Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Girl killed while posing at the Seven Sisters clifftop  (Read 15008 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Girl killed while posing at the Seven Sisters clifftop
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:32:32 am »

South Korean student jumps up and down on the edge of the cliff at Seven Sisters clifftop and falls 200 ft to her death.

Hyewon Kim, 23, had seconds earlier asked a passer-by to take her picture at the beauty spot in East Sussex – and then jumped up and down in “enjoyment” while focused on the camera.

There were six photos of her close to the cliffs. They were showing her jumping in the air extremely close to the edge. “Her concentration is not on anything other than what she is doing. The expression on her face shows nothing but enjoyment."

The delegated photographer must have concentrated also too much on picture taking, instead of warning her how close she was to the cliff edge. Most likely, this won't be the last occurence of such a tragedy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/student-fell-death-seven-sisters-jumping-for-photo-hyewon-kim-east-sussex-a7997996.html

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Girl killed while posing at the Seven Sisters clifftop
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:59 am »

Very sad.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:12:50 am »

"Councillors in nearby Seaford town weeks later discussed having warning signs for visitors at Seven Sisters translated into languages other than English at the spot popular with tourists."

Are we truly at the point where we actually have to warn people about the risks of falling off of cliffs?

It is sad that this lady died, but she was 100% in control of the situation. Choices have consequences.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:46 am »

"Councillors in nearby Seaford town weeks later discussed having warning signs for visitors at Seven Sisters translated into languages other than English at the spot popular with tourists."

Are we truly at the point where we actually have to warn people about the risks of falling off of cliffs?

It is sad that this lady died, but she was 100% in control of the situation. Choices have consequences.

+1

A tragic accident for those involved, but a case of natural selection (assuming the course of events was reported accurately).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:37 am »

+1

A tragic accident for those involved, but a case of natural selection (assuming the course of events was reported accurately).

Cheers,
Bart

A little bit insensitive no? Would you feel the same way if it was someone you knew, a relative maybe?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:53:53 am »

A little bit insensitive no? Would you feel the same way if it was someone you knew, a relative maybe?

As I said, a tragic event.

And there are many, even more, tragic events near and far. I assisted this weekend with a condolence register for a young 25-year-old woman taking a bicycle ride on September 29th who was murdered for no reason by a stranger, and got dumped in a forest and was only found 4 days ago. One can only begin to understand the desperation of her next of kin during that ordeal.

But the stupidity of some people asking for trouble seems to have no limits, and I have a bit less empathy for those. Excuse me for being honest.

Cheers,
Bart

David S

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:51:33 am »

And there are many, even more, tragic events near and far. I assisted this weekend with a condolence register for a young 25-year-old woman taking a bicycle ride on September 29th who was murdered for no reason by a stranger, and got dumped in a forest and was only found 4 days ago. One can only begin to understand the desperation of her next of kin during that ordeal.

But the stupidity of some people asking for trouble seems to have no limits, and I have a bit less empathy for those. Excuse me for being honest.

Cheers,
Bart

+1

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 01:36:31 pm »

My thoughts exactly. See also here.

Jeremy

hogloff

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

So I take it you never done something stupid, something that could have killed you or possibly others. But luck was on your side. We’ve all been there, it’s the unlucky ones that don’t make it back.

I live in an area that has many remote regions that take away many people each year. Skiers who ski out of bounds and end up lost and frozen, cliff jumpers that don’t surface, hikers that never return, backcountry skiers that are hurried in avalanches. Are all these tragedies just a case of natural selection?

In fact the people that climb Everest and never make it down just reducing the weakness in the gene pool?

I’m sure the parents of that student which fell to her death grieve with as much sorrow as other parents that lose their child. Most accidental deaths are preventable, but that does not make them less tragic.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:00:00 pm »

I’m sure the parents of that student which fell to her death grieve with as much sorrow as other parents that lose their child. Most accidental deaths are preventable, but that does not make them less tragic.

Cheers,
Bart

hogloff

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

I also heard the remark of it being a case of natural selection which given the circumstances of the event, rather an insensitive comment.

sierraman

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »

I also heard the remark of it being a case of natural selection which given the circumstances of the event, rather an insensitive comment.

Let it go man!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »

So I take it you never done something stupid, something that could have killed you or possibly others. But luck was on your side. We’ve all been there, it’s the unlucky ones that don’t make it back.

I live in an area that has many remote regions that take away many people each year. Skiers who ski out of bounds and end up lost and frozen, cliff jumpers that don’t surface, hikers that never return, backcountry skiers that are hurried in avalanches. Are all these tragedies just a case of natural selection?

In fact the people that climb Everest and never make it down just reducing the weakness in the gene pool?

Since you decided to belabor the point...

This case, as reported, has nothing to do with luck, but everything to do with incredibly shortsighted, irresponsible, and yes, stupid move. It isn't even about taking a risk. Risk, in my mind, implies a prior calculation of possible outcomes and selection of those that offer a reasonable chance of success. If those calculated outcomes include possible death, in some cases it is worth taking the risk if the cause is worth it - that's what heroes do.

In this case, the lofty cause (a selfie!) was definitely not worth the risk. Any reasonable insight into possible outcomes of jumping at the very edge of a cliff would suggest that the move is incredibly stupid. I can't even believe that we are discussing it.

It wasn't an accident either. Accident is when something unexpected happens. Your examples include various degrees of risk. Climbing the Everest is not a good example of "cleaning the gene pool," as it usually involves months of preparation and training. It is a calculated risk. But climbing the Everest in a t-shirt is. Such is jumping at the edge of a cliff.

There are numerous deaths in national parks, in spite of signs like those attached below, clearly indicating that DEATH is a very likely outcome. And yet, people disregard them... and die. That is just stupid. And yes, tragic for the family anyway. But we are not discussing this in front of the family, which would be indeed insensitive.

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 06:41:04 pm »

If you were speaking to one of her friends or relatives, or if they were readers here, then it would be insensitive.  As a abstract discussion, it's just a point of view (and reasonably founded).

Yes, I'm sure everyone here has done some stupid things but, apparently, have all survived (unless there's something we don't know...).  Luck, preparation, circumstance - whatever it might be.  Had we not, and had we been doing something as stupid as jumping on the edge of a cliff, someone would probably have made a similar comment.

Would it be insensitive if someone had been doing 150mph in a car, lost control, and died and someone said they were stupid?
Phil Brown

hogloff

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »

Since you decided to belabor the point...

This case, as reported, has nothing to do with luck, but everything to do with incredibly shortsighted, irresponsible, and yes, stupid move. It isn't even about taking a risk. Risk, in my mind, implies a prior calculation of possible outcomes and selection of those that offer a reasonable chance of success. If those calculated outcomes include possible death, in some cases it is worth taking the risk if the cause is worth it - that's what heroes do.

In this case, the lofty cause (a selfie!) was definitely not worth the risk. Any reasonable insight into possible outcomes of jumping at the very edge of a cliff would suggest that the move is incredibly stupid. I can't even believe that we are discussing it.

It wasn't an accident either. Accident is when something unexpected happens. Your examples include various degrees of risk. Climbing the Everest is not a good example of "cleaning the gene pool," as it usually involves months of preparation and training. It is a calculated risk. But climbing the Everest in a t-shirt is. Such is jumping at the edge of a cliff.

There are numerous deaths in national parks, in spite of signs like those attached below, clearly indicating that DEATH is a very likely outcome. And yet, people disregard them... and die. That is just stupid. And yes, tragic for the family anyway. But we are not discussing this in front of the family, which would be indeed insensitive.

It really doesn't matter if the family is present or not, calling this unfortunate event an act of "natural selection" is extremely insensitive and uncalled for. And yes there are warning signs everywhere for out of bounds skiing, jumping off cliffs into deep pools etc. And there are warning messages put out about back country skiing conditions...yet many people die doing these acts. In fact I'm pretty sure there are many warning regarding climbing Everest. Should we regard all these deaths as just the "natural selection" in motion?

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:53 pm »

Frankly, I am amazed that any of us live to the age of 30. The amount of stupidity that even the most summa cum laude types of young people have is considerable. I hike a fair bit, and am around high (usually wooded) bluffs. I am very careful and check footing, because every once in a (great) while, a safe lookout develops a crack - this is limestone.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 10:10:48 am »

In Iceland this summer a tourist fell overboard while trying to take a selfie on a whale-watching trip. After being rescued she expressed her great disappointment at the loss of her brand new Samsung phone.

In Chennai, India, a guy almost burnt to death while taking a selfie in front of a burning bakery. He later said he wanted to get Likes on Facebook.

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 06:52:22 pm »

not to be TOO tasteless, but there should be a special "selfies" section for the Darwin awards.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »

not to be TOO tasteless, but there should be a special "selfies" section for the Darwin awards.
+1!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 06:20:17 am »

He later said he wanted to get Likes on Facebook.

That is pathetic on so many levels.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up