Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***  (Read 30755 times)

Ray

Re: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2017, 11:28:08 am »

Can we start a 'new' climate change thread that only focuses on research that is being published?  What if you and I write a preface to the thread stating something like that and that any deviation will result in the thread going away?  there is a new report from some of your countrymen (University of Melbourne) predicts a 1.3m rise in sea levels unless coal burning power plants are phased out.

I would be open that, Alan. All my ideas on the subject are based upon what I think and determine makes sense to me, from a rational perspective. I'm always open to alternative ideas and arguments, and will examine them from a logical and rational perspective, to the extent that I understand such rationality and logic.

I'm also always open to a correction to my sense of rationality.
The ad hominem attack merely sends the message that the poster doesn't understand the issues he's writing about, and is projecting his own misunderstanding onto the other person.

Rob C

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2017, 11:57:19 am »

Rob,
Stirring up deeply felt emotions is good, in my opinion. To progress, whether in Photography or any other discipline, we need to examine and contemplate on our deeply felt emotions, in order to avoid errors and to gain insight.

Yes, Ray, but at the cost of blowing otherwise good relationships?

Nothing that goes down in LuLa is going to make the slightest jot of difference to Trump, Boris, or any other egotripping grandee of the political classes.

The world votes according to the latest bribe or lie to come along. As we saw with Brexit.

If you want to continue to discuss climate change, then that's okay by me, but I don't see it as a political thing - I see it as a reality above politics. But politics will succeed in conflating it with the return of jobs lost for ever and a day in industries already moribund if not currently to be found under the latest tombstone. Again, as in Brexit.

Those themes are pointless in this space as no conclusion can follow.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »

I do think, though, that politics and religion are not really suitable subjects for this website. I say this, because despite being fringe matters (regarding LuLa), they also stir up deeply felt emotions, and these can easily spread across into the photographic part of the conversation, creating unspoken, subliminal attitides that really can't do other than colour everything else where opinions are shared. Maybe not such a good idea.

Life has to have a wider gamut that those two terrors!

Rob

God forbid!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2017, 12:54:37 pm »

All serious discussions on major issues that affect us all and possibly the future of our species, that one might expect from a group of intelligent people sitting down for coffee, is now banned, it seems.

Bollocks! - just be civil ))

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »

I would be open that, Alan. All my ideas on the subject are based upon what I think and determine makes sense to me, from a rational perspective. I'm always open to alternative ideas and arguments, and will examine them from a logical and rational perspective, to the extent that I understand such rationality and logic.

I'm also always open to a correction to my sense of rationality.
The ad hominem attack merely sends the message that the poster doesn't understand the issues he's writing about, and is projecting his own misunderstanding onto the other person.
I'll start a thread along with a warning.  Why don't you and I 'moderate' this and insure that 1) the discussion is focused on what the scientific findings are and 2) that it is civil.  If either of these break down, we can notify Chris ASAP to shut things down  (I don't know if one who starts the thread has the power to lock it; I'll need to check).

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »

Bollocks! - just be civil ))
We will see the other post I just made.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »

Can we start a 'new' climate change thread that only focuses on research that is being published?  What if you and I write a preface to the thread stating something like that and that any deviation will result in the thread going away?  there is a new report from some of your countrymen (University of Melbourne) predicts a 1.3m rise in sea levels unless coal burning power plants are phased out.

Sounds like an eminently sensible idea. We will need to have you and probably another moderate the discussion. Are you prepared to do that?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:36 pm »

Sounds like an eminently sensible idea. We will need to have you and probably another moderate the discussion. Are you prepared to do that?
Just started it and Ray and I are up to the task!!!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »

Just started it and Ray and I are up to the task!!!
Cool

Both you and Ray are now given Moderator status within the Coffee Corner

Chris

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »

Cool

Both you and Ray are now given Moderator status within the Coffee Corner

Chris
We will justify your faith in us!

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37:40 pm »

Okay, so is there also a way to filter that thread out of the "recent posts" list?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2017, 01:42:14 pm »

Okay, so is there also a way to filter that thread out of the "recent posts" list?

No, but you can always use the 'Ignore' function for those Members whose posts you do not wish to be bothered by

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »

Actually, there is a way to Ignore whole Boards such as the Coffee Corner. I will post here and on About this Site when I have fgured the settings and use of that.

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »

There is now the ability to modify your user Profile (see Profile in main menu) to ignore selected Boards and Members. So if you don't want to see the Coffee Corner you don't have to!

Simply check the appropriate Ignore Board Options check box under your Profile/Modify.

There is also the ability to ignore defined Members so that you do not 'see' their posts

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2017, 03:10:26 pm »

Chris, why is everybody suddenly a moderator?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »

Alan Goldhammer & Ray volunteered to look after the Coffee Corner - specifically the Climate Change discussion

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2017, 04:07:51 pm »

Okay. Good on 'em.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2017, 11:41:01 am »

Alan Goldhammer & Ray volunteered to look after the Coffee Corner - specifically the Climate Change discussion

anyone they don't like gets silenced and anyone that agrees with them can prattle on?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2017, 11:52:37 am »

anyone they don't like gets silenced and anyone that agrees with them can prattle on?

No, that's Farmer's role ;)

stamper

« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2017, 12:16:26 pm »

Does that mean Alan can moderate Ray's posts and vice versa?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up