Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon download location for DPP 2.2?  (Read 5300 times)

AdrianW

Canon download location for DPP 2.2?
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:04:57 pm »

Does anyone have a Canon download link for DPP 2.2?

Had a look on the various Canon sites, and the most recent I can find is 2.1.1R2, which would be fine, except it doesn't open 400d CR2's ;)

Incidentally 400d's are shipping in the UK now - hence the request, as I shot some samples in store today...

First impressions: AF much better than 350D/10D, slightly faster in use than the 350D too. Build quality of that sample felt better than the 350D, but not as solid as the 10D.

Image quality - who knows, as I can't open the files they kindly let me shoot!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:20:57 pm by AdrianW »

AdrianW

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:58:22 am »

Right, well, I still haven't found a Canon download location for 2.2 - but I have found something that can open the files.
Silkypix
Note: The current version will run under WindowsVista, but only if you right click RunAsAdministrator on first use.

As for image quality. Hard to say, since I'm not really familiar with the way Silkypix processes files - and bananas for oranges comparisons aren't good ;)

Initially however I'd say noise is well controlled in longer exposures - 30s was clean @ ISO100.

ISO1600 looks marginally noisier than the 350D though - but that's not unsurprising bearing in mind the increased pixel count. It cleans up well with NoiseReduction software though.

The images feel fractionally less detailed at 100% than the 350D, but that may just be my imagination or Silkypix ;)

Lamantine

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 04:18:50 am »

Does anyone have a Canon download link for DPP 2.2?

Had a look on the various Canon sites, and the most recent I can find is 2.1.1R2, which would be fine, except it doesn't open 400d CR2's

Incidentally 400d's are shipping in the UK now - hence the request, as I shot some samples in store today...

First impressions: AF much better than 350D/10D, slightly faster in use than the 350D too. Build quality of that sample felt better than the 350D, but not as solid as the 10D.

Image quality - who knows, as I can't open the files they kindly let me shoot!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got the latest version of DPP bundled with the camera. The only problem is that the RAW processing parameters must be off quite a bit, because the images are quite jagged and show more noise than is acceptable. I've opened these files in other CR2 compatible programs and have not seen these artifacts on them. This leads me to the conclusion that the DPP must have something very wrong in its CR2 processing code.

I remember seeing a review somewhere on the net that had issued the same problem, but has anyone else had these issues with DPP. I'm using a 20" iMAC 2.0Ghz G5 & Double 2.3Ghz G5 MAC.

As for the camera, I'm happy & fully content with its performance.

-Lamantine
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:25:12 am by Lamantine »

AdrianW

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:55:21 pm »

Lamantine, I'll keep you updated - I've just downloaded the Windows version of 2.2 now from the Canon website, which reports as 2.2.0.1. I'll let you know if I find any image anomalies.

Not sure what the downloadable Mac version is - it says 2.2.0, but the Windows version says 2.2. Whatever the version, it's available under Drivers/Software here:
20d download link

P.S. In case anyone was curious as to why I didn't have the CD, I was testing a store demo unit - whilst they were more than happy for me to shoot in store with my card, they didn't seem keen on having me wander off with their software - how odd ;)

pcg

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:40:14 pm »

The Canon software bundled with the 400D is designed for RAW CR2 files. It's clunky & slow (really slow), but acceptable as a working half-measure until the new LR Beta 4 is issued. Would I pay $299 for a slick version of LR that reads the CR2 files to avoid the Canon software--Yes.

AdrianW

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 08:34:04 pm »

Would I pay $299 ... to avoid the Canon software--Yes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Conversely I actually quite like DPP, the editing process is fairly quick and painless, and it gets results. I just save the recipes to the images, and then let it process the images whilst I'm grabbing a bite to eat or asleep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up