Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse in spring  (Read 2306 times)

framah

Palouse in spring
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:54:54 am »

I'm considering a trip out west in the spring to the Palouse region and as I live in Maine, and plan to drive out, i'm wondering the best route... or the least snowed in route to take as well as the best time to go for it.

For example, if i take Rt. 80 or Rt. 90 across, will I get snowed in out west and not even make it?

Seems like the best time out there is in June

Any thoughts??
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Palouse in spring
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:56:04 pm »

Mid-May is probably safe in terms of huge snow storms.  I-90 is more direct for you and also avoids the I-80 stretch in Nebraska that is one of the most boring roads I've ever driven on.  There are a number of parks to stop off from I-90 if you are so inclined.  Could you get snowed in some place?  In this era of strange climatic events, anything is possible. 

framah

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:53:59 am »

Thanks, Alan. After 174 viewings, I FINALLY got a response! :o

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:46:24 am »

"Interstate highways are like dinner at McDonalds.  Not so much a meal as a solution to a problem."
Me

Unless my prime directive was time, I'd avoid Interstates like the plague.  Far better, more scenic, more relaxing and more interesting are the USnn highways.

Having said that, all-Interstate travel will definitely get you over here faster, allowing more time to explore once you get here.  If you haven't driven this part of the world, you're in for a treat.

I live 4hrs from The Palouse in SW British Columbia.  Do you need info for the Palouse specifically, the Pacific Northwest? Or enroute?

framah

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:14:16 pm »

My plan would be to get out there as quickly as possible then take about a week to wander around the area and then get back home as quickly as possible.

Usually, I can get out to  the Page Arizona area from Maine in 4 1/2 days.  As that is about 2900 miles and the Palouse is about 3,000, I'm good...barring any snow storms on the northern route.

Eons ago, I lived in Eugene, Or, for about 6 months but never got to exploring other than Mt. Saint Helens.

So, i guess around the end of May would work...before I get busy in the store for the summer.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Peter, any info about the area would be helpful. You can PM me if you want.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 11:44:25 pm »

Will do. On the road currently in the Rockies. Back after the weekend.

RBFritz

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:38:30 pm »

I've put in 3 images taken in 3 different months to show seedling growth, light, and weather. Hope they help. First was taken 3/28, second was 5/24, and third was 6/14 in different years( I live about 3 hrs. from there).

framah

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:01 am »

RB...

Thanks for the photos!! Really gives me a visual of when to head out.
Looks like if i left here at the end of May, took 5 -6 days to get out there, i'd have at least a solid week to wander and shoot.

'course, all this depends on how my winter goes in the store. If it is good enough and i'm not spending every dime on plowing, there will be money for the trip!!

Thanks guys!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up