Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pointer's Gamut and SOCS  (Read 1952 times)

Lundberg02

The Pointer's Gamut and SOCS
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:15 am »

I have an iPad Pro with a P3 display color space, so I wanted to see how it compared to Adobe1998 and Pointer's Gamut. It turned out to be fairly difficult to find, and confusing, as usual.  I discovered that Standard Object Color Spectra (SOCS) has replaced Poiinter's, which was established 37 years ago, because new dyes etc have been developed since. In one of the plots I saw SOCS appeared to be slightly smaller than Pointer's. I was able to see that P3 is adequate to cover SOCS and is a little bigger than 1998.  This may help  as search term
Pointer_MacAdam_Wide-Gamut_Displays_v2
I can't find the reference that showed SOCS to be slightly smaller than Pointer at 50% luminosity, but I saved the search page and will try again.
This probably isn't too exciting, but it led to some interesting reading and the possibilities of six primary displays.

Doug Gray

Re: The Pointer's Gamut and SOCS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:51:53 pm »

Ntw the SOCS but here's a CGATS file of the data from:

https://www.uef.fi/en/web/spectral/natural-colors

Lundberg02

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:01:05 am »

The links at that site don't work, and I don't have any use of a CGATS file at he present tme, but thanks anyway.  Curious why they just didn't show there results in context.

Doug Gray

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:15:33 am »

The links at that site don't work, and I don't have any use of a CGATS file at he present tme, but thanks anyway.  Curious why they just didn't show there results in context.

What did you have in mind by "in context?" It's a spectral reflectance database so it's completely defined and can be used to with any illuminant.

There are a lot of different spectral databases like Munsell colors at that link in various formats. I have no problem downloading. Might be some sort of regional restriction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up