Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premiere Pro CC 2018  (Read 7579 times)

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Premiere Pro CC 2018
« on: October 18, 2017, 07:41:01 pm »

Well, I've done it again:  Foolishly immediately updated to the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2018 while in the middle of an important project (video of granddaughter "helping" to build a doghouse).  I had a good reason though (see my post on rendering to prevent a crash).

Premiere Pro CC 2018 immediately showed a problem.  I loaded my video-in-progress and PP2018 noted that it had to be converted.  I said OK and all seemed to be well.  Remembering problems with crashes, I immediately saved the converted video project.  Now, my practice in such cases is typically to do a "Save As" just to be sure of where the files will be saved.  Of course, there was a duplicate file name and I said to replace it.  PP2018 immediately crashed, errors generated, file sent to Adobe, etc.  Rebooted and tried to open the Save As file but all my clips had been combined into one.  Tried again but, of course, same problem.  Made a new project, loaded one movie clip, saved (OK), did a Save As, screen went blank but no crash.  PP2018 screen stayed blank.

By now, I've uninstalled PP2018, reinstalled and repeated the various "tests" all to the same problem.  As far as I'm concerned, you can't do a Save As in PP2018 but a simple Save is OK.

Wish I had waited to update.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

fredjeang2

Re: Premiere Pro CC 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:39:01 am »

Gordon,
I had heard rumors over the latest years of people
With exactly the same problem as yours and gave a quick look
To see if those were justified or not.
It does not take too long to find gazilion users, in english, spanish and french all over the world with similar issues.
More worrying is the fact that I found many complains
From professional houses in Spain, normaly quite knowledgeable at dealing with any tech issues, who were not able to find any satisfying solution, not even from Adobe itself.
The list of crashes and complains does not just concern your
Particular issue but seems to be a more profund implementation of software engineering and to the point that PP is starting to get this dark reputation of being unreliable for pro works were cash and deadlines can not tolerate such fancy behaviours.
This is serious.
Fortunatly there are good and better alternatives availables on today's market and the learning curve from a NLE to another ain't that hard.
Don't be stucked with something that does not work as it should.
Best luck.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:57:40 am »

I associated the "Save As" crash with Premiere Pro 2018 update but apparently others had a similar problem with older versions.

With a bit of trial and error, I've developed a work around.  The key is to immediately do a normal "Save" with (in my case) the converted file.  After a normal "Save", the "Save As" seems to work as it should.

So I'm back in business.  Hope there are no more surprises.
Gordon

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:20 am »

”the converted file"?
Did the NLE forced a project file convertion
For being upgraded? That is a complete nonsense.
It seems that with this cloud implementation,
Adobe takes users as beta testers too often.

I understand that when you build a workflow ecosystem
You do not want to switch and relearn a new one.
But, as Coot said in another thread, the imagery industry
Being so bizarre, I guess the golden rule would be: stick to the hassle free, even if outdated, and do not get married with any brand. This is probably why people still use FCP pre X and Red one.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:35:12 pm »

Premiere Pro 2018 forced a conversion to a new project file but also kept the original project file.  Good thing too because I've had to use that old project file many times while developing a workaround.
Gordon

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »

the imagery industry
Being so bizarre, I guess the golden rule would be: stick to the hassle free, even if outdated, and do not get married with any brand. This is probably why people still use FCP pre X and Red one.

Last night, I did a quick test with fcpX.  Not in love with the program but do understand it pretty well.

Rather than go to a desktop, I took one of my late 2011 17” mbp and loaded the RED raws, set the ingest on proxy and started cutting.  Now this was a small video about 48 seconds in length 6 or 7 cuts.  X shows more noise than resolve so I dropped a noise reduction filter into the clips.   I cut it in about 20/30 minutes with a few cross dissolves and let the software do the auto grading.  Had to make some slight changes to the color but honestly it looked good and was fast.  Even on an older p MBP with just a fraction over 1 gig of vram., went to compressor in full res 4k which took about 40 minutes to output.

Now for real world I would have used a desktop, but was honestly fascinated that it would work with 4k Raw on this machine, with very little slowdown in cutting, good color, slip edits were easy and no crash.

imo

BC

HywelPhillips

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18:18 am »

I'm still impressed with FCP-X. Especially for RED workflow- as long as you've created the sidecar files by looking at the footage in RED CINE-X before you import into FCP-X, you retain the ability to grade the footage in RED CINE-X and have the changes picked up live in FCP-X.

You can also make proxies automatically when you import, and they get carried around in the library file. So if you make one library for each film, you can just copy that to your laptop, edit using the proxies, copy the library back afterwards or even just mount the disk with the original footage remotely it'll pick up all the original footage automatically. We use this workflow a lot.

I'm not sure how well it would work in a large collaborative environment, but for us as a two-person production house, it works really well.

The combo of FCP-X's built in tools, RED CINE-X for one-lights, and a couple of plug-ins (FilmConvert and Magic Bullet) means that I no longer find myself even needing to go to Resolve for most projects.

Cheers, Hywel

fredjeang2

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »

In Lihtworks also there is a sort of bridge with RedcineX
And the manips applied at a raw level are also reflected
In the timeline.
I think I have a video tuto I did somewhere in a drive
That shows exactly that.
It's quite amazing when you think about it and
I don't know if you saw the same in FCPx but using
RCX as a sort of raw dev (and why not color grading after all) is way less power demanding than with Resolve.
I can have both LW and RCX open at the same time
Using RCX as a slave to trick the R3D source and no freeze.
Set generaly to 1/8 for smooth editing.
If only there was a tracker...

Ps: I love the way Red implemented the all package
Like in still imagery. Clever.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:45:40 pm by fredjeang2 »

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »

I've given up on Premiere Pro CC 2018.  Today I was attempting to make a short video from an old 8mm movie that I'd had digitized.  PP2018 kept crashing.  All would be well and then suddenly the Timeline would freeze.  Now, I'm no expert or even particularly good with Premiere Pro but I use it only in very simple ways.  After rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, Googling to no avail, I finally uninstalled PP2018 and reinstalled the 2017 version.  The approach I was using in the 2018 version worked fine in the older version.

Adobe suggested that I look in their Discussion Forums for help.  I did, didn't find others with my problems but did notice many complaints.

I'll stay with PP2017 for quite a while.  As I said, I really use it very simply 

Oh, anyone notice that PP2018 dropped Dolby support?  Not that I use it but you'll have to change to Windows 10 to get Dolby support.
Gordon

fredjeang2

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 04:50:28 am »

I've given up on Premiere Pro CC 2018.  Today I was attempting to make a short video from an old 8mm movie that I'd had digitized.  PP2018 kept crashing.  All would be well and then suddenly the Timeline would freeze.  Now, I'm no expert or even particularly good with Premiere Pro but I use it only in very simple ways.  After rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, Googling to no avail, I finally uninstalled PP2018 and reinstalled the 2017 version.  The approach I was using in the 2018 version worked fine in the older version.

Adobe suggested that I look in their Discussion Forums for help.  I did, didn't find others with my problems but did notice many complaints.

I'll stay with PP2017 for quite a while.  As I said, I really use it very simply 

Oh, anyone notice that PP2018 dropped Dolby support?  Not that I use it but you'll have to change to Windows 10 to get Dolby support.
There is a completly free version of Avid Media Composer called "first". Check it out in Avid.
It is a clone of the full featured with some limitations such as number of video/audio tracks disponible
And simplified color tools and limited delivery to FHD.
However, the system is way more stable than PP and for
Asset management plays in another ligue.
For some people, this version is all they'd ever need, but it allows
To get familiar to the Avid ecosystem and later on get the full spec' if required.
The advantage over PP is that you work with an industry standard.
And avoid the extremly expensive CC suscription model on long term.
Unlike Resolve, it is not ressources demanding and can run on any computer.
You also get DNx codecs workflow.
It might or not suit your needs but worth a look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up