Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Hasselblad and 30mm lens?  (Read 5828 times)

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
Digital Hasselblad and 30mm lens?
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:54:51 am »

Hi, I'm using a V-system (503cw and flexbody), mainly tabletop and reproduction work, with a P25 int he studio.
sooner or later I would maybe buy a wider lens, the 40mm is fine, I could stitch my very rare Interiors shot with the flexbody, butr probably a PITA...

Are there other solutions, do H-Series (35mm) lenses fit on my bodies (like their V-H adaptor, but otherway round...) Probably not. Of course i could use my old Sinar view camera, I have the adaptor too, but rarely use it)

Then there's the rare fisheye 30mm for the Hassy. Anybody tried it with a DB? Can programms like DxOptics correct heavy fisheye distortions? Does this make sens or does the image quality suffer that much.

tom-

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:38:39 am »

Tom, I use a Hasselblad 30mm with a Phase One P25 back and it works fine as a fisheye, and in emergencies you can indeed straighten out the image and use the lens as an ultra-wide rectilinear.

The image circle of the P25 is about 61mm so it effectively edits out the very lowest quality from the corners of the 30mm, if you're reproducing the straightened out shot in a brochure at A5 or smaller it's fine. At A4 in my opinion it's at the limits, and at anything above A4 the lack of resolution with a straightened out shot starts to show.

I disagree that it's a particularly rare lens, I've got an old C series 30mm, so they've been around for years. And Hasselblad always did a good job of marketing and promoting the 30mm, which means you'll see them turn up on Ebay every few weeks.

Regarding other wide angle options with a P25 and the V series, you've two main choices. I regularly use a 38mm 903 SWC for interiors and it works beautifully with the P25, minimal colour casts which are easily removed with the Capture One software, superb close range as well as infinity performance, virtually zero distortion, and sharpness which is still breathtaking for a 50 year old lens design.

The other V series wide-angle option if you're chasing high quality with digital is the relatively new and wallet-busting 40mm IF CFE. I was never very impressed with the previous Zeiss 40mm lenses, but the 40mm IF is outstanding, which at the price it should be!

It's every bit as sharp as the 903, maybe even sharper. The only problem, besides the price, is the distortion. Over the years I've used pretty much every lens in the Hassselblad line-up and without a doubt this has the worst distortion.  However, it's possibly the sharpest retrofocus, medium-format, extreme wide-angle lens there is. It works on my 203FE as well as 500 series cameras, and it gives a reasonable range of movements on my Flexbody, so for some photographers it's a realistic choice.

Lester

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:27:56 pm »

I been a Hass user for film, but I did get a Mamiya for my P25, I do have the 30 mm Hass lens. I used it and my Lens is very sharp, I got it some 20+ years ago when it was first sold. With a adapter, I used it on my Mamiya with the P25 now with the P45. I used PT Lens to correct the fisheye and it just works fine. And it is wide.

Hi, I'm using a V-system (503cw and flexbody), mainly tabletop and reproduction work, with a P25 int he studio.
sooner or later I would maybe buy a wider lens, the 40mm is fine, I could stitch my very rare Interiors shot with the flexbody, butr probably a PITA...

Are there other solutions, do H-Series (35mm) lenses fit on my bodies (like their V-H adaptor, but otherway round...) Probably not. Of course i could use my old Sinar view camera, I have the adaptor too, but rarely use it)

Then there's the rare fisheye 30mm for the Hassy. Anybody tried it with a DB? Can programms like DxOptics correct heavy fisheye distortions? Does this make sens or does the image quality suffer that much.

tom-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »

I believe Hasselblad will be releasing a 28 mm lens for the H1/H2.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:21:39 pm »

I believe Hasselblad will be releasing a 28 mm lens for the H1/H2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a russian fisheye around, with Pentacon and Kiev mounts, very cheap, I had it on my Kiev and it was sharp. I don(t know which modern camera it could be mounted on.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:38:16 am »

Tom, I use a Hasselblad 30mm with a Phase One P25 back and it works fine as a fisheye, and in emergencies you can indeed straighten out the image and use the lens as an ultra-wide rectilinear.

The image circle of the P25 is about 61mm so it effectively edits out the very lowest quality from the corners of the 30mm, if you're reproducing the straightened out shot in a brochure at A5 or smaller it's fine. At A4 in my opinion it's at the limits, and at anything above A4 the lack of resolution with a straightened out shot starts to show.

I disagree that it's a particularly rare lens, I've got an old C series 30mm, so they've been around for years. And Hasselblad always did a good job of marketing and promoting the 30mm, which means you'll see them turn up on Ebay every few weeks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks everybody for helping,
I tested the new 40mm which was very good, I hoped a less expensive older 40mm would probably be nearly as good. Hmm, For the few rare interiors shots, the new 40mm is simple too expensive. The 38mm of course sounds really good, but of course you're limited the the SWC body without movements.
If Hasselbad see a future in their V-System and bring recent large sensors in their new designed V back, maybe they also think about mounting their HC 35mm in a V-series classic mount too, I suppose the image circle isn't that smaller. But will they calculate and design a completely new lens...probably not.
I never met someone with the 30mm, so, I thought it would be a rare lens. V lenses prices seem to fall and fall, maybe i pick up one.

tom-
Pages: [1]   Go Up