Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount  (Read 132361 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:32:52 am »

I am intrigued by the report of Lloyd Chambers on the built-in focus stacking in the D850. He loves it. I might like to try it out, but I have very few autofocus lenses because I don't use autofocus... much.

I would appreciate hearing about ANY lenses for Nikon F-Mount (having autofocus) that are highly corrected (approximating APO-level). Any suggestions are appreciated.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

henrikfoto

Re: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:48:58 am »

I am intrigued by the report of Lloyd Chambers on the built-in focus stacking in the D850. He loves it. I might like to try it out, but I have very few autofocus lenses because I don't use autofocus... much.

I would appreciate hearing about ANY lenses for Nikon F-Mount (having autofocus) that are highly corrected (approximating APO-level). Any suggestions are appreciated.

I donˋt know if it has been tested, but the 200mm f2 must be one of the best af-lenses
from Nikon ever. Not a macro, but maybe perfect for your kind of work?

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:21 am »

The problem with focus stacking is that, in most lenses, the focal length, and, thus, the magnification, changes as the focal plane changes, sometimes quite dramatically. You end up with a set of images that don't line up properly. I've tried it with long lenses for landscapes, to avoid having to stop down to f/20 for sufficient DOF - the results weren't worth talking about.

So far, I haven't been able to find a list of lenses where this effect does not occur, especially at the pixel level.

I suspect that the future solution to focus issues will be software-based deconvolution, likely combined with sensor oversampling to increase the data quality, rather than anything in lens design. Same thing with wavelength dispersion and diffraction-related loss of sharpness.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:25:59 am by shadowblade »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:53:21 am »

Hi,

I don't subscribe to Diglloyd any longer, but I would recall that he has tested the Sigma 180/2.8 APO Macro lens. As far as I recall it was truly excellent.

If you subscribe, it may be on DAP or the Leica pages.

This one? https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/DAP/Sigma180-150.APO/compare-180mm-dolls.html?dglyPT=true

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »

Shadowblade, look at Michael Erlewine's website to see what can be accomplished with focus stacking. Amazing work can be done with a bit of care and an a good program such as Zerene stacker or Helicon focus. I have been using Zerene and it's pretty amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up