unnecessary for the D800 anyway, since it's not being used.

I am considering having BlackBox (a cable manufacture) make me a USB Cable without the Data wire connected. Worst case, should be that I would just have a 15ft Tether cable, that will or will not allow the HDMI to work at the same time. But I [hope to be] no worse off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up