Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interestingly different perspective  (Read 151261 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
An interestingly different perspective
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:20:56 am »

https://www.kieranelson.com/canon-eos-1d

Not sure that all of his ideas are sound, especially with regard to colour rendition, but there's a lot of common sense in it too.
I still love the quality of images that I shot on EOS1Dii (8.2mp) they look great as A3 prints.

For those that can avoid being sucked into the 'must have the latest tech' or are on a tight budget there's some bargains around out there.

Rob C

Re: An interestingly different perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:11 am »

Yes, there's a lot to be said for old machines. I still use my ancient D200 before my less old D700.

I think it just feels more friendly...

Rob

degrub

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:47:04 am »

https://www.kieranelson.com/canon-eos-1d

Not sure that all of his ideas are sound, especially with regard to colour rendition, but there's a lot of common sense in it too.
I still love the quality of images that I shot on EOS1Dii (8.2mp) they look great as A3 prints.

For those that can avoid being sucked into the 'must have the latest tech' or are on a tight budget there's some bargains around out there.

CCD versus CMOS perhaps ?

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:49:49 am »

I have a 1D2 and a 5D still but they sit on shelves.  Both served me admirably and I created many large prints from both.  A 7D replaced the 1D2 because of better AF and fps for shooting sports. 

I don't use any of my Canon gear anymore though. 

I'm perfectly happy with my Fuji X-T2 with vertical battery grip and a growing stash of Fuji lenses. 
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:54 am »

CCD versus CMOS perhaps ?
[/quote

The 1D Mark II was CMOS
Regards,
Ron

degrub

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:43:57 pm »

I have a 1D2 and a 5D still but they sit on shelves.  Both served me admirably and I created many large prints from both.  A 7D replaced the 1D2 because of better AF and fps for shooting sports. 

I don't use any of my Canon gear anymore though. 

I'm perfectly happy with my Fuji X-T2 with vertical battery grip and a growing stash of Fuji lenses.

Yeah, i wonder whether the original article says more about Canon than about the evolution of digital in general. I do agree though that the postprocessing is often overemphasized and there is something to be said for a camera that "just delivers".
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:38:25 pm »

Well..... I have a number of older Canon SLR film cameras.  My prize is the original F1.

My digital Canon lineage is:  G1, D60, 1DM2, 5D, 7D and a lot of Canon glass.

My impression is that post processing has improved along with the camera tech.  Past processing is orders of magnitude better than in 2000.

The bottom line has always been that great photos are the products of great photographers.  Gear is secondary at best.
Regards,
Ron

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 01:40:07 pm »

i wonder whether the original article says more about Canon than about the evolution of digital in general.
I don't really agree with that.
I think you could make the same points with the use of a Nikon D2H.
ie megapixel count isn't always as important as using a great body with the best AF and exposure system, not to mention build quality.

Telecaster

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »

I really like the sensors in my M8s (2009) and M9 (2012). They're CCDs, but I think their look comes mostly from the Color Filter Arrays they use. And, in the M8's case, its high infrared sensitivity. There's a strong Red-Green-Blue tonal separation in the files the cameras produce.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up