Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HASSELBLAD CFV BACK ON V SERIES  (Read 4967 times)

MARKCAMDEN

HASSELBLAD CFV BACK ON V SERIES
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:19:59 pm »

Has anyone had any expeience or have any information regarding the Hasselblad CFV digital on  the V series cameras ?

I understand that it is a square sensor. What happens with an 80 mm lens. Is the factor 1.5 so it makes it a 120 mm.  Is it the same as lenses on  35 mm slr type cameras ?  If this is true then even a CFV back on a SWC would only be the same as approx. a 60 mm lens with a film back ?
This would really limit ones wide angle photography.  Am I missing something or is this the case?

The other thing I wonder about is there some type of viewfinder mask or is what you see what you get when looking through the viewfinder on the camera ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »

Basically these square sensors give restriced coverage.

Eg a 35 lense is very wide  on a 645 camera wheras only slightly wider than 'normal' on a chip of this size

Sensors of this size do therefore have major widangle restrictions when teamed up with MF lenses on 645/66 cameras

The smaller chip size also affects depth of field  over a given scene shot from the same place (you would need to choose a differnt lense)

Part of the MF 'look' is the thin DOF that is achived - this is lost with a chip of this size

(but it still looks more 'MF' than a DSLR unless you crop to rectangle - at which point it will look exactly the same a Full frame DSLR - exept more costly and less lens availability)

To me the only appeal of chips this size is that it is a 'cheap' route to digitse MF gear

(I am an ex Proback owner)
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:43:42 pm »

Thats pretty much the size of it. If you need viable wideangles wider than 60mm then you need a 49 x37mm size chip. The CF 40mm and SWC work just fine with this chip size and the loss of 7mm from the frame size is insignificant relative to the 6x4.5 frame size.
The V series does work well with either of these backs ( I have the  132c) and depending on your needs the savings offerred by the CFV are quite considerable and there is the advantage of 16 bit capture and medium format looks over a DSLR.

Has anyone had any expeience or have any information regarding the Hasselblad CFV digital on  the V series cameras ?

I understand that it is a square sensor. What happens with an 80 mm lens. Is the factor 1.5 so it makes it a 120 mm.  Is it the same as lenses on  35 mm slr type cameras ?  If this is true then even a CFV back on a SWC would only be the same as approx. a 60 mm lens with a film back ?
This would really limit ones wide angle photography.  Am I missing something or is this the case?

The other thing I wonder about is there some type of viewfinder mask or is what you see what you get when looking through the viewfinder on the camera ?

Any information would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

williamrohr

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »

I just received my CFV back and plan to use it with a 203FE and 205FCC.  My decision was based upon how much I have always enjoyed shooting with those cameras and the fact that I have the Hasselblad 300 f2.8 FE TPP lens which I just can't seem to give up (as much as I love my Canon long lenses).  With this combination I will be shooting 450 f2.8 or 765 f4.5 (!!!) with my Hasseys.  The construction and finish of the unit are impeccable. To answer your question, it comes with a marked focusing screen. The only problem is that I have now sent the camera bodies back for modification of their databus connectors (they have to go back to the factory in Sweden) so it will be about a month until I can report on the use of the unit.  The interesting question is whether the new databus connectors on the 200 series will now connect with the other Imacon backs ...  either way .... I wouldn't dump your 200's on Ebay just yet.  More to follow... Bill  

MARKCAMDEN

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:48:09 pm »

Thats pretty much the size of it. If you need viable wideangles wider than 60mm then you need a 49 x37mm size chip. The CF 40mm and SWC work just fine with this chip size and the loss of 7mm from the frame size is insignificant relative to the 6x4.5 frame size.
The V series does work well with either of these backs ( I have the  132c) and depending on your needs the savings offerred by the CFV are quite considerable and there is the advantage of 16 bit capture and medium format looks over a DSLR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks for the replies.......I have a pretty good understanding now.

MARKCAMDEN

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:49:20 pm »

I just received my CFV back and plan to use it with a 203FE and 205FCC.  My decision was based upon how much I have always enjoyed shooting with those cameras and the fact that I have the Hasselblad 300 f2.8 FE TPP lens which I just can't seem to give up (as much as I love my Canon long lenses).  With this combination I will be shooting 450 f2.8 or 765 f4.5 (!!!) with my Hasseys.  The construction and finish of the unit are impeccable. To answer your question, it comes with a marked focusing screen. The only problem is that I have now sent the camera bodies back for modification of their databus connectors (they have to go back to the factory in Sweden) so it will be about a month until I can report on the use of the unit.  The interesting question is whether the new databus connectors on the 200 series will now connect with the other Imacon backs ...  either way .... I wouldn't dump your 200's on Ebay just yet.  More to follow... Bill 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info. I'm considering the CFV on a 503CX.  I don't think that camera will require any modification. Please let us know how the back functions ,
Thanks,
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up