Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metabones and Flare  (Read 2615 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Metabones and Flare
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:16:19 pm »

I have a Metabones Canon-to-Sony adapter with interior flocking, which I have been using with a Sony A7II for over a year without any apparent flare issues not caused by the lenses themselves. Recently I discovered a flare situation with the Canon 24mm ts-eII and this adapter, with a type scene I have encountered many times before (no very bright light sources or any light sources just outside the field of view) and encountered flare that went away when I put the lens on a Canon body for the shot; so the flare was clearly not due to the lens. The flocking inside the Metabones adapter is fine and the Sony body seems to work fine otherwise. Anyone else encounter this sort of thing with this equipment?

Frodo

Re: Metabones and Flare
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:40:02 pm »

I know that some experienced flare with some lenses with a non-Canon EF to EF-M adaptor that did not occur with the original Canon unit.  The conclusion was that the straight tube of the non-Canon unit did not baffle the light as the Canon unit did (which tapered to a narrower orifice).

adriantyler

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »

i have and unflocked version with the sony and the canon tse17, i have a little lastolite that i use as a shade in this kind of situation to remove the flare  8)

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:44:46 am »

Yep, I get the same annoying result.

the_luminous_french

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:36:11 pm »

same here... anyone test the sigma MC-11 ?

Shiftworker

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 04:03:15 am »

The latest version although flocked is not 'all' flocked - there are 2 surfaces at the sides of the rear that are bare to which I added my own self adhesive flocked material. With the TS-E lenses and their large image circle there is a lot more light hitting the inside of the adapter than with a non TSE lens.  I have used all the versions of this adapter and with the earlier versions I made my own flocking with self adhesive flocking material. My main gripe with these adapters is thickness variation and non parallelism of the 2 flanges. I should perhaps try the Sigma when I get an A7r3
Pages: [1]   Go Up