Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for a Gitzo 1541T?  (Read 75041 times)

mshea

Replacement for a Gitzo 1541T?
« on: November 12, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »

I lost my 1541T (more likely a rental car employee has a nice 5-finger special). A great tripod, lightweight, short collapsed length, etc. But I'm not going to spend another $500 - $600 to replace it. Anybody have a recommendation for a more affordable, but solid replacement?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Merrill

armand

• Photos
Re: Replacement for a Gitzo 1541T?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:38 pm »

I think I have the same one. If you want better value I would look at Sirui among others, pretty solid and definitely cheaper.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »

I have a Gitzo GT2830 3-Section Basalt Tripod (Series 2). A Manfrotto 732CY M-Y Carbon Fiber Tripod and an Arca Swiss Monoball P0 head.

If it makes you feel better, these models weren't stolen from my lockup storage area. Luckily I didn't have any fishing gear (long story).

Good luck on finding a replacement.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

nma

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:41:44 pm »

Take a look at the Feisol 3442. It is about the same weight as the Gitzo 1541T. The price is sensible but not cheap.

andre_m

• andré muehling
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:54:10 am »

The Sirui T-1204XL is very similar to the Gitzo 1541T. Owning some tripods this is the one I take when traveling.

André

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
andremuehling.de

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:11 am »

Have you considered  the TQC-14 from Really Right Stuff?

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:07 pm »

But I'm not going to spend another $500 - $600 to replace it. Anybody have a recommendation for a more affordable, but solid replacement?

(Not to be flippant but...)

I fully respect that Gitzos are not cheap. And there are certainly plenty of things in life calling on our wallets and budgets. But I have found that tripods are a terrible place to try and save money.

Yes, there are other brands out there. And you may find one that fits your needs. For awhile. I have at one time or another purchased many different travel tripods. But I keep returning to my Gitzo traveller when I need something smaller/lighter. And when my larger, and constantly used, trusty Gitzo Mountaineer was upgraded recently to a newer model, I sold the old one (Gitzo's hold their resale value as well) and bought the new model. I dont regret spending the money for Gitzo. Eat at home instead of going out for a night or two and you will make up the difference.

Or buy a USED Gitzo instead of a new one (ebay link to one selling right now: http://tinyurl.com/y8f3uusl)
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:00 am »

I went through various high-end Manfrotto and even alternative Vanguard tripods - carbon, geared columns etc.  the works. I'm so happy with my Gitzo - light, sturdy, nicely collapsible, everything simply works. And it's an "older" generation tripod, from the ones the internet reported as heralding the end of Gitzo. Bought it new, at a steep discount, to compensate for the "risks" - I would currently not buy anything else, and I would be willing even to pay full retail price for it.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 02:28:47 am »

I dont regret spending the money for Gitzo. Eat at home instead of going out for a night or two and you will make up the difference.

This reminds me that I have been through a bunch of bodies and lenses during the years my Traveler has kept on working beautifully. I think that makes it relatively inexpensive.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:16 pm »

You guys made me look.

Here is some quick actual info, see the attached pictures of the Gitzo 1541T and Sirui 1205X

I never tested them with the same setup as I'm using for different purposes but I just put them side by side.

The Gitzo seems to be a touch more stable when trying to rock it around, not really scientific. The difference is probably more to the fact that it has 4 legs vs 5 legs on the Sirui.
The articulations are stiffer, could be because is older. The Sirui has more meaningful hard stop angles, 1 extra vs Gitzo.
Easy opening, they are similar.
The Gitzo gets a touch higher, particularly with the column extented (I rarely do).
Sirui is a little lighter by 70g and is significantly more compact when folded, 13.8" vs 16.1".
Theoretical supported loads: Sirui 10kg, Gitzo 8kg.

I got the Sirui because it gets more compact. If I don't need the compactness (it comes handy even when is not absolutely necessary) I usually take the Gitzo. These days if I don't care about the weight I get the Manfrotto 190CXPro (I think that was the name) that is more stable and has a column that get horizontal.

If I had to choose again I would look at the Sirui T-1204XL. Is as heavy as the the Gitzo at 1 kg but gets taller at 52 vs 44.5 (w/o column) and has a better weight rating at 12kg for whatever it's worth. It's less compact at 18.3" though.
This Sirui sounds practically as good for a better price, not that is that cheap at 370$.
Pages: [1]   Go Up