Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sally Mann  (Read 5923 times)

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
Re: Sally Mann
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 02:56:45 pm »

I was intrigued enough by your terse comment to switch to your website.

I believe it is an inevitable feeling for you - your own photographic take is almost a polar opposite to hers; I think the surprise would be if you could enjoy her oeuvre.

Rob

That's a curious inference. FYI I love Sally Mann's work.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 03:14:27 pm »

I don't like her work

That's why I inferred as I did. Now you tell me you do like her work?

Incidentally; if DougDolde is not the same person as luong, how did luong manage to get into the act?

I can't see where I posted a response to any luong on this thread.

Denmark, rotten smells... ;-) what cooks?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:21:01 pm by Rob C »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »

Manns book is so much more than an autobiography. It's a genuinely important mediation on, well, a lot of things. Race. Family. America. Death. By a smart and hard headed woman.

My opinion is that she is easily the finest living photographer, but by no means an easy one. Hard headed woman. You think immediate family is tough? Have a go at what remains

This is work that has literally changed me, the way art is supposed to. Also, she is a lovely person.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 07:59:48 am »

Manns book is so much more than an autobiography. It's a genuinely important mediation on, well, a lot of things. Race. Family. America. Death. By a smart and hard headed woman.

My opinion is that she is easily the finest living photographer, but by no means an easy one. Hard headed woman. You think immediate family is tough? Have a go at what remains

This is work that has literally changed me, the way art is supposed to. Also, she is a lovely person.

Finest living etc.

That's, as you write, opinion. There are so many wonderful women snappers around - and always have been - that trying to rate them on a gender scale is silly, and rating them on a even wider one here even more risky! But opinion is your right, too.

I am very much taken with her photography myself, hence this thread.

Now, would I rate her olde worlde techniques as particulary great? No. I rate her traditional techniques, done with a very clear eye, as her triumph. Perhaps she felt an inner need to explore antiquated methods too, but that doesn't imply that they are better or even as interesting. There is no value in aping the past unless it can offer something better than what is currently available. Of course, curiosity is a factor, and perhaps commercial expediency too, but those are different matters.

But is art supposed to change one? I'd be more inclined to believe it's there to encourage one in doing what one always wanted to do; that others manage to make it work is the encouragement for me. I have not felt that I want to be a second Sally Mann; I only think she does what she does remarkably well and that her eye is superb.

I don't know her personally, and so don't know if her real persona is one I'd embrace, but then few are.

From what I have learned, she has followed the dream, paid and is still paying her dues, and that's pretty cool enough for me.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:14:13 pm by Rob C »

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 01:14:45 pm »

That's why I inferred as I did. Now you tell me you do like her work?

Incidentally; if DougDolde is not the same person as luong, how did luong manage to get into the act?

I can't see where I posted a response to any luong on this thread.

Denmark, rotten smells... ;-) what cooks?

QT Luong is not Doug Dolde, which your good friend Google will easily confirm :-)

What cooks? I read the thread because of the title. I addressed you because I found it curious that one could infer if photographer A likes photographer's B work based on viewing of photographer A's work. I mentioned my admiration for Mann (and agree with Andrew on all counts) because maybe you'd place my work in the same space as Doug's. But now your line of not wanting to be a second Sally Mann seems to explain.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:20:42 pm by luong »
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »

QT Luong is not Doug Dolde, which your good friend Google will easily confirm :-)

What cooks? I read the thread because of the title. I addressed you because I found it curious that one could infer if photographer A likes photographer's B work based on viewing of photographer A's work. I mentioned my admiration for Mann (and agree with Andrew on all counts) because maybe you'd place my work in the same space as Doug's. But now your line of not wanting to be a second Sally Mann seems to explain.

Curiouser and curiouser, as the quotation runs, but if it's clear to you, then I'm cool with that!

But still, claiming any single photographer is believed by you (meaning anyone) to be the best in the world is silly: it requires you, at least, to have seen all of them in order to judge properly, or your call is nothing more than hyperbole and based on not a lot. However, claiming someone your favourite is perfectly acceptable, I'd imagine. Trouble is, from my own point of view, I have several favourites which also strikes me as impossible. I must try to pick one, and stop messing about as mood changes. But how to choose between Sarah Moon and Saul Leiter, or even Hans Feurer, for that matter?

You see the difficulty I face every day? Thank God I'm not an art buyer/director in an important ad agency - I'd have gone crazy by now with all these choices.

:-)

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:40 am »

For those of you in the Washington DC area or who plan to travel down, the National Gallery of Art will be mounting an exhibition of Sally Mann images:  https://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2018/sally-mann-a-thousand-crossings.html  It begins in early March and runs through May.  As always, admission is free!!!

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 02:01:26 pm »

For those of you in the Washington DC area or who plan to travel down, the National Gallery of Art will be mounting an exhibition of Sally Mann images:  https://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2018/sally-mann-a-thousand-crossings.html  It begins in early March and runs through May.  As always, admission is free!!!

Oooh Alan, be careful! She's controversial, and somebody is bound to complain and get her little thread closed down! Don't even think of starting a thread on Peter Joel Witkin!

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:38 pm »

Oooh Alan, be careful! She's controversial, and somebody is bound to complain and get her little thread closed down! Don't even think of starting a thread on Peter Joel Witkin!

Rob
I just reported the facts and only the facts!!!   ;D

James Clark

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 02:58:27 pm »

Rob

Excellent. :)

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 03:33:16 pm »

I just reported the facts and only the facts!!!   ;D

Joe Friday.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up