Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no colour checker?  (Read 8798 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Why no colour checker?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »

Hi,

Just shooting a WB target may help a lot with different lenses. You can get far just shoot a daylight WB for each lens.

You can use Lumariver Profile Designer to generate colour profiles. It is a bit more tricky with Capture One than with developers following the DNG/DCP route, but the C1 processing path is supported.

Best regards
Erik

I was thinking about this sentence for a few days now.

My biggest issue with the general and standard profile for my camera (a7RII) is, that I'm using different lenses on it. These lenses are from different companies (Voigtländer, Zeiss Loxia, Sony, Leica, Contax) and have a very different character (color, contrast, dynamic range, darks, whites, transitions, ...). If you use them on the same job you can get nuts when it comes to processing them with just the default profiles. For me it's much better to create mediocre profiles for each lens and have a starting point on all lenses that is equally than using an elaborated profile where I don't know anything about (not even the name "Kay"): Was it made for linear use? Which lens? What target? Any wide gammut compression? Some colors ranges changed systematically?

Is there a way to get more information about this? I just want to note I have only the Pro and not the CH version.
Erik Kaffehr

sebbe

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:32 pm »

Thank you Erik.

I use Lumariver and did DCamProf before. I'm just wondering why people point on perfect light and setup but never talk about the lens that is in use. This week I had a Sony 85/1.4 GM, Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8, Leitz Wetzlar Summicron 50/2 and a Voigtländer 40/1.2 in my hand. All with the same body. If you process pictures of them for a single job with just one general profile you need many tries to get them into the same look.

I may only know the name "Kay" if it comes to accuracy on my profiles (for each lens one, for wideangle lenses I'll take one that comes close). But at least they give me the same starting point. Non of the default profiles of C1 do that. Therefore it's just unimportant how well Phase One do their default profiles. They are not usefull (for my purpose).

Hi,

Just shooting a WB target may help a lot with different lenses. You can get far just shoot a daylight WB for each lens.

You can use Lumariver Profile Designer to generate colour profiles. It is a bit more tricky with Capture One than with developers following the DNG/DCP route, but the C1 processing path is supported.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 09:43:40 pm »

Hi,

I would have guessed that WB would take care of lens differences, but you always learn something new.

Best regards
Erik

Thank you Erik.

I use Lumariver and did DCamProf before. I'm just wondering why people point on perfect light and setup but never talk about the lens that is in use. This week I had a Sony 85/1.4 GM, Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8, Leitz Wetzlar Summicron 50/2 and a Voigtländer 40/1.2 in my hand. All with the same body. If you process pictures of them for a single job with just one general profile you need many tries to get them into the same look.

Erik Kaffehr

sebbe

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:47 am »

Normally it does. But it really depends with what you're shooting. I don't think it's an issue if you just use the native glass of a camera brand. Therefore most will be happy with just one profile.
I'm on the way to my holidays. Maybe I have time to create a few comparison shots after I'm back. It's always better to explain with samples than complain with words. :)

Hi,

I would have guessed that WB would take care of lens differences, but you always learn something new.

Best regards
Erik

Valdo

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:54 am »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up