Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 and the D850  (Read 6437 times)

Mike Dale

C1 and the D850
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:25:55 am »

The first Nikon D850's will be delivered at the end of this week.

When are we likely going to be able to open the NEF files in C1?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: C1 and the D850
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:57:08 am »

I have discussed this exact issue with friends that work for Phase with past Nikon camera introductions.  It all depends on when or how soon Phase was able to get a final body.  They go through a fairly elaborate procedure in profiling every camera they support.  they don't just update the software to recognize the new RAW file model header like some others do.  But generally it isn't more than a few weeks on the long end and sometimes it is almost immediately - they are a bit at the mercy of Nikon delivering them a body.

Mike Dale

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:01:12 pm »

Thanks E.J.  I hope it's not too long.

What do you think is the best method to get into C1 until they can import the D850 NEF?

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:11:04 pm »

It's going to be tough to do.  Usually what you do is you replace the camera name in the RAW file via a hex editor with another camera name that uses the same sensor or one with the same pixel dimensions.  That doesn't exist in this case.  So I think you are just going to have to wait and hope it isn't too long.  The longest wait I can remember on C1 supporting a new Nikon camera was the D7200 and that took about 6 weeks but you could just replace the 7200 with 5300 in the RAW file and it worked fine since it was the same sensor.  The D500 on the other hand was supported within a week or so of the camera being available so hope for that :)  If memory serves, D5 support was essentially simultaneous with camera release.

sebbe

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:18:55 am »

Try to copy+rename the 810 generic profile to the 850. To be found here: C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 10\Color Profiles\DSLR (or whatever your installation folder is)
Or, if you create your own profiles, you can put them into the general ICC-folder C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color\
or the specific one of C1: C:\Users\#username#\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles\

The name will be NikonD850-#profilename#.icm or .icc

I never did this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work (as long as you don't have the C1-Sony version of course, which allows only Sony cameras).

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:47 am »

Try to copy+rename the 810 generic profile to the 850. To be found here: C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 10\Color Profiles\DSLR (or whatever your installation folder is)
Or, if you create your own profiles, you can put them into the general ICC-folder C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color\
or the specific one of C1: C:\Users\#username#\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles\

The name will be NikonD850-#profilename#.icm or .icc

I never did this, but I don't see why it shouldn't work (as long as you don't have the C1-Sony version of course, which allows only Sony cameras).

Won't work, you need to have the software recognize the camera type header in the RAW file.  You have to modify the RAW file to replace D850 with D810 in that case and then you would still have a pixel dimension mismatch with unknown consequences.  Just hang on for the couple of weeks it takes - in the meanwhile you can always use Capture NXD.

Mike Dale

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:31:26 pm »

Thanks E.J.

Of course it might all be  moot. Its all supposing that I actually get a D850 in the first batch :)

I ordered at 6am from B&H on the first day. I just hope that was early enough.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:33:04 pm »

in the meanwhile you can always use Capture NXD.

And ACR since today.

I checked and it seems to be doing a very nice job on the sample D850 .nef I tried it on. So nice that I may standardize on LR since C1 Pro isn't supporting my Hasselblad.

Cheers,
Bernard

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 08:49:18 am »

DNG converter has also been updated so you can use DNG converter to convert the NEF's and then load the resulting DNG files in C1P

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:52:11 am »

Capture One Pro 10.2 Beta 3 lists the D850 as a supported camera. So good news for all the D850 owners out there.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Richard_Marcellus

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:25:14 am »

C1 10.2beta 3 is working fine for me with D850 files.

Richard
Instagram: richardcmarcellus

E.J. Peiker

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:02 am »

C1P v. 10.2 is now available with D850 support.  Although if you try to access it through C1 via the Check for Updates feature, it doesn't yet recognize that there is an update available.  But if you go to the Phase One website and click on Download, you will find it there.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:26:23 pm »

C1P v. 10.2 is now available with D850 support.  Although if you try to access it through C1 via the Check for Updates feature, it doesn't yet recognize that there is an update available.  But if you go to the Phase One website and click on Download, you will find it there.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mike Dale

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:03 am »

Thanks E.J.

Now all I need is a D850 to try it on.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:30:17 pm »

7 days for official support after camera availability and Beta available the day of release, looks like Nikon and P1 worked together well on this one.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 08:10:00 pm »

7 days for official support after camera availability and Beta available the day of release, looks like Nikon and P1 worked together well on this one.

Hi Bernard,

Indeed, and that used to be different in the past. Looks like Nikon is taking OEMs like PhaseOne more seriously and this time supplied them with a pre-release copy. Capture One usually has a more thorough process for profile creation for real new sensors than some others.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:39 pm »

I just received my D850 yesterday and consider it an upgrade to my now sold Phase One IQ180 kit.  Yes, the resolution is less, though still plenty.  These images were processed in Capture One.  All were made with a Zeiss ZF.2 28mm lens.

I am blown away by the camera.  Truly a great value.

Link to images
Pages: [1]   Go Up