Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering P65+ to 2017 MacBook Pro?  (Read 5455 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Tethering P65+ to 2017 MacBook Pro?
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:09:14 pm »

Does anyone have experience with this? What really works?

I'd love to find a reliable, working solution that doesn't require AC power. I'm fine with powering the back with its own batteries. Does the "double dongle" solution (thunderbolt 3->thunderbolt2/thunderbolt 2->firewire 800) really work?

The recent demise of my MacBook Pro 17" has made this an urgent question for me.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Joe Towner

Re: Tethering P65+ to 2017 MacBook Pro?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »

How long of a FW800 cable are you working with?  Doing a Unibrain FW800 hub with a custom battery setup (12v3A) may be the most reliable solution.
t: @PNWMF

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »

How long of a FW800 cable are you working with?  Doing a Unibrain FW800 hub with a custom battery setup (12v3A) may be the most reliable solution.

The cable I've been using is 16' IIRC.

I'll check out the Unibrain hub.

The P65+ can force the battery to be the power source, even when tethered, so I'm not too worried about power to the back (though it would be nice). I'm more concerned about the reliability of the tether signal through the adapted path. Is that solid?

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »

Does anyone have experience with this? What really works?

I'd love to find a reliable, working solution that doesn't require AC power. I'm fine with powering the back with its own batteries. Does the "double dongle" solution (thunderbolt 3->thunderbolt2/thunderbolt 2->firewire 800) really work?

The recent demise of my MacBook Pro 17" has made this an urgent question for me.

So I haven't hear anyting fom anyone on this, but my own testing has shown that the two-adapter solution does seem to work for images going to the computer, but nor for power. (I'm not really sure why that is, as the specs say thaat Thunderbolt 3 ought to have more  paewer available than Firewire, but it seems to be the case.)

I have not tried the OWC docking device yet, but that has its own power input, so it may be fine in the power department--though not truly portable, since it needs to be plugged in.

the_luminous_french

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 03:55:06 pm »

"I have not tried the OWC docking device yet, but that has its own power input, so it may be fine in the power department--though not truly portable, since it needs to be plugged in."

but you can use an external battery for the dock...

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:59:25 pm »

The cable I've been using is 16' IIRC.

I'll check out the Unibrain hub.

The P65+ can force the battery to be the power source, even when tethered, so I'm not too worried about power to the back (though it would be nice). I'm more concerned about the reliability of the tether signal through the adapted path. Is that solid?

I know this isn't the answer your looking for, but try a late 2011 17" powerbook.

I keep two, fully maintained, and they have fw800, usb2, original thunderbolt, ethernet and will power my backs, run the software fast enough, two internal ssds and virtually any external monitor, if you wish.

I know it seems like a step backwards, but I love these computers and do a lot of work on them.  Sure a few years from now Apple will stop making parts, but it's a good option and you can find a clean one for about $1100 and not have to worry about convertor to convertor and any legacy external drive will just connect right up.

IMO

BC

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:09 pm »

I know this isn't the answer your looking for, but try a late 2011 17" powerbook.

I keep two, fully maintained, and they have fw800, usb2, original thunderbolt, ethernet and will power my backs, run the software fast enough, two internal ssds and virtually any external monitor, if you wish.

I know it seems like a step backwards, but I love these computers and do a lot of work on them.  Sure a few years from now Apple will stop making parts, but it's a good option and you can find a clean one for about $1100 and not have to worry about convertor to convertor and any legacy external drive will just connect right up.

IMO

BC

Apple has already made the 17" Macbook Pro obsolete, except in Turkey or California, where they are designated "vintage".

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »

Apple has already made the 17" Macbook Pro obsolete, except in Turkey or California, where they are designated "vintage".

I just had a new motherboard put in one and while they were at it added larger ssds.

Not cheap, but not that expensive and I didn't need apple approved drives.

You know a lot of companies obsolete things, even fairly new, so I don't worry about it as long as it works.

I was just offering a solution that doesn't take docks and power supplies, because I tether my backs, Canons and Leica on these computers regularly and effortlessly.

Doesn't mean I don't own newer computers that are faster, but to tether, we carry 2 17" books. 

To each his own.

BC

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »

I just had a new motherboard put in one and while they were at it added larger ssds.

Not cheap, but not that expensive and I didn't need apple approved drives.

You know a lot of companies obsolete things, even fairly new, so I don't worry about it as long as it works.

I was just offering a solution that doesn't take docks and power supplies, because I tether my backs, Canons and Leica on these computers regularly and effortlessly.

Doesn't mean I don't own newer computers that are faster, but to tether, we carry 2 17" books. 

To each his own.

BC

Good to know. I was wondering about that.

Do you ever need to do some amount of processing on location, to show clients? If so, will those computers work for this too with relatively recent processing software? Or do you use some other equipment for that purpose?

Conner999

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 06:41:32 am »

+1 for BC's comments. We run pair of high-end late 2011 15" MBPs and love their ability to be customized. Dual SSDs in each, can be booted in any of 10.6.8, 10.7 or 10.12. Both are setup such that if one goes down (yet to happen), the other can boot as it's twin. 

Given most photo software depends less on processor power and more on memory, the 16GB memory limit remains. In addition to the legacy interfaces, under OSx Sierra, the small CalDigit TS2 works a treat - adding USB3 for tethering, esata, HDMI, and Giga Ethernet ports via the Thunderbolt or TB2 port (just use the free Caldigit app to eject drives or it gets funky).

We dread the idea of having to 'upgrade' machines at some point as it just seems your tailoring & tweaking options diminish and your dongle collection increases w/every product cycle for the sake of thinnest / lightest. May just replace with same or 17" model(s) for some extra real estate. 

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »

In the event you're looking for options:  https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple-Systems/Used/MacBook-Pro

OWC has both the 2011 17" and the 2012 13" options.  There was a graphics issue on the 2011 15" & 17" models (typing this on one) and it involved a replacement motherboard - but Apple has ended this service https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/20/apple-ends-2011-macbook-pro-repair-program/
t: @PNWMF

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »

Good to know. I was wondering about that.

Do you ever need to do some amount of processing on location, to show clients? If so, will those computers work for this too with relatively recent processing software? Or do you use some other equipment for that purpose?

I would imagine 20% to 30% of our final imaging, comes from the powerbooks.  Like Conner I have different startup drives in each computer, even legacy snow leopard in one as I use some business software that was never updated and the second drive is Sierra.

The interesting thing is mine almost never crash.  I can run three or four intensive programs, LR, PS, FCP, QT7 and they run.  Sometimes I overrun the vram and It gets a little slow, so we restart, but once again, they so rarely crash.

On the 17" I have one set up for stills one set up for motion, I can even run resolve, though I have to cut the resolution down in grading, then for output set it on high, but that's normal for resolve as it taxes almost all video cards, even 4 to 6 gb graphic cards.

I don't know why Apple didn't continue with the 17" but maybe they just didn't sell, but the extra real estate of the screen is great when working multiple programs.

It is annoying that apple changes the ports to just one interface, then solders the hard drives in place on the 2016 and 2017 macbook pros, but that's the way apple rolls today.

I'm going to buy another 17" next week, as I've had very few problems, but when we're working, both of ours are in use all day.

Ours go through a lot of intense locations and I'm fortunate that we have a great small tech company a few blocks from us, so depending on the project if they get covered in dust and gunk, they go in and get cleaned, checked, etc.   BTW:  You can add a newer tech replacement battery for $99 that will give you around 50% more battery life than the original.

Sorry to go off topic but . . .

For faster work, we have 4 identical 27" I macs, I think 2015 to replace our 5,1's.  They are pretty fast and work well with raw 4k footage, though from time to time the I macs will crash out without warning.
Even though they are identical, 1 is very stable, the other three less so.   Strange.  What is also perplexing about the I macs, they will not run more than three external drives at once.  Plug in #4 and one will drop off bus powered or powered through the mains.

The 17" MBP will run 4 bus powered drives at once and never drop a drive. 

Like everyone, I love faster computers, but don't like the setup time, re-buying software, then finding some bugs. I also have 150 Lacie rugged drives with interfaces ranging from fw 800 to thunderbolt and I dread having to move to usb C drives (or whatever they're called) and cloning all these drives over. 

So what I have is working now, so what the heck.

IMO

BC

bcooter

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »

In the event you're looking for options:  https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple-Systems/Used/MacBook-Pro

OWC has both the 2011 17" and the 2012 13" options.  There was a graphics issue on the 2011 15" & 17" models (typing this on one) and it involved a replacement motherboard - but Apple has ended this service https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/20/apple-ends-2011-macbook-pro-repair-program/

OWC is good.  Just bought my wife/producer a 2015 MBP that she loves and runs a second monitor on it most of the time.  It's as clean as new.

Powermax also has some 17" and I've bought from them and owc for years.

https://www.powermax.com/product/used-macbook-pro-17in-2011-2-5ghz-i7-16gb-ram-750gb-hd/

I would suggest having your tech company check it out and then drop in two ssds and the newer tech battery first thing, or owc will do it (I believe).

I use Mac 911 in Santa Monica (ask for Felix to do the work) as they have always been great to me and if there is a recall issue, Felix will find out and probably save you some money.

I'm also typing this on a 17" while running PS, FCP, QT7 and quark interactive and right now (knock on aluminum, no problems.

IMO

BC

JJon

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 11:08:36 pm »

I was told 2011 are no longer serviced. That aside - how is the color on the monitors of the 17? I'm intrigued. Thanks!

I would imagine 20% to 30% of our final imaging, comes from the powerbooks.  Like Conner I have different startup drives in each computer, even legacy snow leopard in one as I use some business software that was never updated and the second drive is Sierra.

The interesting thing is mine almost never crash.  I can run three or four intensive programs, LR, PS, FCP, QT7 and they run.  Sometimes I overrun the vram and It gets a little slow, so we restart, but once again, they so rarely crash.

On the 17" I have one set up for stills one set up for motion, I can even run resolve, though I have to cut the resolution down in grading, then for output set it on high, but that's normal for resolve as it taxes almost all video cards, even 4 to 6 gb graphic cards.

I don't know why Apple didn't continue with the 17" but maybe they just didn't sell, but the extra real estate of the screen is great when working multiple programs.

It is annoying that apple changes the ports to just one interface, then solders the hard drives in place on the 2016 and 2017 macbook pros, but that's the way apple rolls today.

I'm going to buy another 17" next week, as I've had very few problems, but when we're working, both of ours are in use all day.

Ours go through a lot of intense locations and I'm fortunate that we have a great small tech company a few blocks from us, so depending on the project if they get covered in dust and gunk, they go in and get cleaned, checked, etc.   BTW:  You can add a newer tech replacement battery for $99 that will give you around 50% more battery life than the original.

Sorry to go off topic but . . .

For faster work, we have 4 identical 27" I macs, I think 2015 to replace our 5,1's.  They are pretty fast and work well with raw 4k footage, though from time to time the I macs will crash out without warning.
Even though they are identical, 1 is very stable, the other three less so.   Strange.  What is also perplexing about the I macs, they will not run more than three external drives at once.  Plug in #4 and one will drop off bus powered or powered through the mains.

The 17" MBP will run 4 bus powered drives at once and never drop a drive. 

Like everyone, I love faster computers, but don't like the setup time, re-buying software, then finding some bugs. I also have 150 Lacie rugged drives with interfaces ranging from fw 800 to thunderbolt and I dread having to move to usb C drives (or whatever they're called) and cloning all these drives over. 

So what I have is working now, so what the heck.

IMO

BC

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:57 pm »

I was told 2011 are no longer serviced. That aside - how is the color on the monitors of the 17? I'm intrigued. Thanks!

I'm not saying a new 2017 mbp wouldn't be faster, it is.  I just get weary of changing connectors, power supplies hooking up drives, or copying drives just so they can be read.

I've had these last two 17" for about 4 to 5 years, replaced one motherboard three weeks ago, but hey, they've been through it in all kinds of conditions and something on any computer would have finally broke after round the world gigs.

I wouldn't use them for heavy grading in resolve, but then again, I doubt if I'd do it with a 2017, so  . . .

Last night at the last moment had to cut together a motion storyboard for an early conference call and since most of the data was already in the 17" I just cut in the computer, rather than copy it out

I probably shouldn't say they're good because now they'll probably go plunk.

As far as the screen, if you get the glossy one it matches most apple crushed I-mac screens, but I have the anti glare and some profiles to match whoever is looking (I hope). 

The only suggestion I have is to buy from a dealer that will allow returns, just in case.

IMO

BC

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:34 pm »

I'm not saying a new 2017 mbp wouldn't be faster, it is.  I just get weary of changing connectors, power supplies hooking up drives, or copying drives just so they can be read.

I've had these last two 17" for about 4 to 5 years, replaced one motherboard three weeks ago, but hey, they've been through it in all kinds of conditions and something on any computer would have finally broke after round the world gigs.

I wouldn't use them for heavy grading in resolve, but then again, I doubt if I'd do it with a 2017, so  . . .

Last night at the last moment had to cut together a motion storyboard for an early conference call and since most of the data was already in the 17" I just cut in the computer, rather than copy it out

I probably shouldn't say they're good because now they'll probably go plunk.

As far as the screen, if you get the glossy one it matches most apple crushed I-mac screens, but I have the anti glare and some profiles to match whoever is looking (I hope). 

The only suggestion I have is to buy from a dealer that will allow returns, just in case.

IMO

BC

This is a good thread now. 8 bought a new 15” MBP, but I still have the 17”, and am thinking about sending it to a 3rd party to see if the GPU can be repaired, just to use with the 65+ for tethering.

BC, I agree that the 17” screen real estate is preferable. The resolution of the 2017 models is nice, but size does matter, and the glossy screen just plain sucks. Yes, you get deeper blacks, but out in the real world, it would be nice to actually see the image.

And don’t get me started on the lumpy bag of adapters I have to carry now to interface my sleek, thin new MBPro with the rest of the world: my Red SSD readers, CF readers, my clients’ conference room monitors, SD readers, my cameras... Apple has gotten to be like a high school prom queen who doesn’t think anybody else matters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up