Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Pools sunset, Isle of Skye  (Read 2239 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Fairy Pools sunset, Isle of Skye
« on: October 12, 2017, 03:14:44 am »

Sunset at the Fairy Pools, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, taken during one of my 2017 Workshops on the Isle.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Fairy Pools sunset, Isle of Skye
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:16:11 am »

Excellent. A small nit: I would prefer it if without the rocky intrusion on the left. Not possible perhaps.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:56 am »

Another excellent image.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:23 am »

Just another one of your usual stunners Vieri!! Gorgeous but I do agree withPaulo on the little outcropping. Again, another great shot!!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

thierrylegros396

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:35:44 am »

Did you do another one with a shorter exposure?

I'm curious to see if a less smoothed river fall would not fit better the sharp and grainy rocks.

Thierry

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:35 pm »

Hi Vieri, I think Thierri has a point, though I suspect the light wouldn't allow a small enough aperture to keep the necessary DOF.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:50:16 pm »

Very nice image! I wouldn't mind seeing a shorter exposure either but if all we have is this then it's a fine shot. :)
-MattB

jim henderson

• Jim Henderson Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »

Thank you for your photograph.  I hope you enjoyed making it.  I am from the North West of Scotland and visit Skye often to take photographs. Well off the beaten track.  Have done so for last 35 years.  Its an amazing place to make photographs as is my home in Wester Ross.  My only observation is that over the last 5/6 years when I am out and about taking photos I see lots of photographers all in the same place all trying to capture an image from a book or a web site from a year or years ago.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.  What is worrying is the overload of photo tours in environmentally delicate places.  Some places in Skye and Wester Ross may cope, others places will not in this delicate environmental environment.  The invasion of busses full of photographer (with the best interests) -  and invasion is a good word here with folk elbowing each other out of the way for "that" shot seems to me crazy.  Same attitude as the person wanting those trophy antlers above the fireplace.
Skye and Wester Ross are amazing places to take photographs and realise a moment.  Look around please takes ten steps to the left or right. Just step away. Really.  Think of what it was like to shoot Velvia 50 all those years ago.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 06:58:06 am »

Excellent. A small nit: I would prefer it if without the rocky intrusion on the left. Not possible perhaps.

Thank you very much Paulo! About the rock on the left, you'd need waders to get rid of that rock, and sadly I hadn't them with me on Skye during the Workshop last year... next year I'll definitely bring them though! :)

Another excellent image.

Thank you very much indeed! :)

Just another one of your usual stunners Vieri!! Gorgeous but I do agree withPaulo on the little outcropping. Again, another great shot!!

Kevin in CT

Thank you very much Kevin, glad you enjoyed it! :) About the rock, see above... ;)

Did you do another one with a shorter exposure?

I'm curious to see if a less smoothed river fall would not fit better the sharp and grainy rocks.

Thierry

Hi Vieri, I think Thierri has a point, though I suspect the light wouldn't allow a small enough aperture to keep the necessary DOF.

Very nice image! I wouldn't mind seeing a shorter exposure either but if all we have is this then it's a fine shot. :)

Thank you very much guys, glad you enjoyed it! :) About the water, I certainly appreciate the different "schools of thought" about water movement and I am not going to re-start the eternal debate here about the pros and cons of either, of course: personally, I always prefer a bit smoother / silkier than most, I guess, but it certainly differs from scene to scene and photo to photo. In this case however, since this is the way I have "seen" the scene in my head before making the image, I didn't take a shorter exposure, sorry about that :)

Thank you for your photograph.  I hope you enjoyed making it.  I am from the North West of Scotland and visit Skye often to take photographs. Well off the beaten track.  Have done so for last 35 years.  Its an amazing place to make photographs as is my home in Wester Ross.  My only observation is that over the last 5/6 years when I am out and about taking photos I see lots of photographers all in the same place all trying to capture an image from a book or a web site from a year or years ago.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.  What is worrying is the overload of photo tours in environmentally delicate places.  Some places in Skye and Wester Ross may cope, others places will not in this delicate environmental environment.  The invasion of busses full of photographer (with the best interests) -  and invasion is a good word here with folk elbowing each other out of the way for "that" shot seems to me crazy.  Same attitude as the person wanting those trophy antlers above the fireplace.
Skye and Wester Ross are amazing places to take photographs and realise a moment.  Look around please takes ten steps to the left or right. Just step away. Really.  Think of what it was like to shoot Velvia 50 all those years ago.

Hello Jim,

thank you for your message and for expressing your concerns, much appreciated.

About environmental impact, personally I lead Workshops with either a maximum of just THREE participants, or Workshops One-on-One. I believe this is what works best both for me, for my participants, and to keep our impact on the environment to a minimum as well. Of course, I follow the "leave no trace" principles as well. About larger group sizes, I respect everyone's idea of teaching, of course, and I think there is room for all teaching philosophies; this is just the way I do things, what I think is best.

About the choice of locations, during my Workshops I try to always include a couple of "off the beaten track" locations and (on more famous locations) I try to show such most famous locations differently than what you'll find in books or the like; as well, I always try and stimulate participants to find their own compositions, trust their instincts and experiment with their ideas, offering guidance directed to help them to develop their vision rather than imposing mine on them. While I understand where you are coming from, and while I certainly appreciate how after so many years working on a location you'd think that way, I am sure you'll also see how someone who has never been to Skye would want to see the Old Man of Storr, the Fairy Pools and so on, and I'm sure you'll also see that if I'd offer a tour with NO famous locations at all I'd either be targeting people who already have seen all the most famous landmarks on Skye (and who probably wouldn't need a tour in the first place!) or, more likely, I'd be out of business pretty fast :D

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up