Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Antarctic Winter season  (Read 2474 times)

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
2017 Antarctic Winter season
« on: September 29, 2017, 04:09:27 pm »

Hello,

Here are a few images from my 2017 Winter season on Ross Island Antarctica. Thank you for viewing and I welcome any questions,comments, thoughts or C&C you are willing to take the time to post.

These 4 images were taken early in the season during the month of March, sun starts to set. The Penguin is an Adele and is molting (changing out it's feathers) I am told it is a painful experience and they pretty much stay in place for the duration which takes a few days. The structure behind the penguin is known as Discovery Hut, assembled by Robert F Scott and crew in 1902.

Will post more 4 at a time in this thread.
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
Re: 2017 Antarctic Winter season
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:32:53 pm »

First image here is of open water which doesn't happen every year. The land mass is part of Ross Island and commonly called Hut Ridge as it is home to Discovery hut assembled by Robert F Scott and crew in 1902 and still standing today with many items from their expedition's. Today the Hut is maintained and preserved as living or in place historical museum. The floating ice on the right is an ice pier.

Second is between McMurdo Station and Scott Base. Scott Base is not visible accept for the minor light pollution on the lower right of the image as they are behind the land down by the frozen ocean.

Third image is taken from Hut Ridge and looking back to McMurdo Station. The large hill to the right is known as Observation Hill.

Fourth image is taken on the ice shelf looking toward Ross Island. Scott base is visible lower left and Observation Hill is the peak hill to the left of the wind turbines. The mountains in the distance are part of the Antarctic continent.
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:50:34 pm »

First image here is of the New Zealand Scott Base owned Kassbohrer PB300 track vehicles. We had great Aurora activity that evening.

Second image is Derelict junction a small bus stop like structure. During the summer it is a busy place and there are vans used to transport people to work sites and this is place to get picked up and dropped off at the end of the day. The buildings in the distance are dorms, vehicles are parked at a plug line so block heaters etc allow the vehicle to start in the cold temps of winter.

Third image here is of Super D.A.R.N, my friend and co-worker calls it Tivo for Auroras. The acronym is for Super Dual Auroral Radar Network. It is a large array of wires spread from mast to mast. I was lucky enough to have some aurora activity while shooting the scene.

The fourth one here is of a C-17 delivering some crew and cargo in June. Having flights during the winter season is a semi new thing the past couple winters. They are very welcomed as they bring fresh fruit and veggies along with mail. The airfield is known as Phoenix airfield located on the Ross Ice Shelf.
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:37 pm »

First image is looking at Observation Hill with the Milky Way arching over it. The light pollution is from McMurdo Station. To the left are the Phoenix airfield runway lights and minor aurora activity.

Second image is from Hut Ridge point, used my selfie stick :) So is myself on the right star gazing. At the point in the middle is Vinces Cross, placed by Scott and crew in memory of George T Vince who during a storm lost footing and slid into the sea. The to the left is Discovery Hut above it Phoenix airfield lighting and aurora activity. McMurdo lighting casting out all over coming from the left.

Third image is of building 155 which if you ever come to McMurdo you will know this building. It is home to the galley, small store, few offices and dorm rooms. The sky is full of Nacreous clouds which I find more rare to see here than aurora's. This day the sky was covered and very beautiful.

Fourth image is the same day as the third. I set the camera up and did a time lapse FOV being the ice pier being repaired, Hut Ridge and the Nacreous cloud on show. The pastel cast was intense and quite a view. Time lapse can be viewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNfBmwWIl8 .
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:28:28 pm »

The first three images here are from a Joint Search and Rescue training on sea ice profiling. The vehicles are Hagglund track vehicles. Two Hagglunds owned by the US Antarctic Program named Hansel and Gretel. The third green one is owned by the New Zealand Antarctic Program for Scott Base.

The fourth image is of the September flight of a C-17 in the air approaching the runway, Cat 966G loader with cargo sled.
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:31 pm »

The first two are the same image processed differently. Friend working down here as well asked if I could do an image with his nieces SDSU sweater. The sweater at the base of the cross in memory of George T Vince was Robs idea and I think it worked well.

These last two images I have posted in the C&C section but will add in here as well. Is of the landmark Castle Rock along with a Kassbohrer PB100 track vehicle outfitted for Search and Rescue.

These are all images I took during the 2017 Winter season. Thank you for looking and hope you enjoyed the view's.
Live the Dream!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 08:10:45 pm »

Wow!
These are extraordinary. Having read about the exploits of Ross, Amundsen, Shackleton, and the others, these images really help me imagine that I am there in that dark and forbidding place.

Thanks so much for sharing these.

-Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:44 am »

Wow!
These are extraordinary. Having read about the exploits of Ross, Amundsen, Shackleton, and the others, these images really help me imagine that I am there in that dark and forbidding place.

Not to mention c-c-c-c-cold.

-Eric M.

+1

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 01:38:57 pm »

Those are spectacular sets of images! I particularly love the one of Observation Hill with the Milky Way arching over it.

Jeremy

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »

Yes, these photos are a pleasure to see. Appropriately documentarian in style IMO. Thanks for posting 'em! Love the skyscapes in particular.

-Dave-

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »

Wow!

-Eric M.

Thank you Eric for the the kind words. Great to hear the images help with what you read on the early explorers. Their mark is still here even as the landscape changes with our presence here, though we do try and keep our impact to minimum.

Cheers,

Josh

Not to mention c-c-c-c-cold.

+1

It does get a bit cool down here. This winter was a little warmer than other winters I have done. Though windier days and overcast as well, not a great year for star gazing though we did get our views. Other years we were spoiled with near ability to go out most any time to see the open sky. Every winter is different is my experience anyway.

Those are spectacular sets of images! I particularly love the one of Observation Hill with the Milky Way arching over it.

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy for the compliment and great to hear you very much enjoyed the Milky Way over Observation hill.  I did an image a few years ago with the MW over the hill but no leading lines and I felt it was a bit flat. This year I headed up the road to use it as a leading line along with the other hill side.

Yes, these photos are a pleasure to see. Appropriately documentarian in style IMO. Thanks for posting 'em! Love the skyscapes in particular.

-Dave-

Thank you Dave, is great to hear you enjoyed the set. I did a photo book of the images I took last season and try to have it flow through the season for friends and family to view and even myself for memory lane. I think these images will be in this years photo book in this order. Antarctica is amazing, as harsh as the weather can and does get, it seems to balance that with very beautiful skyscapes.

Thank you all for taking the time to view and comment.

Cheers,
Josh
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:45:30 pm by Jswanson »
Live the Dream!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 04:07:46 am »

Wonderful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up