Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendations on a new Ilford paper,PLEASE  (Read 851 times)

pikeys

• My Pics
recommendations on a new Ilford paper,PLEASE
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »

I've been using Ilford Gold Fiber Silk,for about 5 years.
I would like to,one of the newer Ilford papers,?
Anyone have a few suggestions, it will be for color images,and,if possible, has some texture.
I'm printing now,with a Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer,using Dye ink.

Thanks,
Mike

rasworth

Re: recommendations on a new Ilford paper,PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »

I tried Ilford Gold Fiber Gloss on my Pro-100, did not work well, and to Ilford's credit they recommended only pigment printers for this paper.  The problem was the black ink "plated out" on the Gloss, creating very shiny black areas for anything below about R=G=B=10, using the Ilford supplied profile. I printed raw (un-profiled) step wedges onto the Gloss, same problem, apparently it doesn't allow the ink to penetrate far enough so that the paper gloss dominates.

The Ilford Gold Fiber Silk worked fine on my Pro-100, both with their profile and my custom profile.  Moab Juniper Baryta also works well on the Pro-100, the ink "sinks into" the paper so that the gloss surface is consistent, from white to black.

Richard Southworth

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:41:49 pm »

OK,Thanks for your suggestion ,re: the fiber gloss,My Gold Fiber Silk still works well,with the Canon printer.
I think I tried the Moab Juniper,and really was shocked on how well the print came out-,the RR sample pack is the excellent.
When you used the Moab Juniper,,was there any problems with flaking?,and did you happen to use 13 x 19in.?

Thanks,
Mike

rasworth

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »

I printed on a 8.5x11 sample sheet of the Juniper.  I have a box of 13x19 coming, didn't notice any flaking on the sample.

Richard Southworth
Pages: [1]   Go Up