Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectacular sunset at Neist Point  (Read 4692 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Spectacular sunset at Neist Point
« on: August 26, 2017, 02:53:39 am »

The amazing cliffs and lighthouse of Neist Point, the westernmost land point on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, bathed in the soft light of a spectacular sunset.

With the Leica S (007), Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Spectacular sunset at Neist Point
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:38:08 am »

Spectacular indeed. Very painterly balance between warm and cold. A signature image.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 07:05:47 am »

Sumptuous shot. Neist Point is a favorite place of mine but I've never seen such a spectacular sky like this one.
I also like the landscape orientation – much different than the usual portrait…
Well done!
Francois

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:54:56 am »

Spectacular indeed. Very painterly balance between warm and cold. A signature image.

+1

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 11:15:58 am »

Beautiful light. Very well done.

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 05:54:28 pm »

+2
John
Flickr

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:56:58 pm »

Your images always have an amazing depth to them - it's masterful, truly.  And looking like that, why wouldn't Bonnie Prince Charlie have sped there like a bird on the wing!
Phil Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:51:13 am »

A splendid shot, Vieri. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:14:43 pm »

Nice one Vieri  ;)

As I live here, I have been to this point many times and in all weather conditions and no matter what, you can always come away with something worthwhile at this location, and even at the height of the season, you can pretty much guarantee to have the place mostly to yourself when the sun is setting.

Here is a tip for you Vieri or anyone else who is thinking of going to Neist Point for a sunset shoot, if you can be here on or around the shortest day of the year, then the sun sets on the horizon so that the tip of the headland appears to be pointing directly at the setting sun, which I have also shot several times, but which I will not show here of course, as I don't want to try and hijack Vieri's thread.

You may also find it interesting to know that the large hump of the headland is known locally as "An t-Aigeach" in Gaelic, which translates as "The Stallion", don't know why it is called The Stallion, but it just is. This is how you pronounce Neist Point, which means the "Headland of the Horse" and An t-Aigeach, if you want to practice your Gaelic  :)

Excellent shot Vieri and you must have really enjoyed yourself  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:33:42 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Cornfield

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:30:06 am »

The best image I have seen from this excellent location.  You should produce a video of the processing work required for this great image.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 10:13:01 pm »

Oh that is gorgeous!

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 03:18:22 am »

Thank you very much Oscar, I am glad you enjoyed the image and the use of light / colours! :)

Sumptuous shot. Neist Point is a favorite place of mine but I've never seen such a spectacular sky like this one.
I also like the landscape orientation – much different than the usual portrait…
Well done!

Thank you very much Francois! I love Neist (as all of Skye), and I like landscape orientation very much because of both the expressive possibilities and challenges it offers. The problem with it is that you have a large negative space to fill, which compositionally is not easy; and you have to create some leading lines towards the cliffs, which is easier, but which is much easier to do in portrait (and this is probably why portrait is more popular here). The sky and its beautiful reflection on the sea, stretching to paint the cliffs, gave me the interest I needed to fill the "compositional cove" in front of the lighthouse.

+1

Thank you! :)

Beautiful light. Very well done.

Thank you very much Rajan, I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

+2

Thank you John! :)

Your images always have an amazing depth to them - it's masterful, truly.  And looking like that, why wouldn't Bonnie Prince Charlie have sped there like a bird on the wing!

Thank you Phil for your very nice comment, I am humbled, much appreciated indeed :) Bonnie Prince Charlie perhaps sped there with a bit too much haste for his own good!

A splendid shot, Vieri. Bravo!

Thank you very much Russ, I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Nice one Vieri  ;)

As I live here, I have been to this point many times and in all weather conditions and no matter what, you can always come away with something worthwhile at this location, and even at the height of the season, you can pretty much guarantee to have the place mostly to yourself when the sun is setting.

Here is a tip for you Vieri or anyone else who is thinking of going to Neist Point for a sunset shoot, if you can be here on or around the shortest day of the year, then the sun sets on the horizon so that the tip of the headland appears to be pointing directly at the setting sun, which I have also shot several times, but which I will not show here of course, as I don't want to try and hijack Vieri's thread.

You may also find it interesting to know that the large hump of the headland is known locally as "An t-Aigeach" in Gaelic, which translates as "The Stallion", don't know why it is called The Stallion, but it just is. This is how you pronounce Neist Point, which means the "Headland of the Horse" and An t-Aigeach, if you want to practice your Gaelic  :)

Excellent shot Vieri and you must have really enjoyed yourself  ;)

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much, I am glad you liked it! :) Without having the luck of living there, I have been to Neist many times (going to Skye for a decade, and never missing Neist!) and you are right, Neist is generous photographically speaking. I haven't been there in winter (around the end of December), but I definitely would love to if chances arise, and if I do I'll make sure to remember your suggestion, thank you very much indeed!

Gaelic always sounded extremely cryptic to me :D :D I'll have to practice!

Thanks again!

The best image I have seen from this excellent location.  You should produce a video of the processing work required for this great image.

Thank you very much indeed for your very kind comment! :) Sadly, I don't do instructional videos and they are not in the planning for the near future either, sorry about that. However, I do a daily post-processing session every morning for a few hours during my Workshops, since I believe that post-processing is extremely important - and very much neglected :)

Oh that is gorgeous!

Thank you very much Paul, I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:42 am »

Another great image. Could be my eyes, but it seems that the horizon is tilting just a little bit to the right? Also a hint of barrel distortion on the horizon?

Sorry, but the image is so good, those two nits came to my mind.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 03:23:12 pm »

The amazing cliffs and lighthouse of Neist Point, the westernmost land point on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, bathed in the soft light of a spectacular sunset.

With the Leica S (007), Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri

Fantastic shot. I have been there a number of times and never had this kind of weather. Well done besides what was given to you. I'm running a workshop next week and hope to get this kind of situation.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 03:07:45 am »

Another great image. Could be my eyes, but it seems that the horizon is tilting just a little bit to the right? Also a hint of barrel distortion on the horizon?

Sorry, but the image is so good, those two nits came to my mind.

Hello Paulo, thank you for your message, glad you enjoyed it :) The horizon is level, and there is no barrel either. What you see, and what gives the impression of tilt & curvature, is the far coast and sea currents / sea mist in front of it, that are "turning down" so to speak. If you check the horizon on the left side of the frame, as well as the lighthouse, you'll see that the horizon is straight.

Fantastic shot. I have been there a number of times and never had this kind of weather. Well done besides what was given to you. I'm running a workshop next week and hope to get this kind of situation.

Thank you very much Hans, I am glad you enjoyed it! :) Yes, great weather at Neist is not really common... I have been there a number of times too, and sometimes found so thick a fog that you couldn't see the headland, let alone to lighthouse! Good luck to you for next week, let us know how that went.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up