Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display (Mid 2017) display good enough?  (Read 8177 times)

kuau

Re: Is the Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display (Mid 2017) display good enough?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses.
It turns out that the reason my i7-7700K hackintosh died was my cpu was dead.
I went out and purchased a new cpu same one, popped it in and bang it booted right back up into 10.12.6

So I am back up and running again, very happy camper, I really didn’t want to purchase a new iMac eve though they are a great device, and I for sure didn’t want to spend at least $2000 on a used 2013 Mac Pro.

Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to get around Apple or anything like that. I use an own a lot of Apple products. I just hope at some point they either come out with an updated mini with an quad core i7/i8 with 32GB Ram 2 pcie slots for fast flash storage and a few thunderbolt ports. I have no need for 12 core Xeon based system, I don’t see myself editing 4K,6k,8k video anytime soon.

rdonson

I don’t see myself editing 4K,6k,8k video anytime soon.

I didn't see video editing in my future either.  Then I got a drone with 4K video and now I'm happily editing 4K video on the new iMac.  It's a whole new world.
Regards,
Ron

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer

Don’t get me wrong I am not trying to get around Apple or anything like that.

Actually, you are. As far as I know, Apple's user license still does not permit their software to be used with non-Apple hardware.

kuau

Actually, you are. As far as I know, Apple's user license still does not permit their software to be used with non-Apple hardware.

I know I am and I know it's not right. My first Mac was the original Macintosh back in 1984...
I'm begging apple to take my money once they release a new machine that is designed for creative professionals. 2013 Mac Pro to all accounts was a total flop and the iMac line is still more consumer based device. Why can't they just go back to a tried a trued design, like the original Mac Pro. I guess the reality is Apple is now a Phone company, that's all we ever here about. What ever happened to "Apple Computer"

Oh well for now, I will still buy new iPhone's, Mac Book Pro's and iPad Pro's

David Eichler

...the iMac line is still more consumer based device.

Yes and no. Properly configured, a modern iMac has all the computing power most professionals need.

rdonson

Here's my 27" Retina 2017 iMac configuration.  I'm curious what keeps it from being what professionals need?

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM (up to 64 GB)
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB Video card
512 GB SSD

External redundant array on Thunderbolt
Regards,
Ron

David Eichler

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM (up to 64 GB)
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB Video card
512 GB SSD

That is actually a configuration I am considering. Alternative would be a 21.5" iMac with the i7 processor, 32GB gb of RAM and the same 512gb SSD. With the 27" version I can get a slightly better graphics card and I can buy my own RAM. The 21.5" is a bit less expensive even if buying my own RAM for a 27"  and I don't need a 27" screen since I use a separate monitor for editing. Would the better graphics card make much or any difference for still photography? Also, can get the 27" with a slightly more powerful processor than the 21.5" but performance ratings seem pretty close between them.

Assuming just still photography and maybe some light video, where do you suspect I might see a difference in performance between the two choices? I considered a MacPro for a bit, but it just seems too antiquated at this point.

Main software is Lightroom and Photoshop. Maybe Capture One at some point.

rdonson

Would the better graphics card make much or any difference for still photography? Also, can get the 27" with a slightly more powerful processor than the 21.5" but performance ratings seem pretty close between them.

Assuming just still photography and maybe some light video, where do you suspect I might see a difference in performance between the two choices? I considered a MacPro for a bit, but it just seems too antiquated at this point.

Main software is Lightroom and Photoshop. Maybe Capture One at some point.

The better graphics card will only be a boon in Lr and PS if Adobe gets its act together.  Right now I have disabled the use of the Graphics Processor in Lr.  It was actually slowing things down.  Lr is in need of some serious TLC from Adobe. 

Currently I use iMovie for my video editing but it won't be long and I'll be jumping to Final Cut Pro X.  iMovie is just a gateway drug for video editing  ;D
Regards,
Ron

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com

Currently I use iMovie for my video editing but it won't be long and I'll be jumping to Final Cut Pro X.  iMovie is just a gateway drug for video editing  ;D
Download the free Davinci Resolve from Blackmagic. The color controls put Finalcut to shame. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up