Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip for Aspen Color in Colorado  (Read 1897 times)

BradSmith

Trip for Aspen Color in Colorado
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:08:14 pm »

I'm thinking of making a 5-6 day trip for the autumn color in Colorado in late September.  I found this article on 10 good drives for fall color.   http://www.colorado.com/articles/10-places-see-colorados-fall-color

Any other suggestions or comments?  Are enough people doing this that motel reservations are necessary?

thanks
Brad

gkroeger

Re: Trip for Aspen Color in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:05:59 pm »

Brad:

I have photographed Colorado in late September several times. I generally prefer the western slope and San Juans.  Dallas Divide can be spectacular, as can the Elk Mountains southwest of Carbondale. The drive from Ouray to Carbondale, with a side trip to Dallas Divide is great. Don't forget the southern part of the state, east of Pagosa Springs and across Wolf Creek Pass. Even down into northern New Mexico near Chama. As much as I love Rocky Mountain N.P., it's not the best place for color.  In any given year, you may need to move north or south, or to higher or lower elevations to catch peak color at any given time.

Glenn

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 02:13:16 pm »

thanks Glenn

sierraman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:53:26 pm »

I'll be making the trip to Colorado for the 3rd straight year. I'm going to start this year in Aspen (Maroon Bells, Ashcroft Ghost Town) and work my way south to Crested Butte via Kebler Pass. Then spend a couple of nights in Ridgway (San Juans, Dallas Divide, Last Dollar Road). From there I'll make it over to Telluride for a day then back to Ouray and on to Silverton and down to Durango. There are so many places to find wonderful Fall colors in the state of Colorado but I've found this particular route to meet all of my photography needs. There will be plenty of other photographers and photography groups that advanced reservations would be a good idea.  :)

JimT1

• www.jimtsioles.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:10:01 pm »

I'll be photographing Maroon Bells Sept 25th.  Last year Colorado's South West was fantastic to shoot for me.  I had dark brewing storm clouds above Wilson peak and sun rays breaking through onto golden leaves below in the middle of the day.  The rest of the time I will be in Rocky Mountain and Colorado springs this year.  Hopefully my car doesn't get stuck in a brewery parking lot for to long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up