Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D850 - Auto Focus Live View  (Read 186901 times)

petercorb

Nikon D850 - Auto Focus Live View
« on: October 14, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

I have been using the D850 for just over a week and my initial impressions are that the sensor is a significant improvement on the D810. I am a landscape photographer with a photographic gallery; I print and sell my own work here in Cape Town, South Africa www.petercorbett.com.

One of the features that initially excited me was the new screen and the ability to navigate the focus point around the whole scene in live view, silent shooting, lock focus and shoot. However my experience is that using this method of shooting is know where near 100% accurate. I have used silent shooting and normal shooting using a remote trigger, the normal shutter release, and the AF-On buttons, with the AF Area on Wide, Normal and Pinpoint and the results are the same i. e "hit and miss" focus.

The Nikon User Manual (page 38 ) gives a long list of reasons why the camera will not achieve focus while the "green" focus point shows focus ??

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or must I just rely on manual focus in live view, which I might add is a pleasure to use given the new screen resolution and definition.

This is a shot I took last evening using manual focus live view Nikon 14-24mm at 16mm f8 at 20 secs - Nikon D850

Miles

Re: Nikon D850 - Auto Focus Live View
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:18:13 am »

I only have limited experience so far Peter, but I did some initial limited testing to satisfy my curiosity regarding using live view to take pictures with the D850.  On static images the results were extremely sharp with multiple lenses.  At the longer focal lengths, live view was usually better, although pixel peeping was required to see the difference.  I have not done much testing by moving the focal point around in the image, but will certainly give a close look at this in the future.  I'll monitor this thread to see what others think.

My previous camera was the D800.  I would agree that the sensor is a significant improvement from that as well.

Your image is beautiful, as well as South Africa.  I'm sure you'll recognize this tourist look out point on Table Top mountain.

Miles

petercorb

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:35 pm »

Thank you for your reply, I presume you are South African and know Cape Town?

I have had no answers yet from anyone on this issue including Nikon.

Will keep trying and revert when I get some answers.

Miles

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:31:02 am »

No, I am from the USA but took the opportunity to visit South Africa for two weeks with my daughter a few years ago.  Cape Town was one of the areas we chose to visit along with Kruger National Park and other special areas.  Viewing the South African penguin and their vocalization was quite quite a treat for both of us along with the vast array of animals in/near Kruger.  South Africa is truly a beautiful, diverse land and is well presented on your website.

Miles

petercorb

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:52:54 pm »

I couldn't get an answer from anywhere. I took the camera back to the dealer and got a new one. Just got back from a shoot and all seems well now. Did some comprehensive testing with screen focusing and the focus shift feature, works like a charm!

Miles

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:01:59 am »

I'm glad your problem is solved.  Evidently that particular camera had an issue and that may be why no one else chimed in.   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up