Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a lot of green  (Read 1265 times)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
a lot of green
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:32:43 pm »

I'd be happy if you would comment on this one. I showed it around elsewhere and the reaction was, the picture does lack a "real subject" and that there's "no comprehensible meaning". Also it was said the central tree would be better placed somewhere according to the "rule of thirds". The "usual critique" ... I'm not thinking this is a "great piece" or something, but well worth a look as some kind of a study.

Anyway, I cannot really put my finger on it, but I somewhat find the picture interesting for it's structure, different inherent movements and directions and patterns and the differentiated green-tones. Meaning? Subject? Can't really say anything about that myself. Or is this rubbish? You know it can happen you start to see something in your own pictures that just isn't there ...

Thanks!

scotto

Re: a lot of green
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:10 pm »

I experimented with several crops and liked the following. There's a tree trunk on the right that makes a nice reflection. I cropped about halfway between its reflection and the right edge. That same trunk passes through a large clump of bright yellow-green leaves. I cropped a little below those leaves; that's the same level as the top of the lowest branch overhanging the water on the left side. Finally, on the left, I cropped off a sliver, cutting through the middle of the highlight in the lower left corner.

My thinking is that makes the subject the interaction between the reflections and the water's movement. The aspect ratio then matches the subject. And the subject is framed by the surrounding trees, and their sharpness provides a nice contrast to the subject.

Best regards

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »

Thanks scotto, I'll try, just to see how it really looks that way. No time right now, maybe day after tomorrow.
Thanks again!

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:51 pm »

First reaction, I like the tones, peaceful, verdant, tranquil come to mind. I am not sure I like the long exposure, however. At first blush, to me, the leaf "tracks" distract from the overall mood. I will look again after my nap ;)

Alskoj

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:18:48 pm »

I'd be happy if you would comment on this one. I showed it around elsewhere and the reaction was, the picture does lack a "real subject" and that there's "no comprehensible meaning". Also it was said the central tree would be better placed somewhere according to the "rule of thirds". The "usual critique" ... I'm not thinking this is a "great piece" or something, but well worth a look as some kind of a study.

Anyway, I cannot really put my finger on it, but I somewhat find the picture interesting for it's structure, different inherent movements and directions and patterns and the differentiated green-tones. Meaning? Subject? Can't really say anything about that myself. Or is this rubbish? You know it can happen you start to see something in your own pictures that just isn't there ...

Thanks!
What?  I would hang this in my home and my wife and I would both love looking at it.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:19:14 am »

I tried to do it (not sure whether I understood all of it though) and ended up with this:

Beginning Fall (edit) by Stefan Berndt, auf Flickr

This way it gets real wide and thus very different. I like it, basically I don't do such "extreme" aspect ratios normally. Might be something to consider sometimes. Mostly I just stick to 3:2, this one was 16:9 originally, which is uncommon for me, also.

Thanks again!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:26:49 am »

What's it for?

(Question for meditation)

scotto

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »

I tried to do it (not sure whether I understood all of it though) and ended up with this...

Yep, that's the crop I was describing. I don't claim it's the best crop, just one of many.

... This way it gets real wide and thus very different. I like it, basically I don't do such "extreme" aspect ratios normally. Might be something to consider sometimes. Mostly I just stick to 3:2, this one was 16:9 originally, which is uncommon for me, also.

Looking at alternative crops can be good way to explore parts of your image and the different ideas it can convey. Sometimes the subject is better suited to an aspect ratio that's different than camera's frame.

Best regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up