Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutterless  (Read 5159 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Shutterless
« on: September 03, 2006, 09:27:20 am »

Hello people.

I use Eyelike on H1

I am missing with this system shift or ultrawide.

I cant afford Alpa etc !

I also have nikkor glass 14, 24 28 shift etc.

My observations of the Nikkor glass is that (especially the older lenses) have a pretty big image circle maybe 15-18 MP worth on a 22mp back -plenty at 16bit for a good file

I have built a camera using a sinar standard and some other bits to get the nikkor glass correctly aligned to focus on the chip plane

Trouble is this system has no shutter - I have made some long exposure images by the 'hat method' where exposure is controlled by a 'hat' over the lense quickly removed and replaced - not very consistent! (I activate the electronic back by using B on a seperate copal shutter)

I want to make this into a useable system

So I need

a ) an electronic way of fooling the back into on/off in controllable short times

or

b ) A flat shutter that I could put behind the lens

Option a is preferable

my investigations of option b have come up with the 'packard shutter' and also the sinar DB shutter - both thin 'lensboard shutters' does anyone know any more

Also there is Copal number three shutter but it seems too thick and not to have a big enough whole in the middle to not obsure some of the projected image

A fast shutter time is not essential as proably shooting interiors 1/2s at f8 ish

Any thoughts on moving my quest forward

Sam Morgan Moore
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:29:36 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Shutterless
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:03:39 am »

Hello people.

I use Eyelike on H1

I am missing with this system shift or ultrawide.

I cant afford Alpa etc !

I also have nikkor glass 14, 24 28 shift etc.

My observations of the Nikkor glass is that (especially the older lenses) have a pretty big image circle maybe 15-18 MP worth on a 22mp back -plenty at 16bit for a good file

I have built a camera using a sinar standard and some other bits to get the nikkor glass correctly aligned to focus on the chip plane

Trouble is this system has no shutter - I have made some long exposure images by the 'hat method' where exposure is controlled by a 'hat' over the lense quickly removed and replaced - not very consistent! (I activate the electronic back by using B on a seperate copal shutter)

I want to make this into a useable system

So I need

a ) an electronic way of fooling the back into on/off in controllable short times

or

b ) A flat shutter that I could put behind the lens

Option a is preferable

my investigations of option b have come up with the 'packard shutter' and also the sinar DB shutter - both thin 'lensboard shutters' does anyone know any more

Also there is Copal number three shutter but it seems too thick and not to have a big enough whole in the middle to not obsure some of the projected image

A fast shutter time is not essential as proably shooting interiors 1/2s at f8 ish

Any thoughts on moving my quest forward

Sam Morgan Moore
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan:

You may have some relief soon in the form of tilt-shift solutions for H1/H2 from Hasselblad as well as 28mm HC lens for H1/H2.

But...I like your idea of pushing forward with options A's and B's and making something work.  You could use a SinarCam with Nikon mount board, although I don't think there's a way to interface with your Eyelike. By DB shutter, do you mean the Auto Aperture Shutter? Yes - that might work if you mounted the Nikkor on a DB board from Sinar.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Shutterless
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:51:44 am »

Steve,
I think a tilt / shift solution and a 28mm lens from hasselblad will make many people very happy..and would be a brilliant decision by hasselblad as it will give them the best allround option in the medium format slr market.
as an example, I need to buy a mf slr system now but am just able to hold off un til photkina..I hope....today I would buy either contax or mamiya because of the shift lenses available (hartblei, zoerk, mamiya etc).
If there are better movement options for a hasselblad, and the ultra wide lens I would buy into that system hands down..even though I prefer the look, feel, focussing, etc of the contax..the hasselblad with shifts and ultra wide just becomes much more flexible.
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Shutterless
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:22:38 am »

Steve..

"You may have some relief soon in the form of tilt-shift solutions for H1/H2 from Hasselblad as well as 28mm HC lens for H1/H2."

This is the reason the manufacturers should inform us what they are working on !

What if I went out and bought an Alpa or chandged to Sinar M and it was released the next week

-----------------------

"do you mean the Auto Aperture Shutter?"

I dont know what I mean - but probably this is what I mean

Do you know a source of accurate information on this product - preferably enginerring drawings.

How thick is it

does it mount in the Sinar standard and the accept this DB mount on the front of it

Where can I find out about DB mount and the specs of that too?
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Shutterless
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:08:39 am »

This is what Hasselblad wrote back to me when i asked them about a tilt/shift lens

Dear Marc
There has been a number of requests for a TS-lens over the years . The
main problem to make one as we see it, is to find the correct compromise
of focal length and adjustment amount. I don't think that it is
sufficient with one lens only . Possibly two or even three different
TS-lenses are necessary. Due to the complex mechanics such a lens is
quite expensive to develop and would probably sell in low numbers
compared to the fixed lens types. This would then produce a high cost
for each lens. This is what so far has made us a little bit reluctant to
start the development of TS-lenses. We are constantly monitoring what
photographers want and if we find a high enough demand, we could start
the development. Therefore it's in the future to tell if we will have
TS-lenses.

Best regards,
/Ove

---------------------------------------------------------
Ove Bengtson
Product Manager
Victor Hasselblad AB

They also have promised a new version of flexcolor (dedicated Hasselblad software) to be released at the photokina that will remove any barrel distortion
this is what they wrote back to me regarding the new barrel distortion issue.

Dear Marc
The distortion type of the HC35 is similar to that of any wide angle retro-focus lens. If you study the shape of the distortion graph you can see that the result that you got, is normal in this case. If you start from the center the distortion will increase until you reach about 27 mm, then it will start to decrease again. The distortion level at 35 mm image height is abóut the same as at 16 mm and this will produce the "wave" shaped distortion that you have seen.

The correction of distortion is quite complex and the function in PhotoShop is not capable of handling this type of distortion. It requires much more detailed knowledge abut the lens. In our software (FlexColor) we now have a function called DAC (Digital Apo Correction) where we automatically correct the image for lens "errors" such as chromatic aberration (available now) and distortion (available within one month). With this function you would get images that are completely and automatically corrected for distortion and chromatic aberration. This is possible because we have designed our lenses and we know exactly how they behave.

Best regards,
/Ove

---------------------------------------------------------
Ove Bengtson
Product Manager
Victor Hasselblad AB

Then again it might be that at the photokina they appear with a tilt/shift lens and no upgraded software, so keep your fingers crossed for both.

www.marcgerritsen.com

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Shutterless
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 11:19:36 am »

I send a file to haselblad so they could show me how the new flexcolor will perform regarding barrel distortion and moustach distortion. Today I got it back and it is dead straight.
What a relief, no more twiddeling in photoshop, I guess I have to wait until photokina for the new version to come out.
cheers
Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up