Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FYI - i1Studio - the ColorMunki Photo update  (Read 23101 times)

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: FYI - i1Studio - the ColorMunki Photo update
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 08:21:57 pm »

CLIs are twentieth century working methods. It's just lazy not to give something worthwhile a GUI now.
If it's so easy, why haven't you contributed a GUI ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:48 pm »

Graeme, as the author of the software you have made a huge contribution, it's open source, and many people have been very supportive in numerous ways. I don't take any of that away from you. At the same time, however, as a user of software I have to make cogent decisions about how to spend my time, and learning CLI isn't a pursuit that I think worthwhile. Obviously other people such as Alan and indeed your whole user base think differently. That's fine, each to his/her own. I'm really taking aim at the professional, commercial corporation who charges dearly for their products, puts out poorly designed, poorly documented sloppy stuff and doesn't build in some features that your open source program allows for - and I don't want to have to learn CLI to get those features, especially having paid the price for the commercial product. That's where I'm coming from. And if someone with the right skills did design a nice GUI for your application, that would be a huge contribution to the industry, opening it up to some badly needed competition.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 09:32:45 pm »

Mark,
I concur. Graeme's work is invaluable.

I'm pretty comfortable with both command line and gui. There are many areas I prefer command line apps. But then I spent decades with Unix systems so it's pretty ingrained. In Matlab I rarely use the available gui apps preferring to use functions I've written.

For instance this one liner converts any image from Lab to a colorimetric version of an image as printed using Perceptual Intent.

proofImage=ProfileConvert(image, 'profile name', 'f', 0, 'r', 3)

It converts the image in Lab to the RGB printer device space using Perceptual Intent then back to Lab. Those colors match what's printed if I spot check a color with the I1Pro. A 10 megapixel image takes just a few seconds.  I used to do that with Photoshop. Edit->Convert then select the profile and Perceptual.  Then Edit->Convert Lab.

But in Matlab I can examine analytically all sorts of effects like the change in color due to, for instance, gamut compression.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 04:32:25 am »

If it's so easy, why haven't you contributed a GUI ?
Why should bother ? I've got three other profiling packages that work well and are simple to use.
I haven't needed to write my own software for anything for twenty years now.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 07:10:48 am »

Why should bother ? I've got three other profiling packages that work well and are simple to use.
I haven't needed to write my own software for anything for twenty years now.
Nobody is asking you to use Argyll and nobody is asking you to write software.  If you are happy with what you have that's fine but don't harp on a product that the others find invaluable.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 08:21:02 am »

Nobody is asking you to use Argyll and nobody is asking you to write software.  If you are happy with what you have that's fine but don't harp on a product that the others find invaluable.
I don't really think he is... and so what anyway?

I fully share Mark's views on the software outlined earlier, except his learning Chinese is my keeping up with piano practice :-)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 08:34:08 am »

I don't really think he is... and so what anyway?

I fully share Mark's views on the software outlined earlier, except his learning Chinese is my keeping up with piano practice :-)

I didn't say I was actually learning it Keith, it was a hypothetical, but ya know, these days it may just be a great idea to do so!  :-)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 09:00:40 am »

I didn't say I was actually learning it Keith, it was a hypothetical, but ya know, these days it may just be a great idea to do so!  :-)
Hypothetical, in a similar way to my daily piano practice... ;-)

Rhossydd

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:51 am »

nobody is asking you to write software.
Actually that just what he did, the quote from GWGill was "why haven't you contributed a GUI ?" I just answered.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:04:16 am by Rhossydd »

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »

Why should bother ?
Oh, I see - just laziness then.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:10 pm »

No probably the same reason that I'd not take it on either.

I've not written any serious code for or done any interface design this century.

Please accept that we appreciate your efforts, but have no interest in CLI software

Rhossydd

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:24 am »

You think I'm lazy because I don't write you a sensible interface for your software that I don't use ? A curious notion.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »

Do I understand correctly that ColorMunki Photo is now superseded by this Studio product.  And I can download the Studio software and use it on my recently purchased ColorMunki Photo and do things like calibrating a scanner - a capability that is not included with Photo.

:Niranjan.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 05:48:09 pm »

And I can download the Studio software and use it on my recently purchased ColorMunki Photo and do things like calibrating a scanner - a capability that is not included with Photo.
Yes! You need a scanner target for one. It supports the Macbeth 24 patch but I have no idea how well that would work; not a target I'd use for that process!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »

Yes! You need a scanner target for one. It supports the Macbeth 24 patch but I have no idea how well that would work; not a target I'd use for that process!

Done lots of scanner profiling, and I agree. If we're talking about profiling it for film scanning it requires at least an IT.8 or better still a Hutchcolor. SilverFast Auto IT.8 does a much faster and more elegant job than X-Rite's processes, and the profiles are good.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 01:07:05 pm »

Done lots of scanner profiling, and I agree. If we're talking about profiling it for film scanning it requires at least an IT.8 or better still a Hutchcolor. SilverFast Auto IT.8 does a much faster and more elegant job than X-Rite's processes, and the profiles are good.

Thanks...

Found this on X-Rite site:
>>>>
Scanner Calibration and Profiling:
Scanner profiling is super easy. Simply scan and crop your target to generate a high quality ICC profile. Supports these targets: ColorChecker Classic (Standard and Mini sizes), ColorChecker Digital SG, Reflective IT 8.7/2, Transmissive 4x5 and 35mm IT8.7/1.
<<<<

I have it8.7/2 target, but profiling using VueScan was not satisfactory.  Also have the ColorChecker Classic Mini that came with Photo, so a couple of options to comapre.  I will see if this is a good way or not. 

On the other hand, I wonder why one can not use a target printed for paper profiling (apart from software not written for it.)   

:Niranjan.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:33 am »

You think I'm lazy because I don't write you a sensible interface for your software that I don't use ? A curious notion.
But yet you still think it was sensible then to make a similar statement about someone else?
It's just lazy not to give something worthwhile a GUI now.
A curious notion indeed

I do wonder if people who blab about UI here have ever coded any UI in practice at all. Had they done it or were exposed to any UI development then any reasons for questioning Graeme or anyone else's motives for CLI interfaces would go away. UI coding takes extraordinary amount of time to fiddle with things that have nothing to do with application functionality and this takes a lot of time away from the developing main functionality. CLI interfaces on the other hand are fairly simple to write and the main effort there goes into application functionality rather than CLI interfaces. This is probably one of the reason people still do write them. For users all it takes is a little extra effort to learn what to run and parameters used. Nothing really extraordinary comparing to using various UI settings and clicking buttons and menus. Argyll CMS unlike some even UI applications is very well documented including workflows which makes it really easy to learn.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:58:11 am by Alexey.Danilchenko »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:25 am »

I do wonder if people who blab about UI here have ever coded any UI in practice at all.
Some of us have yes.

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 11:13:08 am »

Some of us have yes.
You didn't blab about that though  ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 12:02:14 pm »

You didn't blab about that though  ;)
Indeed I did. Notice the screen capture I provided with 'none' on the dropdown menu? That's really a bad design! The dropdown is populated with names of the kinds of B&W profiles to be created. You can't create a none setting B&W profile.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:07:38 pm by digitaldog »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up