Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burnt trees at Guyamaca Peak Trail  (Read 1684 times)

HCS

Burnt trees at Guyamaca Peak Trail
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »

Not posting too often on LuLa, bit intimidated by some other posters here. I know i cannot even stand in their shadow, so it is good the trail is in blazing sun light  ;D

Thanks for watching.

Hans Cremers

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Burnt trees at Guyamaca Peak Trail
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »

...bit intimidated by some other posters here.
Don't be. They are sort of gruff, but a good lot for the most part! And, if you can hang with it, good advice to be had. I quite like the B/W.

HCS

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 02:14:48 am »

Don't be. They are sort of gruff, but a good lot for the most part! And, if you can hang with it, good advice to be had.

Oops, sorry. English is not my first language. I meant intimidated by some posters' quality of photos. Sorry about that. Those you mean are everywhere.

I quite like the B/W.

Thank you, i appreciate you stopping by and commenting.
Hans Cremers

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 04:44:08 am »

The B&W one is great! Nice to see one of the burnt trees big in the foreground.

In the colored one the blurred gras in the foreground somehow distracts me, though.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:55:43 am »

Hi Hans, Unlike the others I much prefer the color shot, which gives me an esthetic jolt. The B&W is the kind of thing I call a "tourist shot," since all it tells me is that you were there.

Welcome to LuLa. Don't be intimidated. The stuff you learn from is the stuff you feel is better than your own. Often it isn't; it's just stuff that takes off in a different direction from the direction you've been going.

Mainly, just enjoy!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:08:12 am »

Hi Hans, Unlike the others I much prefer the color shot, which gives me an esthetic jolt. The B&W is the kind of thing I call a "tourist shot," since all it tells me is that you were there.

Welcome to LuLa. Don't be intimidated. The stuff you learn from is the stuff you feel is better than your own. Often it isn't; it's just stuff that takes off in a different direction from the direction you've been going.

Mainly, just enjoy!

You're never too old or too experienced to learn from that sentence!

Rob

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:52 am »

Often it isn't; it's just stuff that takes off in a different direction from the direction you've been going.

You're never too old or too experienced to learn from that sentence!

Rob

The B&W is the kind of thing I call a "tourist shot," since all it tells me is that you were there.

Or that one I think  :)

Dave

HCS

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »

Thank you farbschlurf, Russ, Rob and Dave for stopping by and commenting. Some wise words there, thanks for the mental support on posting some of my pictures.

Thank you for liking the colour version and some of you the B&W better.

Dear Russ, i'd be interested to better understand your remark "... all it tells me is that you were there". I'm not trying to play smart here, but interested in what it is that you're missing in that shot. Trying to improve.

Thanks
Hans Cremers

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 04:31:05 pm »

Hi Hans,

When I was much younger, if you were visiting friends, after dinner they'd sometimes get out a slide projector and show 35mm slides from, say, their recent trip to Phoenix. They'd pop up a picture of a blank desert with a hump on the horizon and say, "See that bump out there, those are the Mingus mountains." If you didn't doze off during this kind of sleep aid -- especially if you'd had an after dinner drink -- you were made of iron. THOSE were tourist pictures. Don't get me wrong. I shoot tourist pictures too in order to remember what the Mingus mountains and other sights looked like, but I don't bore my guests with them.

It all comes down to a question of what you're trying to do. Usually I'm trying to produce art -- something that'll give the viewer a jolt. If I can knock the viewer's socks off, that's even better, though coming up with something that'll do that is an extreme rarity. Rather than go on with this explanation, I'll refer you to an essay I wrote not long ago on the subject: http://www.russ-lewis.com/essays/WhyClicktheShutter.html.

Best regards. Stick around. I think you'll enjoy LuLa.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

HCS

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 05:25:01 pm »

Hi Hans,

When I was much younger, if you were visiting friends, after dinner they'd sometimes get out a slide projector and show 35mm slides from, say, their recent trip to Phoenix. They'd pop up a picture of a blank desert with a hump on the horizon and say, "See that bump out there, those are the Mingus mountains." If you didn't doze off during this kind of sleep aid -- especially if you'd had an after dinner drink -- you were made of iron. THOSE were tourist pictures. Don't get me wrong. I shoot tourist pictures too in order to remember what the Mingus mountains and other sights looked like, but I don't bore my guests with them.

It all comes down to a question of what you're trying to do. Usually I'm trying to produce art -- something that'll give the viewer a jolt. If I can knock the viewer's socks off, that's even better, though coming up with something that'll do that is an extreme rarity. Rather than go on with this explanation, I'll refer you to an essay I wrote not long ago on the subject: http://www.russ-lewis.com/essays/WhyClicktheShutter.html.

Best regards. Stick around. I think you'll enjoy LuLa.

Thank you Russ.
Hans Cremers
Pages: [1]   Go Up