Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D850: Preordering Strategy  (Read 4972 times)

bjanes

Nikon D850: Preordering Strategy
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:22 am »

The D850 has been announced and is available for pre-order, and I have placed my pre-order with B&H. However, my pre-ordering experience with B&H and the D800e was not favorable. NPS members were reportedly in a separate queue and handled separate from regular non-NPS members such as myself. At that time B&H would not reveal my position in the queue but would inform me that I had moved up a certain number of places. There was considerable delay and I finally found the camera at Sammy's in California and cancelled my order at B&H.

I have read that small regional camera stores often get one or two of a new release and one may snatch up the camera from one of these if you find it in stock through an internet search or merely calling multiple vendors. Another strategy is to place multiple pre-orders and cancel those that do not come through. This may appear somewhat dishonest, but may be justified by the lack of candidness on the part of the vendor.

I expect there will be considerable demand for this new camera and am anxious to get the camera as soon as possible to implement my work in extreme macro where first curtain electronic shutter and fully electronic shutter are highly desirable.

Bill Janes

bjanes

Re: Nikon D850: Preordering Strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:16:50 am »

I have read that small regional camera stores often get one or two of a new release and one may snatch up the camera from one of these if you find it in stock through an internet search or merely calling multiple vendors. Another strategy is to place multiple pre-orders and cancel those that do not come through. This may appear somewhat dishonest, but may be justified by the lack of candidness on the part of the vendor.

I see that Roberts Camera has a good pre-order strategy. You place your pre-order and when the camera is available they will call you to determine if you want to proceed with the purchase.

Bill

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:33 am »

I would expect Nikon to have manufactured a large number of these ahead of time.

They cannot not have known the amount of interest this is going to generate and they need significant revenue before year end.

Mine is due to ship on Sept-8 here in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

TomFrerichs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 03:49:41 pm »

Nikon Rumors (https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/28/nikon-apologises-for-not-being-able-to-fulfill-all-d850-pre-orders-on-september-8th.aspx/) has a post supposedly containing an apology from Nikon about not having enough product.

Of course, like all good rumors, there's no source for the notice.  :D

I pre-ordered on the day of announcement at a branch of a local retailer. Supposedly I was the first to preorder in that store.  And with luck I might actually end up with one.

But Mr. Murphy still rules the universe. :)

Tom Frerichs

I would expect Nikon to have manufactured a large number of these ahead of time.

They cannot not have known the amount of interest this is going to generate and they need significant revenue before year end.

Mine is due to ship on Sept-8 here in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

m.heijkoop

• Philosopher
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:53:19 am »

I never pre-order and prefer a little patience  ;)
BrightLight!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:23:56 am »

I agree, and that's how I usually do it myself. Wait till the initial price has dropped a bit, and save a couple of hundreds towards the purchase of e.g. lenses.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bjanes

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:38 am »

I agree, and that's how I usually do it myself. Wait till the initial price has dropped a bit, and save a couple of hundreds towards the purchase of e.g. lenses.

Cheers,
Bart

That's usually sound advice. However, the D850 has some features lacking in my D800e and for which I have a pressing need. Among these are decent live view, electronic first curtain shutter, silent mode, and hopefully use of EFCS without the need to be in mirror lockup mode. Accordingly, I did not wait. However, this runs the risk of dealing with some teething issues on the first iteration of a new model.

Bill

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:21:38 am »

That's usually sound advice. However, the D850 has some features lacking in my D800e and for which I have a pressing need. Among these are decent live view, electronic first curtain shutter, silent mode, and hopefully use of EFCS without the need to be in mirror lockup mode. Accordingly, I did not wait. However, this runs the risk of dealing with some teething issues on the first iteration of a new model.

Hi Bill,

Yes, I agree that pressing needs may require to dive in early. That happened with me when the first FF cameras with Live View and AF manual adjustment were released (and my prior camera body required lens adjustments for AF that might conflict with the new body). But when ever I can wait a bit, I get monetarily rewarded, which also feels good.

And even in the case I just described, my usual dealer didn't want to match the (€ 200 lower) price of his large competitor, so I switched dealers. A week later they did lower their prices to the same level, but by then they lost a customer, me (and I also purchased a new WA-zoom lens together with the body, because I saved enough on the body purchase to justify the bundle).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hogloff

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »

Exactly...especially with the issues many new release have. Don't really understand the pre-order phenomena...sort of like those waiting in line for days to get a new release iPhone. Can't your existing gear do you for a few months more...at least until the first firmware release or recall. ;D

hogloff

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

I even go further and purchase used most of the time. I average about 40% discount on my cameras...and the majority are basically new...more than half still having a warranty left on them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up