Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: writing task ...  (Read 2897 times)

daviddw

writing task ...
« on: September 14, 2017, 05:33:58 am »

[DELETED by Moderator]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:16:57 am by Chris Sanderson »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: writing task but writing services can make them to find relief!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:58 am »

You couldn't say they over-sell...   :D

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:38:15 am »

Bloody Spam!

You'd think that not enough kids copy essays straight off the Internet, submit them, and then deny it when half the class submits exactly the same thing, not even slightly altered just to disguise the fact, and make the crib look personal!

It's the same malaise with almost anything, photography included. Start any topic and, almost at once, anyone can come back and quote this, that or the other without having had the slightest knowledge of the matter in hand even ten minutes earlier. It has reduced the value of experience and in-depth research (love) to a very low level, and as result, I believe that, in general, we are turning into a bunch of dumbed-down morons without a real, deep understanding of anything. Naturally, I tend to preclude those who learned their stuff prior to the Internet invasion; they had no alternative but to study, learn and try to remember.

Rob

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:14 am »

The funny thing is that these kids don't realize how easy it is to find plagiarism these days... using the very same Internet.

My wife used to teach.  She once had this student who was a slightly below average writer, suddenly turn in a major paper that looked like something out of my doctorate studies.
It took my wife about 10 minutes to find out where she purchased the paper.

These kids don't realize that while the internet makes plagiarism easy to do, it also makes it easy to find.

It is one thing to be a cheater, it is another thing to be a stupid cheater.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:14:28 am »

Otoh, I was joint author on a paper rejected for plagiarism... from another paper written by the same first author. And in fact the description of methods was identical... because the method was identical. We were just applying it to different data (and obtaining different results). However, the software said we had auto-palgiarised.

We pointed this out to the editor, who agreed that it was rather silly, but then insisted we had to change some words... apparently he didn't feel he had the authority to over-rule the software.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:50 am »

Anyone who wants to learn to write needs to read Churchill -- all of it, even his novel.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:55:32 am »

The funny thing is that these kids don't realize how easy it is to find plagiarism these days... using the very same Internet.

My wife used to teach.  She once had this student who was a slightly below average writer, suddenly turn in a major paper that looked like something out of my doctorate studies.
It took my wife about 10 minutes to find out where she purchased the paper.

These kids don't realize that while the internet makes plagiarism easy to do, it also makes it easy to find.

It is one thing to be a cheater, it is another thing to be a stupid cheater.

Indeed; my daughter's a teacher too, and that's the source of my information.

A further problem arises when the parents try to defend the kid's work as his own, even on the odd occasion when the parent has done the work! Quite how any parent imagines this will benefit the child is anybody's guess. I'd suggest that part of the problem is that few children now appear to grow up in an environment with books. If one never reads, then one will never pick up habits, style and a concept of form. The "texting" form of spelling is not a huge help, either! I can't stand the notion sometimes put forward that spelling doesn't matter; of course it does - it can make all the difference to meaning, quite apart from bad spelling making a very poor impression. It might be said that when nobody spells correctly, nobody notices and so it doesn't count, but I don't accept that at all. I've noticed that spelling errors make themselves obvious even with words about which one is unsure; somehow, reading makes it easier to spot mistakes than does writing.

Unfortunately, spelling has not been my one of my better literary qualities! I used to depend on my wife: I'd call out the word from the office, and she'd spell it right back to me from whatever else she happened to be doing at the time, and she was always doing something. Who needed an electronic aid! As I seem to find the same words problematic over and over again, it used sometimes to give rise to a certain tone of resignation in the voice...

;-)

Rob

degrub

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:58:59 am »

Anyone who wants to learn to write needs to read Churchill -- all of it, even his novel.

Words were something organic for Churchill - something to be chewed on, tossed up, and flexed until they provided the right tone, cadence, and message. His writings are a good friend, even the early ones where you can follow his writing and speech talent progress.
 Frank

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:09:14 pm »

Right, Frank. And Gibbon was his teacher. Another guy worth some serious reading.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:18:57 am »

Oh, I once called in two students who had both provided the same, extremely unusual and long proof. That's an almost water-tight case for cheating... except when the culprits turn out to be identical twins...  ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 05:36:13 am »

All our submissions are done via a system called Turnitin, and part of the software is dedicated to checking for plagiarism. It is hugely over-sensitive so needs some discretion from the academic staff marking the paper, but it's pretty much eradicated plagiarism in those institutions using it.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:31:35 am »

All our submissions are done via a system called Turnitin, and part of the software is dedicated to checking for plagiarism. It is hugely over-sensitive so needs some discretion from the academic staff marking the paper, but it's pretty much eradicated plagiarism in those institutions using it.

I remembered when I submitted my first draft of my dissertation through the Turnitin software.  It came back 17% plagiarized!  Yikes!  I was in a panic.  I never plagiarized in my life!

It turned out that I was using other people's terms like "United States of America" and citing passages from various constitutions.  (phew!)

But the Turnitin software is pretty thorough.  I think all schools should use it.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up