Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindbergh book  (Read 1898 times)

Rob C

Lindbergh book
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:26:38 pm »

Graham- Been sleuthing through this thing again, and several images seem strangely out of internal scale.

Page 261, for example: Linda's boot seems totally huge compared with the "civilian" walking closer to camera. The two models look shot with one focal length and the intruding foreground woman with another. She just doesn't scale right.

Waddya think?

Rob

Rob C

Re: Lindbergh book
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:21:51 pm »

Huh!

The "civilian" is back again on page 347!!!!!!!!

It's all a fix, I tell you; so much for image and truth!

:-)

Rob

P.S. This is fun! Roll over Hercule!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:37:14 am »

I'll have a look tonight :)

Meantime, the "matte" paper is also strange. If you check some blank pages, the paper is actually a smooth semi-gloss. The ink however is sometimes quite rough to the touch: in my copy, the double page shot of Richard Gere is very matte on the left, mostly black page. Some other pages that are simply printed black at the beginning of sections have a smoother, burnished feel... as do some photos. It's possible that the printer was trying to put too much ink on the page, rather than doing proper separations and multiple inks. That's just a speculation: I assume Taschen contract out their printing and don't have the quality control of Steidl.

Then again, I have an earlier Lindbergh book, "10 Women" or somesuch, which is printed on genuinely crappy matte paper. Maybe then it's a look PL approves of?

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:28:51 am »

Page 261, for example: Linda's boot seems totally huge compared with the "civilian" walking closer to camera. The two models look shot with one focal length and the intruding foreground woman with another. She just doesn't scale right.

Ah, I think he's ready to start doing photojournalism, sorry story-telling, in India.

I guess he wanted to play with the "larger than life" idea... in any case, it would have been cruel to ask anyone to go out in public dressed in the Chanel gear on p.261. What would Coco have thought? I think she'd have swallowed her cigarette in shock.
At least by the time he got to p.347 his technique was better (although since it's sequenced by designer rather than date...)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:00:31 am »

Ah, I think he's ready to start doing photojournalism, sorry story-telling, in India.

I guess he wanted to play with the "larger than life" idea... in any case, it would have been cruel to ask anyone to go out in public dressed in the Chanel gear on p.261. What would Coco have thought? I think she'd have swallowed her cigarette in shock.
At least by the time he got to p.347 his technique was better (although since it's sequenced by designer rather than date...)

By the headdress, I'd have guessed North America... Never thought the day would come I'd volunteer help to PL, but here goes: Pete, baby, next time you wanna drop in a figure from the past - or future - do make her edges a bit blurred; it goes with the hurry in which she finds herself, and moderates (oops!) the obvious signs of scissors, real or virtual. That'll be two hunded bucks, please.

;-)

Rob

P.S.

Many years ago I bought and still have, a book called Sirens of Costasmeralda (sic) by Marco Glaviano, a very accomplished Sicilian photographer who made it big in the States in the fashion and magazine world. This was the second Sirens book... I bought it for two reasons: I had worked in Sardinia a couple of times; I saw some pics from his original Sirens (but not the book itself), a filmic shoot, and therefore expected something wonderful. The something wonderful turned out to be spotting the same cloud formations cloned into parts of different pages. It was a digital shoot. The women? I didn't have hysterically brilliant luck from Sardinia either. It wasn't the girls I chose. One I used in Mallorca, too, so she's excused blame, and the other was a very attractive Swede (Mona) working in London, but the weather betrayed us both. Shooting Kodachrome through a light Nikon A filter didn't cut it, theory aside. Dismal remains pretty dismal, and filter colour is, well, filter colour. But spray from enraged sea looks cool. As does watching lightning hit the sea just outside the hotel.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:36:04 am »

http://www.peterlindbergh.com/films/37

Latest video I've found.

Again, it's the movie man that should get the credit for this! Yes, he gets a by-line, but in the end, whose wok are we watching?

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:32:17 am »

but in the end, whose wok are we watching?

I guess it depends how much he is working "under the direction of" PL... a little like the discussion of assistants who set up lighting and etc etc following the concept of the photographer, who may or not press the button.

Then who does the editing...

But he is or they are very good, I think :)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:07:52 am »

I guess it depends how much he is working "under the direction of" PL... a little like the discussion of assistants who set up lighting and etc etc following the concept of the photographer, who may or not press the button.

Then who does the editing...

But he is or they are very good, I think :)

Indeed!

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up