Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with 35mm Camera images  (Read 385018 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Fun with 35mm Camera images
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2018, 04:51:57 am »

Yes, film is a lure, but the problem of cost (of film) can't be ignored - by myself, at least. I have a Nikon F3 that I bought after my F4 because I could never get the too bloody clever F4 to load properly first time. It humiliated me time after time, so back to a new 3 I went. But even owning a camera that's still practically new, film processing is pretty much impossible for me here and even transparencies are hard to get processed. Did I mention cost? Yes, I must have done that.

Worse, the problem of repairing old cameras is not going to go away or become cheaper to handle, so in the end, it's probably best to remember them with love and stay digital.

Even for those where film costs are unlikely to matter at all, there comes a time when it's time to let go. For Hans Feurer, it was when Kodachrome became history. I shared his pain. I still have some in the freezer as part of the legacy for my family a couple of hundred years from now. I expect they will have to buy a new freezer by then...

Film isn't a lure for me at all. I still shoot film with a Nikon F65 but it can't adopt all the lenses I love like my 50f1.2. When I have a session I usually shoot both mediums and only one roll of 120 is sufficient (Ektar 100, Velvia 50, Portra 160). So I need only 10 film photos per big projects, that means 10 to 15 rolls per year, not a big deal. As for development, I send it to any lab I want, quality is always good and they scan high PPI 16-bit tiffs for not that much money. A friend gift me a GF645 for testing and I know this is what I want (in 667) this is why I know I need a compact foldable Film MF such as the GF 667 (or Bessa III 667), not a brick Pentax ;)

If someone here does not want his foldable MF (not wide angle) anymore, please I am willing to give him a new home.

Very good stuff Dr White, love the golden hours tones.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:41 am »

Almost out-of-camera straight.

(D200 with 2.8/24mm manual Nikkor.)

Rob

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2018, 07:41:24 am »

Two "croperamas"

Hint of colour

Hazy morning look over an almost deserted beach
pieter, aka pegelli

TimoK

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2018, 03:12:52 pm »

Cambo Actus, Canon 6d, Distagon CF 50mm fle. 5 vertical shots stitched. Around 1 degree tilt.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2018, 04:44:56 pm »

Missed you Timo! Love the top third less a bit of the very top of that third~ appreciate in it's entirety, but just mentioning the portion I would adore printed large ay the far wall of my editing area these days. Lumine!
A common woman~

TimoK

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 11:20:48 am »

Missed you Timo! Love the top third less a bit of the very top of that third~ appreciate in it's entirety, but just mentioning the portion I would adore printed large ay the far wall of my editing area these days. Lumine!
Thank You Patricia for your kind words!
This picture is still in progress in my mind. I printed a small copy, 75cm (30") wide, to my wall. I still am thinking what to do with it to make it three thirds of a good picture.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2018, 08:56:02 pm »

D850

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2018, 09:10:59 pm »

Hazy morning look over an almost deserted beach

Nice! That very much reminds me of the view we used to have from our appartement in Nieuwpoort!

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:42 am »

D5

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 10:49:11 am »

I like this, Bernard. What instrument is the man in the mask playing?

Rob C

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:05 am »

I'm just guessing, but he looks to be scraping the last of his ice cream from the tub.

My association with musos is somewhat similar, but instead of delighting my sweet tooth, I make snaps of them (the musos, that is).

The inscrutability derives from the fact that eating ice cream whilst wearing a mask is a special talent beyond western comprehension.

;-(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:42:43 am by Rob C »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 07:08:09 am »

D5

And the instrument above is a very Japanese one for sure! ;) No idea how it's called though...

Cheers,
Bernard

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:21 am »

New York Botanical Garden (Bronx, NYC) in IR B/W
29 Jan 2010

converted 5D2 to IR and 24-105mm F4 lens

Rob C

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 11:46:17 am »

D5

And the instrument above is a very Japanese one for sure! ;) No idea how it's called though...

Cheers,
Bernard

Hannah. This will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpg7Bvmwi2g

Rob

Chris Livsey

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 03:17:39 am »

Even for those where film costs are unlikely to matter at all, there comes a time when it's time to let go. For Hans Feurer, it was when Kodachrome became history. I shared his pain. I still have some in the freezer as part of the legacy for my family a couple of hundred years from now. I expect they will have to buy a new freezer by then...

I don't know why Rob but your mention of Hans Feure brought to mind this article which you may find interesting:

https://unitednationsofphotography.com/2016/04/23/is-it-still-fashionable-to-be-a-fashion-photographer/

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 03:19:56 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

degrub

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2018, 08:02:57 am »

Beautifully sculpted bentwood chairs. Nice shape echoes in the room framing. But is it not odd to have such pointy legged furniture on tatami ?
If i may ask, which place is this in Japan ?

Rob C

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2018, 08:17:40 am »

I don't know why Rob but your mention of Hans Feure brought to mind this article which you may find interesting:

https://unitednationsofphotography.com/2016/04/23/is-it-still-fashionable-to-be-a-fashion-photographer/

Thanks for your link, Chris; the article was fairly as I remember the scene to have been, other than that Blow Up was seen, at the time, as something of a joke by we who had nursed our interest from an epoch a decade or so previously. To be specific, that scene where the two chicks and the hero destroy a roll of background paper by cavorting on it would never have happened on my watch: Colorama was just too bloody expensive to waste like that. I even used to put masking tape on all the girls' shoes just to avoid scuff marks. Photoshop might have saved me the trouble...

But yes, I do think that I wouldn't fit into the role today. Throughout my years at it, all the models were perfectly capable of doing their own hair and makeup even though the artists for the above functions already existed. I suppose it was a matter of geography and budgets, and as Brian Duffy explains in his video about the shoot for the iconic Bowie image, if you want to make it expensive, you have come to the right place!

Heroin chic and the younger set wasn't, I think, as much about style as about inability to work on a higher, more developed professional level. But death became a clean-up man, as in the Pulp Fiction sense, where today, memory of it features in insurance company commercials.

I believe the greatest change is caused by the slow death of print, coupled with the increased difficulty in trying to make a go of it (photography) as a viable profession as distinct from a trustafarian's delight. I just found a link, yesterday, to Sandra Lousada, a photographer whose work I enjoyed from way back; I discovered that she came from an established, showbiz/arts family... how do you compete? Which is not to denigrate the great work that she does, but unless doors are ajar, you have little to no chance of getting your foot across the threshold.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Rob

Chris Livsey

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2018, 10:55:48 am »

Chris; the article was fairly as I remember the scene to have been, other than that Blow Up was seen, at the time, as something of a joke by we who had nursed our interest from an epoch a decade or so previously.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Rob

Pleasure Rob, "Blow Up" was always rather a self indulgent film I think and like any film the truth is perverted to serve its ends but it was and is great fun to watch. There is a short film somewhere that re-visits the locations in London that is interesting.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »

From a recent trip to Rajasthan, India.

Leica M240, 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar ZM, @f2.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up