Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B+W ultra slim filters=my worst buy!!!  (Read 9059 times)

to-mas

B+W ultra slim filters=my worst buy!!!
« on: September 04, 2006, 06:02:04 am »

B W ultra slim filters=my worst buy!!!

One month ago I bought 5D,24-70 L,cards and B+W ultraslim filters (UV and cir. polarizer).

Few days later after I got them I went for 4 weeks travel (hitchhike and bus) around UK.

This was ultimate test for whole my new gear.I left my Eos3 at home and went completly digital.

Anyway, in this period I found that that ultraslim filters were my worst buy ever. That

cap in totally bad.Is soft, so IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL YOU SCRATCH FILTER BY PRESSING THE CAP!!!

So for example you cant put camera in the bag lens down because that will press cap and that will

scrastch this expensive filters. And another bug is that this cap is slipping down very easyli.

In my cca 9 years of photographing I lost the lens cap maybe once. Now, just after 4 weeks.

of owning 2 ultraslim filters I allready lost one.After while I found that is better not to use cap at all and have just lens hood.

So now,on the end of the day, I will send a complaining letter to BW that filters for more that 100dollars

have cap whitch is actually dangerous to the filter.That I needed to clean this filters in 4 weeks more times that another ones in a year.

I will ask for exchange, if not at least another cap so I can sell them on ebay and buy normal ones. On answer from B+W will depend if I will buy something from them again.

I know, that I should have done more research before buy them, but anyway that cap is unacceptably bad. I am sure that is no problem to make a hard cap.

The point of my post is to know your experience and opinion.Thank you

here are photos of that cap
http://tomas.rebelium.net/gallery/albums/album02/cap1.jpg

http://tomas.rebelium.net/gallery/albums/album02/cap2.jpg

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:39:06 pm »

scratch? that soft bendy cap scratching a B+W filter? Nope I don't think so.

I have a B+W polariser and don't bother with the cap as the only time I bother with caps are to send lenses to canon for calibration. A lens cap means you are'nt ready to shoot. That said there is no way that I could scratch my filter with that cap, mark it yes but the mark wipes off in a second.

If it is any use, Hoya don't provide a cap for their ultraslim filters period, neither do any other manufacturer I've ever heard of. Therefore you are complaining about a freebie that no other manufacturer even bothers with.

to-mas

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:45:36 pm »

scratch? that soft bendy cap scratching a B+W filter? Nope I don't think so.
= I DO!!! Do you see that numbers on the cap? Dont you think that when they touch filter it will not scratch it?

I have a B+W polariser and don't bother with the cap as the only time I bother with caps are to send lenses to canon for calibration. A lens cap means you are'nt ready to shoot.
=
When you dont use lens you should have cap on it.Just not to get dust on it.

That said there is no way that I could scratch my filter with that cap, mark it yes but the mark wipes off in a second.

=Mark  is it not enough?Cap to filter for more than 100dollars should not make any marks. Every cleaning is bad for filter.You should try to keep filter/lens clean to not  need to clean it. Cap should protect filter,not mark it!!!

If it is any use, Hoya don't provide a cap for their ultraslim filters period, neither do any other manufacturer I've ever heard of. Therefore you are complaining about a freebie that no other manufacturer even bothers with.
=honestly.I think its better. I dont use the cap now anymore as it is safer to use just the lenshood. Anyway I will send complaing letter tommorow.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:59:45 am »

It won't scratch it honest! The marks are the same as if you touched the filter with your camera strap, they are just dirt marks! You would have to try extremely hard to scratch a hardened and coated lens filter with a soft piece of plastic. Seriously your claim sound silly.

Not to get dust on it? are you a photographer or a collecter? Hands up all pros who always keep a cap on your lenses. I've never met one. Give it a blow if you're worried about dust then get on with the photography!

to-mas

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:20:04 am »

It won't scratch it honest! The marks are the same as if you touched the filter with your camera strap, they are just dirt marks! You would have to try extremely hard to scratch a hardened and coated lens filter with a soft piece of plastic. Seriously your claim sound silly.
=Look.IF you dont see scratch it dont mean that is not there.and btw I never touched filter with camera strap. And I was busy newspaper photograper.

Not to get dust on it? are you a photographer or a collecter? Hands up all pros who always keep a cap on your lenses. I've never met one. Give it a blow if you're worried about dust then get on with the photography!
= I dont keep a cap on lens all the time.Just when I dont use it. When you travel by bus and your camera is in backpack you dont use a cap? Or better if you sitting on the sand beach you leaving camera out without cap even if you know you will not take any pictures?

I am not a collecter.
My philosophy is if you dont take picture because you worry about camera (will be stolen,broken,etc) you should not have it.
When in my 18 after 4years of saving and big help from my mum I get eos 3 + 28-135 is I went in undercover to nazidemonstration.Few months later I went for 3 days demonstration against NATO summint. That wasnt a safe places. If that 200nazi guys found that I been in antinazi NGO I will not have teeth 8)
When I bought this 5D + 24-70 after 2years saving with my girlfriend we went for 4 weeks hitchhike and backapacking around UK. We get to parts of some citys where I hade a knife in my hand all the time as it looks so dangerous. And with my centraleuropean accent and 70l backpacks we didnt look like local
If I will be a collector I will leave 5D at home and went just with my old canonet for 50gbp.
8)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 11:31:18 am »

Much respect for going in there to the anit-nazi demonstrations, and as a Jew I want to say thanks!

I have to admit to not using a cap ever, the hood keeps out most of the junk and even then my 17-40L and 70-200L which travel with the hoods reversed very rarely get anything on them from the bag that I can't blow off first time!

It doesn't make sense that the cap is able to scratch the filter but if it is you should be able to claim a replacement under warranty shouldn't you?

to-mas

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 11:54:34 am »

It doesn't make sense that the cap is able to scratch the filter but if it is you should be able to claim a replacement under warranty shouldn't you?
=
Thats the point, it dosnt make a sence. I am not sure how it is with warranty.The complication is that I bought it from BH from USA, I living in UK, but just now I am moving back to Slovakia.
Probably I will leave them with my friend in UK and complain like UK resident to BW head office in Germany. I am sure that costumer from UK have bigger value then from Slovakia.
  Personally this is more think about costumer services than warranty. I been working in  costumer services in UK and I know what kind of standart I should ask for.

I will see. I will send letter later on but  now I need to pack my backpacks as tommorow I will take 25hour bus to hometown.uff

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75565\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Fritzer

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:06:38 pm »

Well, use a different cap then. It doesn't take a genius to know a soft rubber cap will easily be pushed in.  
One look at that thing, and you know what it can do and what it can't do.
Talk about DAU ( German term   ).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:07:22 pm by Fritzer »

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 02:02:11 am »

I'm a professional and I use lens caps on my lenses.  

RedRebel

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:26:09 pm »

Well I also have a B&W slim line polarizer (uncoated) and I agree that the provided lenscap is useless. I think we may expect from Grundliches German Engineering, to design a filtercap that stays fitted to the filter. The other normal size B&W filter I have, same type different size, is sold without a cap, because the normal lens cap fit's to the filter.

I am not afraid to scratch the filter -it's very hard schrott glass- but I don't like to walk in crowded places with an uncoverred filter. For that reason I always leave the hood attached to my lens when using the B&W slim polariser.

So To-Mas, when writing a letter you may add my name to the list  

cookielida

• http://
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 04:49:06 pm »

Hey Tomas!
Just let me say that I have a Heliopan slim polarizer, and as mentioned earlier, it didn't come with a cap. It's quite frustrating, I know, to put a 100+ USD filter in the bag and pray it wont damaged while in transit, but thus far I didnt find any other caps. I will check the canon rubber caps (they sell cheap ones) and tell you how it goes.
In the meanwhile, keep that hood in place whenever possible and use a VERY good and padded bag (try the AW holster series - highly resistent!)
Chen
Pages: [1]   Go Up