Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P400: Print Settings - Saving but not Sticking  (Read 2579 times)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Epson P400: Print Settings - Saving but not Sticking
« on: September 03, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

So I got my P400 a couple of days ago.  Everything went well in getting it up and running.  It is smaller and lighter than my earlier and only printer HP B9180 which is good as space is becoming sparse in my office.  I was surprised that after the initial head priming routine, the ink levels are still showing 100%.  Either the starter cartridges have more ink than the normal ones or the ink level meter is unreliable.  I have not used Epson printers before so I expect that figuring how to do things, both hardware and software-wise, would be a learning curve.

Here is the first software problem I am encountering:

(I am using Photoshop CC 2014 on Windows 10)

I thought I will save print settings representing different scenarios of speed, quality, size etc and different papers like glossy, matte etc so I can recall those when needed and not have to enter all individual parameters every time which is bound to end up printing a wrong black or wrong speed at some point, wasting time and money.  That is a nice function in Epson's driver that wasn't there in B9180. 

Using Epson's guide (Attachment 1) I set out to save a particular group of setting, giving it a name and hitting Save.  I can see the new name appearing in the window and then in the drop down in the main menu Select Setting drop down (Attachment 2.)  So far so good.  However, once I get out of the Print Preferences and go back in, the saved group of settings isn't there.   What's happening to it.  I tried doing a search on c:\ to see if exists in any of the folders.  No luck.  Repeated the same outside Photoshop straight from the Control Panel / Devices and Printers.  Same results.

The driver for P400 seems pretty similar to those for P600 and P800.  Does anyone have experience in this regard with any of the SureColors? May be I am doing something wrong, can't figure out what.

:Niranjan. 

rasworth

Re: Epson P400: Print Settings - Saving but not Sticking
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:59:37 am »

Have you gone to Epson.com and downloaded/installed the latest driver?

Richard Southworth

nirpat89

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:16:09 am »

Have you gone to Epson.com and downloaded/installed the latest driver?

Richard Southworth

Yes.  As of last night.

rasworth

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 02:18:52 pm »

If I understand correctly the settings are stored in the registry, under current user > printers > settings, in binary format.  Are you operating as a user with administrative rights?  I'm not at all sure about this, good luck.

Richard Southworth

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:10:24 am »

Are you creating and saving by opening the driver dialogue via an application (like Photoshop) or directly from the Printer under Windows?  To save them globally, you need to do it via the Printer directly under Windows and not by opening the dialogue via an application.
Phil Brown

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:14 am »

Are you creating and saving by opening the driver dialogue via an application (like Photoshop) or directly from the Printer under Windows?  To save them globally, you need to do it via the Printer directly under Windows and not by opening the dialogue via an application.
I can only speak from the perspective of an Epson 3880.  I can save paper settings directly in the driver dialogue box irrespective of what application opens it.  When I profile new papers I print from the Adobe print utility and I enter all the settings for the new paper and save them.  Similarly, if I am using LR to print on and need to create a new paper size that I will be using a lot I'm able to save it in the same manner.  I think the dialogue works irrespective of the application that opens it. 

The other thing that is important is to regularly export your paper settings and save them in a separate file in case they need to be restored because of a migration to a new computer or drive failure.

nirpat89

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »

I can only speak from the perspective of an Epson 3880.  I can save paper settings directly in the driver dialogue box irrespective of what application opens it.  When I profile new papers I print from the Adobe print utility and I enter all the settings for the new paper and save them.  Similarly, if I am using LR to print on and need to create a new paper size that I will be using a lot I'm able to save it in the same manner.  I think the dialogue works irrespective of the application that opens it. 

The other thing that is important is to regularly export your paper settings and save them in a separate file in case they need to be restored because of a migration to a new computer or drive failure.

Farmer:  I did try both from Photoshop and also straight from the Devices and Printers in windows Control Panel just to be sure.  So application isn't it. 

Alan:  Thanks.  At least it does work on 3880. 

Wondering if anyone has actually been able to use this function on any of P400/600/800, particularly from Windows 10.  It can't be a bug for so long after the introduction of the printers. 

In the mean time, I think I have a work around to this problem using the export/import option in the same panel.  If I export it to a folder, like Alan said,  I am able to recall again by importing back when I need to use those settings again.  A couple of more steps every time I print, but it works.   

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:08 pm »

I would be surprised if this is a bug since Win10 has been around for over a year now.  Perhaps, the printer installation didn't go correctly.  You might try to uninstall and reinstall the printer and see if that clears things up.  Also, contact Epson help as they might know of the issue if there is one.

alan

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »

Some aspects of it do, but some don't.  Having been bitten in the past (and it's not just the Epson driver), I make global changes via the printer dialogue opened directly rather than through an application. 

For the OP, neither is working, so I'd reinstall the driver.
Phil Brown

nirpat89

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:13 am »

An update.

Installed on a Win7 machine.  It worked.

Uninstalled and reinstalled on the Win10, only the driver and not the whole combo package.  It worked.

Now it won't let me export saved settings that has User Defined paper size.  I am not going to worry about that right now.

Thanks, guys for your attention to the problem. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up