Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P5000; leave on or off?  (Read 4469 times)

funfoto

Epson P5000; leave on or off?
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:55 pm »

Does anyone know or have experience with whether to leave the P5000 on or off?
Thanks!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson P5000; leave on or off?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »

Turn it off when not in use. You can set the automatic timing of power-down delay in Preferences.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »

Leave on if you're not going to be away from it that long (if leaving it for a few weeks to months), than turn off and unplug the power cord from either the printer itself or the wall.  The print head becomes magnetic when plugged in which dust can than stick to hit and cause the nozzles to clog.  Doesn't mean it will remain clogged, but this can help prevent it from doing multiple cleanings afterward.

If you leave the printer on, the time feature is set to default and will wake up automatically and check the nozzles.  The timer can be changed at your discretion.

If it's turned off and than back on quite often, you're going through a decent amount of ink through start up all together (basically agitation process).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »

Leave on if you're not going to be away from it that long (if leaving it for a few weeks to months), than turn off and unplug the power cord from either the printer itself or the wall.  The print head becomes magnetic when plugged in which dust can than stick to hit and cause the nozzles to clog.  Doesn't mean it will remain clogged, but this can help prevent it from doing multiple cleanings afterward.

If you leave the printer on, the time feature is set to default and will wake up automatically and check the nozzles.  The timer can be changed at your discretion.

If it's turned off and than back on quite often, you're going through a decent amount of ink through start up all together (basically agitation process).

This depends on whether one uses any of the auto-settings. Powering it up does not use ink if auto-everything is OFF. Agitating ink by definition should shake it, not waste it. Any time I've discussed this matter with Epson the consistent advice is to power it down when not using it for more than a day or so.

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:58:43 pm »

The head does not become magnetic, and when it's sealed and not operating (moving) it's also not generating any static.  When it's sitting at home, sealed, it can't cause clogs.

As Mark says, there is no ink used unless it runs a clean and you can set it to not do that, so switching off and on costs no ink.

Also, unplugging from the wall doesn't do anything other than create an air gap in the event of a power surge.  You should run all expensive electronics through a surge protector or UPS anyway.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »

Phil, are you OK with the advice to power down when not using?

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »

Phil, are you OK with the advice to power down when not using?

Absolutely.  That's what I've always done across numerous products.  Why burn power if you don't need to?  It won't break your bank to leave it on, but switching off makes sure it writes out data and updates etc. and as a bonus you save a few dollars a year.  If you have a work group environment and people are in and out and so on, sure, leave it on all the time because it would be a pain to have to check, but if it's just you, I'd switch off.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:33:24 pm »

Thanks Phil.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:09 pm »

I've been testing leaving my p5000 and p9000 to go to sleep, but not having it power down (so leaving the power on 24/7).  The head seems to park adequately and the p9000 seems to occasionally wake up momentarily , sounds like it is "parking" the head then sleeping again. My p9000 auto power down doesn't seem to work anyway.

The p5000 uses 2 watts of power when in sleep mode, thats about $2 a year in electricity.  Perhaps turning it off and on 100 times may require more power than that, although it may take just as much power to wake it up as it does to turn it on.

The main reason I've been trying this is powering up seems to almost always trigger an auto nozzle check, sometimes followed by an auto nozzle clean process.  It seems waking from sleep does this less often (rarely) , allowing me to run a nozzle check pattern and decide if I need to clean any nozzles.  Neither printer requires cleaning very often so I sort of prefer managing this myself. Unfortunately disabling auto nozzle checks in the preferences doesn't affect those during startup.

I have not come to any conclusions regarding whether or not this is helpful, other than offering a pretty vague statement that it seems to.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:04:04 pm by Wayne Fox »

funfoto

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:36 pm »

According to my conversation with Epson, they said to leave it on if you are printing regularly/daily and to shut it down completely if it's going to be idle for any length of time. So that's what I'm doing with mine at the moment.

On another issue, Wayne, are you having any trouble with your P5000 going into sleep mode?  I have mine set for 15 min.  It works sometimes and other times it just stays on and never goes into sleep mode unless I shut it down and restart.  Then it will sleep for a few times after printing and then stays on continuously.  What's been your experience with your P5000 in this regard?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:29 pm »

According to my conversation with Epson, they said to leave it on if you are printing regularly/daily and to shut it down completely if it's going to be idle for any length of time. So that's what I'm doing with mine at the moment.

On another issue, Wayne, are you having any trouble with your P5000 going into sleep mode?  I have mine set for 15 min.  It works sometimes and other times it just stays on and never goes into sleep mode unless I shut it down and restart.  Then it will sleep for a few times after printing and then stays on continuously.  What's been your experience with your P5000 in this regard?
No real issue with it going to sleep.  It will wake up if something happens on the USB line (such as restarting the computer or unplugging the usb and plugging it back in), then goes back to sleep.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:39:13 am by Wayne Fox »

funfoto

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:28 pm »

So I wonder if something is going on with my computer keeping it from sleeping...I have it connected via USB.
Guess a call to Epson in the morning is in order.

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 10:19:41 am »

The main reason I've been trying this is powering up seems to almost always trigger an auto nozzle check, sometimes followed by an auto nozzle clean process. Unfortunately disabling auto nozzle checks in the preferences doesn't affect those during startup.

Very interesting Wayne.  I have often wondered why it takes so long to power up the P7000 after the initial procedure seems to have been completed, as I remember from the 9900.  The display message is simply, "Please Wait", not that there's an alternative.  Although there is no message stating that a nozzle check or a cleaning cycle is running, I have often wondered if that is the case, even though all "Auto" settings are OFF.  If so, how much ink is the printer dumping, perhaps unnecessarily?  I suppose the only way to make that assessment would be to check the ink % just before shutting down and then immediately following power up.  I will do exactly that very soon and pass along any numbers that might be of interest. 

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 12:17:25 pm »

My 5000 tells me when it is checking nozzles and then if it cleans them when I power the printer on.

I do think it takes longer to start up than wake from sleep, and it does make sounds similar to when it cleans nozzles.  I assume some ink is used at startup to make sure the nozzles are primed, although it's much faster than a clean so it doesn't seem like it would be very significant.

Garnick

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 01:01:18 pm »

My 5000 tells me when it is checking nozzles and then if it cleans them when I power the printer on.

I do think it takes longer to start up than wake from sleep, and it does make sounds similar to when it cleans nozzles.  I assume some ink is used at startup to make sure the nozzles are primed, although it's much faster than a clean so it doesn't seem like it would be very significant.

Hi again Wayne,

The P7000 display on start up does not give any notice of what's actually happening under the hood after all of the start up procedures I was used to with the 9900.  As I mentioned, the only message on the display at that point on the P7000 is "Please Wait".  So, I wait.  I was on the phone with Epson for almost an hour concerning my "cosmetic" issue with the P7000.  While there I also asked about this start up situation, and I was told that indeed the printer does a nozzle check and possibly a clean cycle at start up, regardless of the pref set by the user.  Apparently, that feature was included in the first version of the Firmware, but due to the amount of flak they received it was deleted from the following FW update.  Then a number of complaints about that feature not being included, so it was inserted once again, as it was originally.  Well, I guess you really can't please all of the people all of the time.  I would be quite happy if it was not part of the start up sequence, since I always run a nozzle check after every power up.  Once again, it is what it is.

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:23:25 pm »

Apparently, that feature was included in the first version of the Firmware, but due to the amount of flak they received it was deleted from the following FW update.  Then a number of complaints about that feature not being included, so it was inserted once again, as it was originally.  Well, I guess you really can't please all of the people all of the time.
I guess it would be too easy to include another option in the settings where you disable ANC which allows you to enable/disable it on power up.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 03:51:39 am »

It should be pretty close to zero. I think the ink used for priming the lines would be available for printing - or at least 99% of it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 04:23:29 am »

I guess it would be too easy to include another option in the settings where you disable ANC which allows you to enable/disable it on power up.

Not sure whether the issue relates to difficulty - quite likely there is a wide range of stuff they could program quite easily, as your remark infers. The issue is more likely "corporate responsibility". The involuntary maintenance operations are designed to keep the printers humming along without surprises so the customers won't get the urge to sue them if they produce defective prints. Therefore they maintain some operations in the "mandatory" category and may change their minds periodically about what should be considered as mandatory.

funfoto

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 01:14:55 pm »

Update on Sleep mode not working:  While awaiting a tech call back from Epson, I've switched the machine to MK, and now the sleep mode is working correctly.  I can only wonder now if when I switch it back to PK, the sleep timer will stop working again.  (scratching my head over this one)
Only time will tell...stay tuned!

mearussi

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 06:59:27 am »

The head does not become magnetic, and when it's sealed and not operating (moving) it's also not generating any static.  When it's sitting at home, sealed, it can't cause clogs.

As Mark says, there is no ink used unless it runs a clean and you can set it to not do that, so switching off and on costs no ink.

Also, unplugging from the wall doesn't do anything other than create an air gap in the event of a power surge.  You should run all expensive electronics through a surge protector or UPS anyway.
Surge protectors are useless. I lost two printers using only surge protectors. Now I use a good quality UPS.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up